Unlocked smart phone experience ?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by orbitz, Dec 5, 2012.

1. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Does anyone here own or has experiences owning an unlocked smart phone? I want to get a smart phone this year and am thinking about buying a factory unlocked one. (2) This will free me from being stuck with any carrier for two years, which in theory should cost me less in the long run, and (2) it'll allow me to use the phone when I travel overseas since all I would have to do is buy a local SIM card for the phone.
  2. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

I had an unlocked iphone for a while to get a different carrier. I had no trouble with it at all. I don't know how or why it worked, I wasn't the one who unlocked it :lol:
  3. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Yup, unlocked phones are good. Like you said, it's convenient to use the same phone when you travel, just switch out the sim cards. I haven't unlocked my android/smartphone handset yet, but have done it on my older phone with no problems.
  4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Thanks. I've been googling information about using unlock phone and think I'll go with buying an unlock phone from the manufacture and then go the month-to-month prepaid route with a carrier of my choice.