Universal Sports vs. Ice Network?

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Fridge_Break, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

It's about time to figure out how I am going to watch skating online this season, and I was just wondering if anyone has any insight regarding Ice Network or Universal Sports. Mods, please move the thread if I'm posting in the wrong forum (wasn't sure where to go with this..)

I've had IN ($30, I believe) for the past 3 or 4 seasons, but notice that Universal showed the GP last year for around $15, and then Worlds for $10. But I don't think Universal covers SA or US Nationals, and IN doesn't cover Europeans and Worlds.

It's kind of a toss up. Just was wanting some opinions as to what people have done in the past/which is the better deal. Thanks!

2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I've actually had both in the past, and I tended to watch IN. I like their set up, and they have had qualifying events that aren't on US.

3. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I usually go with IN because I enjoy watching the US Regional and Sectional competitions, as well as US Nationals obviously!

4. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I got both last year because IN wasn't always timely in loading the GP events each day. UniSports is good, but the one thing I don't like about it are the ads that sometimes make the screen smaller, and there's no way to get rid of them.

5. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Sounds like continuing with IN is the way to go... thanks for the input! :)

6. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

If you can afford it stick with the Icenetwork if only because they show the US Nationals. I wish they would include the 4CC though because it doesn't seem like any north american TV or website shows it live. I had to stream it from a Chinese site last season. You would think with the 4CC being in Colorado Springs that maybe IN or Universal would show it live but it doesn't look like they will.

7. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

I have had IN since its inception and was satisfied with the set up and quality of the videos but last season for some reason I had a lot of problems with the video streaming, freezing, jerking and blackouts, the same problems happened on my work computer as well as my home computer. I troubleshot till I was blue in the face and could not get it to work. I won't be renewing my subscription with IN. I ended up subscribing to US last season and I had no problems at all. I will be staying with US this season.

8. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I had major problems with IN last year because they dropped the slower speed transmission (after assuring me that it would be available) and at the time I could not get anything faster. It took me two months to get my $$ back from them. Long boring story. I had no problem with US. And as I attend Nationals in person, coverage for that is not an issue.

9. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

It's an easy question for me because I don't get Universal. So I watch icenetwork.

10. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I think they're talking about the online service that Universal offers for a subscription. Not the tv broadcasts.

11. dewey

dewey Member

I had the same issue as Kitty and Sass with IN. The videos were unwatchable on my regular speed DSL.

12. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

For me it will probably be universal sports. I will just go to SA and Nationals. :p

13. Jarrett

Oh I just checked UniversalSports website and it looks like SA will be covered.

Watch onlineDate Time Event Watch Online
    Oct. 21 10 p.m. ET
    Men's Short, Short Dance
    Oct. 22
    2:45 p.m. ET
    Men's Free, Free Dance

10 p.m. ET
    Pairs Short, Ladies Short

Oct. 23
    4 p.m. ET
    Pairs Free, Ladies Free

10 p.m. ET
    Exhibition Gala

14. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

^ Here is a link to the information Jarrett posted:
    http://www.universalsports.com/figure-skating/events/event=US0302345/viewers-guide/index.html

From their description, it sounds like the UniversalSports.com online GP package covers Skate America this season.

The Universal Sports TV listings are still TBA (Oct. 21-23) for Skate America.

IceNetwork's subscription page:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/subscribe/

Price is $39.95 for the 2011-12 season.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  15. Jarrett

Thanks, your post is much more useful. lol :) I can't wait for the GP!

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

So does that mean there is no "on demand"

I am generally in hotels and thier idea of "high speed" :lol: You aren't watching figure skating live there....

So if Universal doesn't give me an on demand option then it's not really useful.

17. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

I woudl really like to know if Universal does 'on demand'. I find their streaming technology a lot better than icenetwoks (unless they have moved away form flash)

18. AJ Skatefan

I'm pretty sure they did "on demand" before.

19. AJ Skatefan

If you look on the Universal Sports website you see this: (directly copied)

2011 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series Package

UniversalSports.com offers LIVE and on-demand coverage of all seven stops in the 2011 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating. The 2011 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series Package includes LIVE and on-demand access to every men's, women's, pairs and ice dance short and free skate from the following competitions: Skate America, Skate Canada International, Cup of China, Trophee Eric Bompard, Cup of Russia, NHK Trophy and Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final. Price: $14.95

That should answer the questions about "On Demand" It's easy to go look....

20. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

one of my biggest gripes about Universal sports is that it is VERY easy to get spoiled. On ice network, I just go directly to the event page and then I will not see the results. On universal sports they put "suggested videos" next to the video you are watching which often contain the results of the event you are currently watching. This makes me incredibly irritated.

21. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

After how ever many years there has been TV and figure skating has always been delayed broadcast (not just hours but days or weeks) - sometimes with just a snippet of the winning performance by an American - being "spoiled" is a small price to pay to being able to watch all skaters in all disciplines live. Even if you have to do it in the middle of the night.

22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    This!

23. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

I had such trouble with Ice Network last year (Videos freezing and returning to the beginning, so that it took you days to watch an event. And then sometimes the videos would run at a fast forward type speed.) and their support was less than helpful. Several people that I know had the same problems, so we all complained. Ice Network claimed that there was no problem. And now they've raised their price to $40. Geez. I watched Worlds on Universal Sports and was pleased with the coverage, quality, and price. I'll go with them for GP, and then if Ice Network offers a special deal for Nationals, maybe I'll subscribe then.

ETA: I'm also guessing that anything I want to see from Regionals and Sectionals will eventually wind up on You Tube, also.

24. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Not when icenetwork makes it much easier NOT to be spoiled.

25. shan

shan Well-Known Member

ITA I hate having the results spoiled!

26. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I thought Universal Sports charged $15 for the Grand Prix season and then an additional $15 subscriptions for Worlds. Did they let already-subscribed GP customers watch Worlds for free?

If not, you're only saving $10, at best.

27. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

It looks like if you have a cable/satellite service that gets Universal Sports, you can watch the online streaming for free!

I'm trying to figure out how to log in through Direct tv now..

ETA: I got logged in, but can't find the page that said it originally. Guess I'll call customer service and ask....

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  28. figurefan

figurefan New Member

I had the same issue so went over to Universal Sports. No problems to speak of and it was nice to watch the programs without on and off freeze ups. I just subscribed to Universal today, can't wait for next weekend. :)

29. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Did you buy the package? It was included with your subscription only for the first couple of months.

30. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I'm still trying to decide which one to subscribe to. My old computer occasionally had issues with IN but I suspect that things might be a little better with my new computer. Still, I have DSL and a wireless connection that is also used to stream Netflix. So I'm wondering if I should go to US or go back to IN. I wonder if US will give me less issues and work faster with my connection than IN.

There's also the issue of Nationals. US still doesn't cover that online and I don't have US on TV either. IN has extensive coverage of Nationals. Decisions, decisions.