Universal Sports question

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by TanithandBenFan, Aug 11, 2014.

1. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan Author of the Ice and Edge Series

Question for those who have the Universal Sports channel - do they usually show the Grand Prix events on same-day tape delay? I'm debating whether to add the channel or renew my Icenetwork subscription. I find IN is sometimes slow about archiving the day's events, and I don't need IN for Nationals since I'll be there. It would be nice to be able to tune to US and not to have to hook my computer up to the TV to watch on the big screen.

2. once_upon

once_upon Wishing on a star

IIRC, it was tape delayed for at least 1-2 days. With numerous back to back of the same event. Often, there was not a description of the programming. Since I was recording them, I got numerous recordings of the same program. That was frustrating. Because of previous commitments, I wasn't always able to watch live on IN, so US was a great back-up.

3. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Yes, if I remember correctly. Then they are repeated frequently over the rest of the week.

4. lefeury1

lefeury1 Active Member

I'm wondering if their coverage will be any better that NBC this year. I ordered Universal Sports last season and sadly they only showed 2 tiers.
    NBC supposedly has more coverage coming this season. Anyone?

5. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I don't know anything yet about what Universal Sports will offer this year. In the past, they've had good coverage of the Grand Prix (not live, of course, but usually same-day or day-after), plus also Europeans, 4CCs, and Worlds. So, much more than NBC provides. However, I was really not happy with Universal's coverage of 2014 Worlds. They only allotted 1 hour for the long programs in each discipline for Worlds, which was not nearly enough and less than they've provided in the past. I've written them a couple times to complain about that. I don't know if it will be better, worse, or the same this year.

I'm planning to wait until the week of the first GP, then check my TV listings to see how many hours of coverage Universal Sports will provide for the event. If it's good, I'll sign up again and get the channel. If it's not, I'll subscribe to IceNetwork or look for some alternative (streaming international channels?).

6. Simone411

Simone411 Celebrating 4 year anniversary of surviving NF

I'm like the others here. I'm not sure yet what Universal Sports will show. Also, I'm not sure how US is offered with cable. I have DirecTV, and with it, you have to order the Sports Pack which it includes US (channel 625). Last year, the Sports Pack was around $12.99 per month or something close to that. I don't know how much it is this year.

7. SkaterDon

SkaterDon Member

I just scrolled through my DirecTV account which includes the Sports Pack (Universal Sports) and there was nothing listed for Skate America this weekend. I added this package when they were showing the GP series perhaps 2 years ago.

8. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

It's because Uni Sports isn't showing anything of Skate America. Their coverage doesn't start until Skate Canada next week. I have no idea why, very frustrating IMO.

9. SkaterDon

SkaterDon Member

Thanks for the information clairecloutier. I was going to cancel the Sports Pack this morning.

10. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

Universal Sports has never done Skate America. I really do not understand it because we get short programs and free skate coverage of all the other GP events. Skate America should be the showcase for our top US skaters. You would think if anything it would get the most TV time. Instead SA gets the least TV coverage of any of the GP events. It has been this way for years. I wonder if it is because USFS is trying to get more people to sign up for IN by keeping much of SA off TV?!?

11. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

They did SA at least one year...I believe it was 2008 (was living in NYC at the time so can pinpoint). They showed the short dance in its entirety without commentary which at the time blew me away.

But yeah, they don't seem to ever have the rights now.

12. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

The reason Skate America coverage is different is because the contract is different. Skate America (and Nationals) is a USFSA contract. The rest of the Grand Prix (plus Europeans and Worlds) events are ISU contracted events. I may have missed a couple of events but essentially that's it. The amount of coverage and how much we get changes year to year as the contracts change.

13. A.H.Black

14. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Last year Universal Sports had a free preview for a couple of weeks during the Grand Prix series. I hope for that again.

orientalplane likes this.
  15. lefeury1

lefeury1 Active Member

They aired a 2 hr segment of SA which was essentially the same as the NBC coverage.

16. A.H.Black

It is the same as NBC. Universal repeats the NBC broadcast - usually several times.