Universal Sports going off free tv..

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by LEO59, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

Yes, but Universal Sports is now gone even from paid cable subscription packages that used to carry it as part of the higher-level packages (like Comcast), not only from free TV. :(

2. Sandy

Sandy New Member

Why can't Universal have the pay for the premier videos like before. I did that for the Grand Prix.

3. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

I think you might be confusing Universal Sports TV with Universalsports.com.

4. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

My thought as well. I guess if we want to watch 4CC and Worlds, we'll have to pay to subscribe to www.UniversalSports.com and watch it online (or on TV via cable from home computer). Kinda sucks, since I've already paid for an IceNetwork subscription and never thought I'd have to pay for both. :mad:

5. Sandy

Sandy New Member

Yes, you are right, I watched it on Universalsports.com. Will it still be available on their website??

6. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Yes, it appears so. See my previous post.

7. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I think a lot of people are confusing the TV station and the online US. They aren't the same although they are owned by the same company. You pay $15 for a subscription for the online station.

8. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

What would happen if everyone who lost their Universal Sports on Comcast, etc., changed to DIRECT TV?

9. Sandy

Sandy New Member

Not everyone could do that.

10. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Then Universal Sports would jump to another provider that most people don't get.

Last night I had a nightmare about trying to find Worlds coverage - I had TVs and computers and couldn't get them to bring up skating to save my life...I kept mispunching and mistyping channels and web addresses.

I still say that Speedy is the one to blame for all this!

11. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

On Monday, after the NBC live showing of the Philadelphia Flyers vs NY Rangers outdoor ice hockey game, they advertised a feature about a 1982 hockey challenge series between Canada and Russia to be shown on the new NBC Sports Channel. Well, I found it, it is located on my dial about 5 channels after ESPN, it is listed as "NBCSP." And yes, it seems to be taped sports stories, not spontaneous competitions. (The story about the hockey series was beautifully written and directed.) I don't think we will see any competitive skating here. And I wonder where all of the skiing will go? I am a fan of most sports, and would have flipped to US if The Food Channel or HGTV was not piquing my interest.

I am technologically challenged, but I guess if no other channel picks up the void, I might try US on line? And I guess you people are telling me that my 7 year old tv won't adapt, but that a new tv might be used as a conduit to US on line on my tv screen. One other question is whether or not Ice Network can pick up the slack and cover all of the competitions that US has.

12. rfisher

You have to have an internet capable TV. Many of the new HiDef TVs offer this. I bought a Sony. It's got wireless capability. I watched all the GP series on the big screen. :)

Something is going on with US channel. All the TV guide directory says is *sports* with no specific programming titles. Maybe it's all part of the change or something. I have it and the new NBC sports channel so it doesn't matter, but there won't be any skating on the NBC sports channel until the winter olympics. What I've read was that its focus is on NHL and soccer (they think that's going to be the next big thing) and some of the summer olympic broadcasting. They will still have quite a few hunting/fishing programing left from when this was the Outdoor channel. I bought the US online subscription as well to watch 4CC and hopefully Worlds since neither are on the IN lineup at this time.

13. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Now the channel comes up as "channel not available" - not a promising sign. I don't mind relying on their internet site for these programs, but I wonder how long they can keep operating and afford the licensing fees for these events if they only have Direct TV as as subscriber.

14. Sandy

Sandy New Member

When and where can you but an online subscription for Universal Sports?

Thanks

15. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

When it's closer to the events coming up, just look on the website.

16. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

This is all apparently still being hashed out, as I supposed. According to this article from yesterday:
    Article on US transition

17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed that these "negotiations" will include "Bright House Networks", which has never had Universal Sports - at least in FL.

18. AJ Skatefan

So my friends, keep hope alive!

19. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

I don't really like this quote...

Source: Universal Sports channel didn't disappear, it just seems that way

20. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

21. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I wonder if enough people get direct tv to keep them afloat. I am not sure of the logic behind charging extra for stuff most people avoid when it is free. Do they still show informercials in the AM? That's an attractive selling point.

I'd be more likely to plunk down $ to get Eurosport ungeoblocked.

22. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I don't like it either. I hope their elitist attitude ends up biting them in the ass. I'm happy with TWC giving me Expanded Basic for only $9.00/month - between that and my Road Runner I pay only $56.99/month for Time Warner, and I intend to keep it that way, with or without US.

23. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

They really need to add HD and more programming (instead of showing the same thing 10 times a week) to have a good argument for a premium fee model. Showing *every* skater at every event *live* would be a good start. (every event they cover, at least)

24. AJ Skatefan

I thought the deal would be that they would broadcast in HD, which would be awesome.

25. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

Letter from Universal Sports CEO David Sternberg
    Published: Jan 4, 2012

"In addition to DIRECTV, we are pleased to announce that subscribers of MTC Cable (New York), Waitsfield Cable (Vermont), Cascade Communications (Oregon), Hiawatha Broadband (Minnesota) and IPTV-distributor SkyAngel will now also have access to Universal Sports Network."

Full letter @

http://www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/article/newsid=573543.html

26. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

27. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or are they shooting themselves in the foot here? :huh:

28. Lavergne100

Lavergne100 New Member

"acraven" posted a link to Universal Sports that lists what stations they are using on to show Universal Sports in different states. (Thanks for the link, BTW...) For Chicago, ILLINOIS which is where I live, it lists:

Comcast 251
    RCN 51
    WOW! 196
    NBC over-the-air 5.3

I have Comcast. And Univ Sports used to be on channel 251, then switched last month (without telling me!) to channel 362 or something. I had to scroll thru every station looking for it! Thanks Comcast!

It disappeared entirely on New Year's Day. What a joke! I pay an arm and a leg for Comcast and have the upgraded, upgraded package to get Speedvision for my husband. So, he has all these extra sports stations and now I don't even have ONE! All I care about is figure skating and gymnastics and it's rarely on regular stations like NBC. I guess I'll have to go to You Tube from now on and just hope the lucky folks who actually get Universal Sports are nice enough to post stuff on there...

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  29. rfisher

I doubt it. They negotiated with DirectTV which has a huge distribution.On DirectTV, it's part of a bigger sports package (10 channels). Figure skating is a very small part of the overall sports programming. We tend to forget that.

30. rfisher

Um, you can always pay the very reasonable fee for universalsports.com and watch online.