Universal Sports going off free tv..

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by LEO59, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Confirmed US is gone from FIOS in Boston. Guess its time for an IN subscription.

2. Angela-Fan

Angela-Fan Well-Known Member

I'm in south jersey too..I'll be a happy skating fan if US stays :)

3. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

The Universal Sports page has been changed to say "Did you lose US?" When you go to that link, it reads -

Unless you have DIRECTV, fill out the form below to tell your TV provider that you want Universal Sports! When you're done, double your voice by calling 1-800-55-GET-US.

4. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

I have Comcast in Chicago and Universal Sports has completely disappeared. :(

5. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

That's interesting Doris; I also have Comcast in CT but as of Jan 1, 12 midnight my listings say "off air."

I did watch part of the 2011 retrospective and now have Hip Hip Chin Chin stuck in my head.

6. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

7. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

I just checked my Universal Sports channel and officially have a black screen.

8. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Universal Sports is off the air on FIOS in Northern New Jersey.

9. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

We lost it too.

Apparently, the Guide download was just a teaser.

10. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I just checked. I got the message, too...tho' there are sports still listed on the DVT guide..

Sucks big time..

11. roxynova

roxynova New Member

Gone from Comcast in Philly. I am so mad at them... Went to an online chat with a customer rep. to complain. Maybe if we all bombard them...

12. nyskatefan

nyskatefan Active Member

I have Cablevision on Long Island and we lost UN too.
    I do have a question though ... wasn't UN part of the NBC group? I am thinking that maybe the "new" NBC sports network will carry the skating next season. It would seem crazy for them to drop skating when they will be doing the 2014 Olympics and will want to promote it.

13. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Gone. I have Comcast and live near the Boston area. I now have a new channel called LWN which flashes on the screen, even though my on screen listing still says US. There is a slew of programs scheduled for today on LWN sort of like a PBS channel, kid friendly, eco friendly, et al.

14. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

A new benefit for people who have DirecTV--you can now sign in to Universal Sports using your DirecTV account, and you no longer have to pay for live/premium streaming events! Just click on the link on the top right corner to sign in.

15. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

:cheer2: I do hope either US or Icenetwork makes a last minute deal to show 4CC and or Worlds. Neither is planning to do so at present. :( Neither showed 4cc last year, but I hoped they'd get a contract since it's in the US.

And that new NBC channel is Versus. If your cable package doesn't include it, you won't have it either.

16. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

Worlds will be on Universal Sports again this year. US has the rights to Worlds through 2014. I assume US will have coverage of 4CC this year as well (they had TV coverage the last two years).

17. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Thanks.

18. toepick

toepick Member

Gone from Comcast in DC too. Unreal! This channel is the only reason I pay for a big cable package.

19. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I never had UN on my Comcast. I just lost my (free) wireless connection too. :( It looks like DIRECT TV with my own wireless connection will be my gift to myself this year.

20. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

I live in the Houston area and it's gone as well. This completely sucks.

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wonder what options the new "NBC Sports" channel (formerly VERSUS) will provide.

22. roxynova

roxynova New Member

Here's what an article in the Philly Inquirer says RE: new NBC Sports Network:

Programming this first year will lean heavily on the Olympics, 38 regular-season Major League Soccer games, 13 IndyCar Series races, 14 hours a day of Tour de France coverage for most of July, 90 regular-season NHL games along with 50 NHL playoff games, 20 hours of horse-racing coverage around the Triple Crown, and 40 college football, basketball, and hockey games.

Sounds like if it's an Olympic year, we may see skating on NBC Sports Network...

23. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Nothing new, but this is what Universal Sports posted on their facebook page today:

24. Sandy

Sandy New Member

I have sent many of those messages to Verizon FIOS and called the telephone number many times. The only problem is when you call the telephone number you get recordings from Verizon and by the time you get a PERSON, they can't help or know who can help. This is totally an unbelieveable (sp) situation that we are in. And Verizon is saying, "Programming is currently unavailable from content provider", which is Universal. It is Verizon that will not negotiate. It seems Direct TV is the only provider that has signed on so far.
    I wish I could find someone at Verizon FIOS that we can speak too.
    I not only lost the TV programming but we cannot watch online on the website. I thought, maybe, we would be able to pay to watch online!!

25. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

That's not what it said. It said it would show the Olympics. Which are the summer games so they don't have any skating.

26. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

I've previously purchased premium online content (video) from universalsports.com and I just went on their site today and could still login to my account and watch the premium video (via Silverlight), as well as the free videos available on their website. It looks like they are also continuing to sell online subscriptions for upcoming live events in other sports (not FS, but it is too early for 2012 Worlds info to be out anyway):

http://www.universalsports.com/rugby/viewers-guide/index.html
    http://www.universalsports.com/alpine-skiing/viewers-guide/index.html

I do not have cable or DirecTV, just a regular user account with universalsports.com

ETA from UniversalSports.com FAQ page:

The FAQ page contains more details about Universal Sports TV's transition from broadcast + cable to HD cable/satellite only.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  27. Lavergne100

Lavergne100 New Member

I have Comcast in the Chicago suburbs. I always got Universal Sports until today. I clicked on the station and it wasn't there anymore. Happy New Year! Gee, thanks Comcast. I went through all the stations, thinking maybe they "renamed" it or something, but to no avail. It's gone: Poof! Where can I possible watch figure skating now? This is so frustrating! I'm so mad! All Comcast ever seems to do is increase my bill under the guise of "upgrading." Every time they upgrade, I LOSE stations! Sorry for the rant, but I'm really upset.

ks1227 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. wit's end

wit's end New Member

No luck with RCN in NYC (Manhattan) either. I'll keep checking and let you know if anything changes.

29. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I see that there will now be an NBC Sports channel coming in early January. That is all I know about it for now, but hopefully it will carry a lot of what Univeral Sports used to show.

30. roxynova

roxynova New Member

To clarify, if it's a Winter Olympic year, we may see skating on this network - of course, it's likely going to be on the main NBC channel as it is typically worthy of primetime on these rare occasions!