Universal Sports going off free tv..

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by LEO59, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Sandy

Sandy New Member

Happy Holidays to everyone!!

There is now a message on from Verizon on their main Menu Messages -

On or after January 1, 2012, Universal Sports will no longer carry content through your local broadcaster on Channel WNBC - 464.

The change was not initiated by Verizon. Instead,Universal Sports has decided not to renew their agreements with local providers to carry this content.

They go on to say sorry for any inconvenience and thank us for being loyal customers!!

I am very sad about this news and I am wondering where we will be able to watch figure skating. Ice Channel seems to always have a problem with their satellite, not worth $39.95 if we cannot see everything!!

Does anyone know where else we could watch the figure skating events that will be coming up!

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I haven't had any trouble with Ice Network this season. You can also watch figure skating on Universal Sports website for a subscription fee. They should offer a subscription for watching Worlds. NBC and Ice Network will cover US Nationals.

3. Sandy

Sandy New Member

Thanks AJ--

Do you have to watch it when they first show it or is there a video you can watch anytime like Uni Sports?

4. AJ Skatefan

No everything is also on On Demand. Ice Network won't be showing Worlds as far as I know though.

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Looks like NBC is creating its own sports channel to go head-to-head with ESPN.

Maybe this is why many think Comcast and Universal Sports are parting ways?

6. AJ Skatefan

7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Including more fluff pieces :D

8. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

The NBC Sports channel is the old Versus (VS) channel. It is just becoming NBC Sports.

Comcast and Universal sports aren't parting ways. The following is from the Universal site.

Up until now you have received Universal Sports from you local NBC provider. They just happened to broadcast it over one of their optional channels on Comcast. If you receive it in the future it will be because Universal Sports and Comcast actually come together to make a contract.

9. Sandy

Sandy New Member

I really am very confused.

Verizon FIOS is saying that Uni Sports says that they have decided not to renew their agreements with local providers to carry this content.

Universal Sports is saying they are in advanced negotiations with many other television providers throughout the country and expect to confirm additional distribution come January 1.

Who do we trust??

I do not beleive that the NBC Sports Channel is going to carry a lot of figure skating, if they will be competing with ESPN. It is very sad that Figure Skating cannot be shown on TV. People watch the sports that THEY enjoy on TV. It will be a big loss if, we, cannot watch our sport.

10. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I loved all of the skiing, I believe also gymnastics, as well as the skating on Universal. I sure hope that the Universal coverage will pop up somewhere.

11. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

The two statements are not mutually exclusive. US had contracts that allowed for one arrangement where local providers carried the content for free. They don't want to do that any more and are currently negotiating to get their channel carried like a normal cable channel where they get a paid a fee.

Now Verizon FIOS is trying to spin it like if they don't come to a new agreement it's all US's fault and US is trying to spin it as they are going to be on more than Direct TV eventually, but they are both saying the exact same thing once you remove the spin -- the current agreements are expiring and you are only going to get US if your cable company signs new ones.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Well, my Comcast service carries Versus; it doesn't carry US. So I hope the figure skating gets moved to Versus (or whatever it's going to be called) if Comcast can't come to an agreement and start showing US in all markets.

13. Sandy

Sandy New Member

14. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

This is getting ridiculous. If you want Sunday Ticket, you need DirectTV. If you want US, you need DISH, and if you need reliable internet, you need cable from one of the providers licensed by your town. No wonder YouTube is so popular. Even if they play Whack-A-Mole and take the vids off as they find them, they're usually there long enough for most to get a chance at them.

15. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

US is on DirectTV. It's part of an optional sports package. It is not part of the basic DirectTV package.

16. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I'm confused by your reference to DISH. DISH has a channel called Universal but it is not Universal Sports. DISH has never had Universal Sports. The only provider to have Universal Sports after January 1st will be DirectTV. At least for now.

The Universal help page goes on to explain -

It seems clear that Universal thinks they can make more money and provide more services by going to subscription distribution. Maybe they are right. I think they are taking a risk.

17. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Two days ago, I talked to a Comcast rep about the US issue, and she assured me that we would not be losing US in this area.

Bull. Shit.

Comcast in North Georgia has officially screwed its customers. They're now broadcasting some bullshit channel with ancient series from the 60s and 70s like Dragnet, Adam 12, and the like, even though the cable guide still shows the channel (247) as Universal Sports and the programming schedule for it, and there's no new channel showing up anywhere in the lineup as an alternative.

I'm so pissed right now I could spit nails.

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

We've been getting that channel in my area of FL for some time; instead of Universal Sports, even when our local NBC affiliate could have carried it.

19. LEO59

LEO59 New Member

Update: I was watching Sking again today and now Universal Sports has added "Time-Warner Cable" to the list of those who may not be carrying it on Jan 1 2012 on its message scroll at the bottom of its screen...

20. Sandy

Sandy New Member

It seems that many providers are not going with the new Universal Sports, maybe, they will not make the change if they only have one or two providers.

21. missing

missing Well-Known Member

I have Time Warner cable, and its on screen program listings have nothing for Universal Sports starting Jan. 1.

22. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I have Comcast here in CT, and I have listings past Jan 1!!

Plus tonight, US is airing a skating retrospective for 2011 at 8 PM. When I checked to see whether the guide was updated, there it was.

I have scheduled to record it :)

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Let us know what happens, Doris!

24. AJ Skatefan

I also have Comcast and have listings past Jan 1 but they're cooking shows and travel show. No sports.

25. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I had Skiing, and a repeat of the year end figure skating retrospective, and the gymnastics retrospective.

26. AJ Skatefan

What's listed for Jan. 2nd and 3rd?

27. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I'm in South Jersey (Comcast)and checked through next Wednesday and there are all kinds of sports listed..skiing, skating, cycling bobsledding..If I keep US, I'll never post in a Tara/Michelle thread ever again..:p

28. AJ Skatefan

I'm jealous....

29. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I'll trade you my US for Life and you can beam me to SJ and the Kween's reception..

Right now they are replaying Gachinski's lp from Worlds.on US..to Brian Orser's Oly lp music..Had to leave the room..My eyes hurt..

30. AJ Skatefan

It's a deal, kwanette. Luckily, I have Canadian tv to watch 4CC and Worlds.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.