Universal Sports going off free tv..

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by LEO59, Sep 12, 2011.

1. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I hope your Comcast person knows what they're talking about.

2. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

So do I (Comcast in Philly suburb area). I actually watch most of my skating on the internet these days, but I do catch some of the rebroadcasts on US and watch lots of other sports on there.

I've gotten really into watching the Alpine Ski season on US the last couple of years. Now if only they'd get snow in Europe and stop having to cancel events... :(

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

US also does a great job with cycling and gymnastics! I have comcast and hope that it's going to continue.

4. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Another Comcast subscriber crossing fingers. Plus I'm dying for hi def, so if that happens it'd make me *very* happy. And I've been liking alpine skiing too.

5. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Hi-def, lo-def...I just want any def! :)

6. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I called Comcast last week and the rep told me that we would be losing US the first of the yr. However, she did say that Comcast was still in negotiations re: US. I'm in Southern NJ.

7. A.H.Black

Your information sounds accurate. I'm thinking that Comcast, at least, will contract to add Universal as a subscription channel in their line-up (as opposed to being offered as a sub-station by the local NBC affiliate). My worry is that this contract will happen in the spring sometime (with London in mind) and we will lose the most important part of the figure skating season.

8. Sandy

Sandy New Member

Does anyone have any new info on Verizon FIOS still to carry Universal Sports? It seems no one wants to leak any info to us FIOS customers for fear we will cancel FIOS.

9. LEO59

LEO59 New Member

I've been watching Sking today and Universal Sports has been running a message at the bottom of the screen saying if you have Verizon FIOS you may be losing it on Jan 1 2012..

So it looks like Verizon has not yet signed an agreement to carry it....Cox' Cablevision and Charter as well...

10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

We live in Phila., PA, and our service is from Comcast. So will we be losing
    US coverage as of mid January or not?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Arrgh! :wall: Come on, Verizon, don't blow this!

12. A.H.Black

I don't think we know yet. In checking the Universal site, it still says Comcast customers MAY lose Universal on January 1st. The only system that will have Universal for sure is still DirectTV.

I'm still hoping for some announcements before the end of the year. I'm sure Universal wants to make a big splash when the contracts are done. It's just a pain for those of us who would like better information.

13. AYS

Similar to what LEO59 has seen, last night while I was watching US, it was scrolling across the bottome that if we had Verizon FIOS or COX, we might be losing US.

I am Comcast (and in Phila western suburbs) and Comcast wasn't mentioned in the scroll.

14. Sandy

Sandy New Member

I am just now watching Uni Sports skiing .
    A scroll just came on saying :

If you subscribe to COX, starting 1/1/12 you may longer be able to watch Universal Sports.

Call 1-800-55-GET-US or go to IWANTUNIVERSAALSPORTS.COM for more info.

The scrolls I saw yesterday said Comcast or Verizon FIOS. So, maybe, We who have Verizon FIOS will be lucky.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  15. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

You won't lose it if you have Comcast.

16. A.H.Black

I'm glad you are sure. I'm not.

There has been no official announcement from Universal or Comcast. Something that someone has been told on the phone is not enough for me.

17. Frau Muller

Good grief, why are you always the frickin' Voice of Doom on this subject??? Get a grip. Some of us with COMCAST have been assured by that company that we won't be losing UnivSports on our paid digital-cable packages.

18. AYS

I strongly suspect that DirectTV - as the first provider to come to a contractual agreement on this - has as part of their agreement with US that no other providers can make a confirmatory announcement until after Jan 1. After all, this has been one big cooperative ad campaign to draw in DirectTV subscribers while also reminding folks what they get on US. US actually announced this as their "I want Universal Sports" ad marketing campaign back in the summer.
    http://sportsvideo.org/main/blog/20...ts-launches-i-want-universal-sports-campaign/

They were already in "advanced talks" back in the summer and have made *no* confirmatory announcements about other providers in all this time. IMO, no matter what contracts have been agreed, we will not know officially until after Jan 1.

19. Keep US

Keep US New Member

Actually, there is no distribution deal with Comcast to date. Therefore, on 1/1/12, you will lose Universal Sports Network if you subscribe to Comcast. Not sure why they are telling you otherwise. Please call them and continue to demand the Universal Sports is added to the channel lineup.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  20. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

How do you know this when Comcast is saying something different?

21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

22. Sandy

Sandy New Member

FYI

I just spoke with a person from FIOS TV after being transferred several times.
    He said that he has no record that Universal Sports channel is going off. His record shows no cancellation as of this date

23. AYS

Keep US is part of the dual US/DirectTV marketing team whose goal has been to keep this issue going for the consumers as long as possible (that is, until Jan 1); and so, won't actually be providing any real updated information on this.

24. Sandy

Sandy New Member

Why can we not get any direct information on this issue? We just receive bits and pieces. It has already beem announced that Verizon will carry a new MSG HD channel. All the TV providers out there such as Comcast, Verizon FIOS, etc must know at this time whether or not they will carry Universal Sports after December 31, 2011. None of these providers are being fair to their subscribers who pay for their services. It is our decision which provider we want to use.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  25. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Because he works for Universal Sports and knows what the contracts are. The customer service rep at Comcast only knows what's in their knowledge base of things they are allowed to tell customers.

26. Sandy

Sandy New Member

MacMadame I agree 100% what you are saying beause the same is true for Verizon FIOS. I spoke with someone yesterday and they gave me info that they had available to them.

Are you able to find out anything about Verizon FIOS?

The Universal Sports programming, shows Off Air as of 12:00 AM,
    Dec 31,2011 - no program information scheduled at this time due to station downtime. It goes up til 2AM Fri, Jan 6, 2012.

27. Frau Muller

Absolutely, AYS. "Keep US" and a couple of others posting around here, keeping the 'fear fires' burning.

28. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

Because everyone has to play by the FCC rules.

29. A.H.Black

I appreciate having someone who works for Universal Sports check in occasionally with pertinent information. I hope Keep US will continue to post with more updates.

I finally reached someone at my local NBC affiliate who had some answers. They will start broadcasting a health network on January 1st on the channel that has had Universal Sports. So, unless there is an announcement from Universal Sports (and any other provider other than DirectTV) sometime in the next week, I will not have access to Universal Sports come January 1st.

30. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I just checked on tvguide.com and it looks like no Universal Sports for me either after Dec. 31st. Grrrrrr.