Universal Sports going off free tv..

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by LEO59, Sep 12, 2011.

1. advgirl

advgirl New Member

delete

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  2. advgirl

advgirl New Member

Thank you very much for all the info. I have made several requests from At&t to add it during the past year and I did just make another request. I hope US is able to sign contracts with more providers including At&t in the near future.

I wish NBC would wait to move all events to US until more providers agree to carry the channel. Do you know if there will be an option to view the channel online? I'd be willing to pay a monthly fee just to be able to watch it. The thought of missing events (come January) is very disheartening. :(

Thanks again.

3. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I tried to submit the online form on multiple browsers and it keeps saying there is an error. :rolleyes:

4. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I did the form and left feedback with my carrier, Comcast. This seems very much like a marketing tool, to help US hike up the prices of advertisement spots. Something doesn't feel right but, hey, if my Comcast keeps US, I'll be a happy camper.

5. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I found it temperamental. I had to change my View to 100% from 125% and click on my carrier more than once to get it to register.

Finally it accepted the form.

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Same here, Doris.

7. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Ditto. Otherwise we will become a bi-cable household.

8. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

My Comcast system put up a notice today that effective Dec 20, the current US Channel 187 would be changing it's format to an all music station. I called Comcast programming rep for our area and was told that the Fresno area Comcast Franchise is in talks with Universal Sports people about getting an agreement to carry USTV on the Fresno Hub. So it looks like it is going to disappear from my Comcast system effective Dec. 20.

I did the form thing, called numerous times and was even told that USTV would not be lost or removed. LIES! Looks like for the forseeable future I will have to rely on UniversalSports.com for the figure skating and gymnastics that it provides.

Another unhappy Comcast customer!

9. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

^^^^^^ I am so bummed. I have called, written, screamed. I have even called Direct TV........I have a TV at my office.....and Direct TV told me they don't have Universal Sports in any of their packages.

10. Frau Muller

I'll save my screams for January 1, 2012...if Comcast of Washington, DC, dares not include US in their package. Fee-fie-fow-fumm...

11. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Yes they do. I have it. It's in one of the sports package.

12. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I suspect this is going to get rather ugly in a few weeks. How many casual viewers have no idea how they are getting Universal and will have no clue that it's going to disappear.

I am hoping our Universal employee will check in and give us a progress report.

I have called my local NBC affiliate several times and cannot find a single person who has any idea what is going on - whether they will have it - not have it. No one knows anything about Universal Sports.

13. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I called Comcast and the guy told me that he didn't think they would REALLY drop US. I also emailed. He did tell me to go to Comcastvoices.com and give feedback there. I also told them that I was considering dropping cable altogether if US was taken away.

14. Lavergne100

Lavergne100 New Member

I have comcast in the chicago suburbs and get universal sports. They recently changed from channel 251 to channel 342. No announcement. Nothing. I just thought they removed it! I hate not being notified about stuff like this!

I can see it on my tv that has the converter box (and gets tons of channels) as well as the other tv that has no box. The one with no box is where I tape shows so I really hope I'll:

1) Still be getting Univ Sports
    2) Be able to view it on both tvs

Does anyone know about this?

15. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Yep. Channel 625. It's part of a $12.95 per month sports package. Once skating season is over, we'll probably drop it for a while.

16. rfisher

I considered that, but they'll probably carry Olympic coverage this summer and I'd have to pick it back up. And I like the skiing.

17. Frau Muller

I called my local (Wash, DC) Comcast office yesterday & they told me "not to worry - you'll be getting Universal Sports." So it sounds as if my area is clear.

18. Orable

Orable New Member

I don't have cable at all - I get it by the regular analog channels. I'll have to email to see whether I'll still get US in the new year, but I suspect not :wuzrobbed

19. rfisher

You most likely will not. My understanding is it will only be offered through cable providers and at the moment, DirectTV is the only provider. They are negotiating with other providers.

The advantage for those of us who have the DirectTV package (it's part of a larger sports package costing $15/month) is it is supposed to be upgraded to Hidef. Right now, the image is really poor. Since I bought an Internet capable TV, I just watch IN on the TV as the quality is superior to Universal Sports.

20. Octoberopals

Octoberopals New Member

We have the whole enchilada package from Comcast [Houston, TX]; however, one NEVER sees which channel US is on......it's 319 here. Apparently it's a big secret; why? Who knows? We pay out the wazoo for the whole enchilada package, with no prospect of dropping any of the channels......my husband is a football, basketball, baseball freak. All those sports come with the whole enchilada package. I did fill out the form for Comcast to continue to have US.

I always tape everything on US anyway, so if anyone is interested in VHS [I'm in the process of transferring to DVDs], PM me & we can probably work something out.

21. A.H.Black

I note that Universal has stopped posting their online TV schedule. I thought ti was just because they were behind on things but then I went to the Figure Skating page. There is still a Video schedule, but there is no longer a link for TV viewing - or a schedule. At least I can't find one.

22. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

23. toepick

toepick Member

I'm also in DC and have Comcast. You've not gotten any notices that it's being dropped yet, have you?

Hope not.

24. DORISPULASKI

There have been announcements on NBC during the Sunday broadcast of the ladies of a new "NBC Sports Channel". The ad was with gymnasts, who have been on US. I wonder whether this is going to replace or augment Universal Sports, or whether both are just going to coexist?

25. skatesindreams

The "VERSUS" Channel is becoming the NBC Sports Channel.
    If you already have that channel in your array, you may not have to do anything.
    I'm also hoping that it will cover skating...fingers crossed.

26. A.H.Black

I have a vague memory of someone mentioning an additional NBC sports channel - maybe it was earlier in this thread.

Found it -

It's from an article LynnW posted about earlier http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/158377/

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  27. skatesindreams

I mentioned it in the "Commentary" thread.
    BTW, I believe it was first announced during the broadcast of "RISE", on Versus.

28. LEO59

LEO59 New Member

I think you can keep Hope..Universal Sports has been running a wordcraw at the bottom of the screen giving names of cable providers who may be droping the channel on Jan 1 2012 and Comcast WAS one of them (((BUT))) has since has been taking off the craw..

Cablevision,Cox,Charter, and Fios are still there however..

29. DORISPULASKI

Yes, I noticed that, and have great hopes that Universal will still exist on Comcast, and that I will still be able to get it.

30. Frau Muller

As I mentioned a few posts above, I was told by the marketing manager of the DC office of COMCAST "You'll should have nothing to worry" about on this. In other words, it looks like it stays in DC, as a cable option (not free, off-the-air).

re. VERSUS/NBCSports Channel - Someone above said they hope that this channel will cover skating. They will - HOCKEY! :lol: