Universal Sports going off free tv..

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by LEO59, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Oh, so do I now have to switch from Comcast to DirectTV, in order to get UnivSports? But, wait... wasn't UnivSports purchased by Comcast a few months ago? Sorry, this isn't making sense.

2. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I know. But they've been running ads on US tv that if you don't want to lose Universal Sports, call the number. And on the website there's a button to click, which I did again. :confused:

3. LynnW

LynnW Politiking for Purple

No, from my understanding, Directv does not have exclusive rights to US. The way I understand it is that Comcast owns US and is going to be charging for the transmission after 1/12. Before this, it was a free channel to the cable companies so it cost nothing for them to broadcast. I used to have RCN and they included it in the basic package along with local channels.

However, other cable companies are now threatening to drop US because they will now be charged to broadcast it. US is trying to gather support for the other cable companies to continue broadcasting it.
    I think it is just a coincidence that Directv is now beginning to broadcast US. Their decision to broadcast it has no corrlation to others dropping it or threatening to drop it. That is my understanding anyway.

Edited to add link: http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/158377/

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  4. avivadawn

avivadawn New Member

I guess that it's "Goodbye US" because I watch it over the air and cannot afford cable or internet at home.

It was nice while it lasted.....one of the only ways that I could see some of the sports that I love.

5. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

DISH TV has never carried Universal Sports. I haven't seen anything yet that explains what will happen with Comcast and other cable providers.

Many people think that Universal Sports is part of the Comcast package - IT ISN'T. Those who get Universal Sports on Comcast get it because their local NBC affiliate chooses to broadcast Universal Sports on one of their optional digital channels on Comcast. Here's the way it works (I think)

Your local network affiliates are given a group of channels to use on Comcast as part of their contract with Comcast. They have their main channel (2, 4, 5 , 7 etc.) plus one or two or three other channels to use at their discretion. My NBC affiliate has chosen to use those channels to broadcast weather, news, and Universal Sports. Those channels then become part of the Comcast package. Whether the network affiliates will lose the ability to broadcast that channel in January has not been made clear.

I suppose it's possible that Comcast will be pulling Universal Sports as an option for the local affiliates and then making it a "real" cable/satellite channel. That way Comcast, DISH and any other providers will have to have direct contracts with Universal Sports, rather than having it available through the local affiliates. Right now the only cable/satellite provider that has a specific contract with Universal Sports is DirectTV (that I know of).

I have a couple of calls in to my local affiliate to see if I can get some specific information. When I hear back, I will post. It's sort of tough to find the right person to ask. No one seems to know anything about it yet.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  6. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

That's a very clear explanation AH.

I don't get US on AT&T uVerse and I think I am unlikely to after this change. But at least now it's possible. Before it was up to the NBC affiliate according to your explanation and now it will be up to AT&T uVerse corporate. I think it might be easier to get AT&T corporate to add the channel than to get a bunch of local NBC affiliates to do so.

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

So I have to rely on Cablevision to contract with US and pay them. Ugh. Cablevision sucks (they actually took Game Show Network out of the regular cable package and added it to a premium sports package, forcing all the senior citizens who loved that channel to pay extra or lose the channel). I like US, but I'm not going to pay extra for it with a package of other channels I'll never watch.

8. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:eek: You have Time Warner and you get the US channel? I have Time Warner too and I don't get it and have been hounding them with requests when are we gonna get it and the answer ranges from "what channel?" to "never". :mad: What state are you in? Maybe I'll move there!

9. Frau Muller

10. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

No, Comcast does not currently have a distribution deal with Universal Sports. If you get Universal Sports on Comcast, it's because your local NBC station carries it over-the-air. You will lose Universal Sports on January 1st.

NBC Universal/Comcast has only a minority ownership in Universal Sports. They are currently working on a distribution deal with Comcast, but it may or may not happen by January 1st.

11. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I'm in California. We get it with Time Warner.

12. Frau Muller

Yeah and in the meantime DirectTV is pulling out all stops to scare people into switching to their service. Come January 1, we'll see that US remains on the Comcast line-up of channels. If it doesn't, it's not as if it will take so long to switch carriers. I'm very happy with my Comcast Xfinity bundled package and will sit and wait. It's not as if I will miss a critical skating event on January 2, LOL!

13. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I am in NYC and I have it with Time Warner, at least for the moment. I think it has more to do with the level of service you pick more than anything. Some Time Warner levels have it and some don't.

14. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

After doing some research, I think the UniSports poll is to give them statistics for negotiating with the other providers. This way, they can say "# of your subscribers want this, so you should buy our programming." They probably have to negotiate contracts and such.

DirecTV gave me a three-month free "Anniversary gift" of their sports package and our NBC affiliate is still broadcasting UniSports, so I was able to see a lot of skating this weekend. I think the honeymoon ends in December and I'm okay with losing the channel from both services. There are other options and I'm not that much of a skating fan that I have to watch every event and skater.

15. A.H.Black

ONE MORE TIME

For those of you who think you get Universal Sports as part of your basic cable package - Please read the following carefully!!!!!!!!!

Please don't assume you will still have Universal Sports after January. You probably won't.

16. Frau Muller

We hear you!!! Comcast could very well strike a deal with US in the next 9 weeks. If not, it's 'no biggie' to switch.

17. A.H.Black

I hadn't heard any news about Comcast. What did I miss?

18. emason

emason Well-Known Member

For you perhaps, but not for everyone. I live in a co-op and cannot chose my cable provider. I must go with whatever company the board of directors gives the contract to, even if another cable franchiser appeals to me more.

19. Frau Muller

That's stinks but I was in a similar situation yrs ago! There must be a crook on the Board. I used to live in a condo in DC where it was discovered that the Board's president got pay-offs from a rinki-dink local provider (Washington ***** Co.) to keep it the only option for the 200-unit condo. I now live 2 blocks away in a co-op & we have 5 options!

20. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't think there is a crook on the board. Because of the size of the complex (7 buildings) the board was able to negotiate a reduced rate with Time Warner. I pay less for my service than a friend across the street in a different co-op and I have a higher level tier of service than she does. In addition, the board will never approve anything that detracts from the appearance of the property, so no dishes anywhere and it's also illegal to have anything at all on the fire escapes. Perhaps when Verizon FIOS gets up and running in this neighborhood and the Time Warner contract is up, the board will investigate other options.

I happen to be one of the few people around who actually likes TW; I am particularly addicted to NY1 news which is available exclusively with TW. I will miss Universal Sports if TW doesn't strike a deal, but life will continue.

21. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Sheesh...up until recently I got US through Comcast. I did not know that it had been dropped until I tried to watch Skate America this past weekend. According to their website, Comcast no longer carries US in my area. It really stinks.

22. Keep US

Keep US New Member

This can all be very confusing. I work for Universal Sports Network and thought it would be helpful if I tried to give you some answers. We want to make sure that everyone knows what is happening at the end of the year. As noted, there are changes on the horizon for the network. In the past, we’ve been an over-the-air multicast network. However, we are transitioning over to a cable, satellite and IPTV service, similar to other sports and entertainment networks. That change goes into effect at midnight on December 31, 2011.

Right now, DirecTV is the only service who will (and currently does) offer Universal Sports beginning in 2012. We are working diligently with other distributors and hope to have additional deals signed before the deadline.

You can help. You WILL make a difference. Please call 1-800-55-GET-US and follow the prompts to tell your TV provider you want Universal Sports on your channel lineup. The more people call, the better our chances are of making sure your viewing experience of Universal Sports is uninterrupted.

Here is a link to a complete FAQ that should answer more questions: http://www.universalsports.com/frequently-asked-questions.html

You can also follow this link to fill out an online form:http://www.universalsports.com/iwantuniversalsports/iwantuniversalsports_datacollection.html . Please pass the phone number and link along to your family and friends – every call and online submission help!

If you have additional questions that are not addressed in the FAQ, please email us at keepus@universalsports.com

Thank you for your time.

23. A.H.Black

Hallelujah. Thanks for some real information Keep US.

One of the best things about Universal Sports has always been that you occasionally check in personally with those of us who really do watch. I was hoping we would hear from Universal Sports and you haven't disappointed us.

- Can you give us any updates on negotiations with any of the carriers?

- Is it just Universal Sports that is being offered to the carriers or is Universal Sports part of a package?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Keep US, is there anything those of us who have BrightHouse Network can do to get US?
    We've never had it; and I've been begging for years!
    I'm in central Florida.

25. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Thanks, Keep US.

Will you guys be announcing other carriers as they pick you up or will be able to look on your website during December so we'll know if we're getting US come January 1?

26. A.H.Black

As Keep US suggested, I checked out the FAQ page for more information. Here are the pertinent parts.

27. Keep US

Keep US New Member

Thanks for your feedback everyone. The answers to your questions are:
    1) We can't comment on any current negotiations, but we will announce when any new deal has been completed.
    2) If your current provider does not carry Universal Sports, call 1-800-55-GET-US. If your current provider carries Universal Sports, call 1-800-55-
    GET-US. Either way, your voice counts. Get as many people you know to call, too. The more demand we demonstrate the better.

Thanks for your support!

28. nicecardshark

nicecardshark New Member

Has anyone else attempted to fill out the information requested utilizing the link provided?

http://www.universalsports.com/iwantuniversalsports.html

I tried about 10 days ago and again just now, and each time it hasn't gone through. I've tried on multiple browsers too.

It seems like US has disabled the link's functionality, although they haven't indicated such. Odd.

29. A.H.Black

I tried the original link several days ago just fine. No problems. The link in your post seems a bit different than the original one.

30. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I didn't have any troubles filling it out either.