Universal Sports going off free tv..

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by LEO59, Sep 12, 2011.

1. LEO59

LEO59 New Member

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Maybe more people will have a chance to actually get Universal Sports now.

I'm sorry you won't be able to watch it, LEO59.

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I didn't even know they did broadcast on local stations! Sorry you're losing them.

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Over the air is how i got to see so many of the grand prix events live in 2009- if not for over tha air I would have basically seen only the edited nbc weekend broadcasts.

5. love skating

love skating Clueless American

Noooo! I get it over the air and love it. And I have DISH not Direct. So sad. :(:(

6. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I am very confused. I thought they broadcast only on ComCast before. Did they just trade one cable co for another? will they still broadcast on the internet?

7. LEO59

LEO59 New Member

YES!!!

Universal Sports started out as a over the air sub-channel broadcast service for NBC and non-NBC tv stations..FCC must carry rules forced cable to add Universal Sports from local tv station to their line up..

Comcast Now owns NBC and Universal Studios and feels that it belongs only on cable and the internet where it can collect a fee ($$$)..

8. AxelAnnie

But i read that it was going to Direct TV. His that different than having it on ComCast?

9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

This SUCKS. I watch Universal Sports all the time - not just for skating :(

10. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

I hope it is included in my DirecTv package!

11. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

You have to pay extra. You'll need to go the DirecTv site and add it. It's about $12/month, but the package isn't just US. There are several other channels included.

12. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Toes. You gotta keep 'em separated.

Me too. I have always watched it over the air. :(

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. genevieve

%$#@& that Comcast/NBC merger :mad:

14. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Many people who do not have cable or satellite services have been able to watch Universal on their over-the-air digital TV's for the last several years. If NBC was on 5.0, for example, Universal was often on 5.3. It sounds like that over-the-air option will no longer be available and you will need to have Comcast or DirectTV in order to watch Universal. I still haven't seen anything about DISH carrying Universal Sports at all.

Hope that helps.

I don't think I was aware that VS was also owned by NBC and will become NBC Sports in January. I think this change will affect figure skating and gymnastics viewers more than Olympics viewers. Universal Olympics coverage has mostly been high-light shows and commentary and I haven't seen any programming notes that will change that for London.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  15. AxelAnnie

^^ Oh, thanks.

16. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Actually less people will be able to get it. Right now, if your NBC affiliate broadcasts it, you can get it no matter what your cable company does. My cable company doesn't offer it but I can get it over the air anyway. Now I won't be able to.

I assume they did this so they could make more money. They can charge the cable companies for carrying them. They couldn't charge anyone who was getting it over the air.

17. Capella

Capella Guest

I get Universal Sports via FiOS. I hope this won't change. :(

18. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I'm dimwitted and do not understand. I only have US because I have cable, it isnt part of a free package.

19. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Some viewers have been able to receive Universal Sports via over-the-air antennae.
    That will end shortly and the channel will only be available through cable/satellite providers.

As for me, I've haven't been able to persuade Bright House Networks to carry the channel; so, I've never had access to it.

20. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

Oh, well. I guess I'd better make sure I catch some of the GP events cause after Jan no more Universal. I guess if you can't help fill some already wealthy execs wallet you don't get many of the channels. Some folks don't have the $$$ to keep having to pay every time someone wants extra cash.

:( :rolleyes:

21. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I never got it over the air, but am sad for all the people losing it now.

We can't even get NBC over the air. We used to be able to, but after the digital transition, they changed the signal strength and we lost it (the station is not close to us, we couldn't get their analog signal, but got their old digital one. When they dropped the analog signal, they moved the digital to that channel, and so it is too low now).

We've had cable for the past 2 years, but are about to drop it again. I will miss figure skating, and the Olympics in general.

22. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I don't "get" this at all. Why would Universal Sports (US) use Facebook to ask people to tell US that they don't want to be "dropped," meaning they want to watch US on a platform other than DirecTV? I guess the left hand within US doesn't know what the right hand is doing. *shrugs*

In any case, the post is here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/UniversalSports

You can call the number or, better yet, go to http://www.universalsports.com/iwantuniversalsports/iwantuniversalsports_datacollection.html to complete the online form.

It would be really sleazy of US if this is a way of building a database of names to solicit subscribers for DirecTV.

23. Octoberopals

Octoberopals New Member

Is there an ice-skating schedule out for Universal Sports/NBC Sports on the ComCast cable network? I've looked & looked & can't find anything.

24. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Toes. You gotta keep 'em separated.

25. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

The Universal Sports website also has a button to click to fill out a form requesting that Universal Sports not be dropped. Just to be safe I'd suggest that people do that. It sounds like they're rearranging their coverage and some cable companies may drop it???? or something....

26. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I never knew there were people who were able to watch it on free TV either. I have Universal Sports because it is part of my Time Warner basic cable package. I hope I will still have it come January 1st! :drama:

27. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

In the days before cable and satellite bills, people watched TV via broadcasts "over the air" from television stations in their area, for free. When DTV was introduced a few years ago, anyone who wanted to continue to receive those broadcasts had to get a converter box if they had older TVs that weren't DTV-ready.

Part of the DTV conversion was to add channels "between" the existing channels. The larger stations filled those extra channels with other programming, including UniSports. I know I've posted about the access since well before Vancouver, but it's gone now.

Example: NBC in New York was channel 4.1, NBC Mobile was 4.2, and Universal Sports was channel 4.4.

With the DirecTV implementation, Universal Sports is supposed to be removed from over-the-air broadcasts as well as cable providers and Dish network.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  28. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Well, it's a shame . . . there goes their audience. It's really sad that any hope of gaining public interest in figure skating and gymnastics has to die due to corporate greed. :(

29. genevieve

I saw my first US ad for the changeover this weekend. I'm so very bummed.

30. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

So, I'm confused. Does this mean that Universal Sports will only be on Direct TV? So, if I currently get it on Comcast, will it go away?