UniSports announces GP Series Coverage

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by TanithandBenFan, Sep 21, 2010.

1. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I got a couple of emails from them the past few weeks alerting me they would do an automatic renewal. Did you receive any correspondence from them?

2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Yes, they said in the email that it would be automatically renewed unless you contacted them to discontinue membership.

3. Lutzcy

Lutzcy Active Member

Last night, I wanted to set my DVR for Universal Sports coverage on 10/22. The grid only showed "To be announced". Guess I'll try later, closer to time. Keep your fingers crossed that the coverage really happens! :)

4. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

^ Don't worry. The Universal Sports TV coverage often does not appear on online or DVR guides until a week or less before the airdate.

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

They ask if you want auto-billing when you sign up.

6. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

A full screen button has been added to Icenetwork's video capabilities. :)

7. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Yay! I was starting to get really annoyed. It seemed like a giant step backward. I was getting ready to send them a snarky email. I'm glad I don't have to do that. :)

8. HisWeirness

Yay :cheer:

I should write them a thank you. :)

9. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

To bad that they changed their screen ratio size from 4:3 to 16:9. This shows up in both my browsers (IE and Foxfire) with a vertically stretched picture in full screen mode.

Anyone else noticing this problem? I tried to change my display settings to correct... but none worked.

10. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

When I signed up, there was a box that said "Yes, please automatically renew my subscription" that was checked. You have to remember to uncheck it if you don't want them to automatically bill you for it again next year.

I wish they wouldn't do that since it's really easy to miss.

11. HisWeirness

I watched regionals videos last night and the full screen option in the flash player stayed at 16:9 (I have a 16:9 computer monitor). I've had no problem with image distortion.

12. AJ Skatefan

I had that problem too. Maybe I can change my system preferences to fix that though.

13. HisWeirness

Looking around online it looks like icenetwork.com may have to specify in their flash player code setup (on their side, not ours ;)) that when the full screen feature is used they need to specify that the flash player "fit" or does the "orig"inal aspect ratio, not to change the "scale" of the video (default setting) when it goes fullscreen. That's why I had no stretching with a 16:9 monitor, but you had stretching (scaling) with the 4:3.

You should send a complaint to icenetwork.com telling them they need to look at the code they used in their flash player to enable fullscreen and to make sure that the scaling parameter is set to fit or original scaling.

Since they just added the fullscreen functionality, they probably didn't realize that they needed to customize the player and replace some of the default values.

I'd like to see them add "pop out" functionality as well. I like to be able to resize the video to the size I prefer using a window.

14. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Looks fine on my 17" laptop. Sorry that's not much help!

15. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Is there anyway to use 400K or 800K feed? The new regionals videos are coming in at 1000K and with my lousy DSL connection is a bit choppy.

16. HisWeirness

Doesn't look like it. :( 1000k is the only option I see.
    Looks like the 400 and 800k feed options are grey-ed out.

The regionals coverage is in a flash video player (flash-based video, like youtube) instead of the windows media player that icenetwork has been using the past few seasons.

17. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

How can IN charge as much as they do and not have their technology under control? They've lost functionality. Does anyone over there actually test the software service they're selling? They should be reading the riot act to whoever is their vendor. :rolleyes:

18. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Bizarrely, Verizon Fios has begun stripping us of some of our channels. I'll be flipping through and suddenly see a "You're not subscribed to this channel; call this number to subscribe" message from some cable channel that we always got with no problem before.

I don't dare look at Universal Sports. I'm dreading that they took it too. If they did, you'll hear me screeching like a banshee.

19. AJ Skatefan

I just sent an email complaining about the stretching thingy. It would help if other people would complain too.

20. Visaliakid

I forwarded the info in 'HisWeirness" post to my contact @ IN who said they would pass it on to the techs.

I encourage everyone who is having this stretching problem to please send an email to icenetwork.com. The more they receive, the more serious they will be in working to resolve the issue.

21. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I watched a few Regionals vids on my laptop and my 42" widescreen TV and didn't have any issues with image distortion when I used the full-screen option. It fits both screens perfectly - I was happy not to see the black bars!

22. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

I just subscribed, paid and then found IN service is *BLACKOUTed* here in Korea. :eek: Did IN block the service ever before?

Is there only way for me to cancel the charge? For the moment, I'm just waiting any positive reaction from IN. :wuzrobbed

23. HisWeirness

IN has always blacked out their coverage of ISU competitions for other countries. I think you can watch US National competitions but that is it.

See here: http://web.icenetwork.com/help/blackout.jsp

I'd try to call and get the charge cancelled if you can.

Russian WebTV is a non-geoblocked source of live FS coverage.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  24. RD

RD Well-Known Member

IN has always been a US-only service, I believe. I wish they made that clear on their website.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  25. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Thank you, HisWeirness, RD.

Very sorry for missing the GP Series and final but I'm OK. I wanna enjoy other services. I have to notice the blackout before purchasing. Thank you again!

26. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

If any of you have the problem with the IN screen being blank but the music is audible in full screen, however the video can be seen in small screen mode:

Uncheck "Enable hardware acceleration" option in the Adobe Flash Player Display settings.

You can get to these settings by right clicking on the small display while a video is playing. Select "Settings" from the little menu that comes up.

A recent update of the player changed the default for this setting to On. Unfortunately, this setting is incompatible with older video cards.

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  27. HisWeirness

Great tip, I've heard about hardware acceleration causing issues sometimes.

Thanks Doris!

28. Visaliakid

I just checked the full screen mode for the IceNetwork Player in both IE and FireFox browsers tonight and the vertical stretching problem seems to be fixed. The presentation is identical to the small screen. Thankyou IceNetwork techs. :D

29. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Great!

A person over at GS was apparently taken on a ride into Firefox to solve a problem that a 'tech' at IN blamed on a recent Microsoft update. The person claimed this problem is systemic and unsolved at IN. OTOH, I'm not having a problem (once I solved the hardware acceleration issue). I'm on XP.

Is anyone with Windows 7 or Vista having a problem seeing vids at all?

30. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I'm glad they were able to accommodate you so quickly. In the past, you're complaint may have gone on the backburner, or perhaps, completely unnoticed. I'm glad the IN "techs" are stepping it up.