UniSports announces GP Series Coverage

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by TanithandBenFan, Sep 21, 2010.

1. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Do you think Universal Sports.com will have commentators like they did last year for Worlds, with segments afterwards where they talk about the results? If they have backstage vids with skaters and stuff, I might change to them. I just wish it were for the entire season. Decisions, decisions...

2. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I'm sticking with IN even with the price increase. It's good coverage, especially when I can't get Universal Sports. I already miss the excitement of last season when we had the Olympics to look forward to. Still, I'm glad it's almost October!

3. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Universal Sports TV has announced a preliminary schedule for NHK Trophy and Skate Canada.

All times Eastern.

NHK Trophy (all coverage is same day)
    Friday, Oct. 22
    6:00pm - 8:00pm: Men SP and Pairs SP
    10:00pm - midnight: Ladies SP and Short Dance

Saturday, Oct. 23
    4:00pm - 5:00pm: Pairs FS
    6:00pm - 7:00pm: Free Dance
    7:00pm - 8:00pm: Men FS
    10:00pm - midnight: Ladies FS

Skate Canada (all coverage is same day)
    Friday, Oct. 29
    5:00pm - 7:00pm: Men SP and Pairs SP
    5:00pm - 7:00pm**: Ladies SP and Short Dance (**the time given in the schedule has to be incorrect for this ;))

Saturday, Oct. 30
    5:00pm - 6:00pm: Ladies FS
    6:00pm - 7:00pm: Men FS
    8:00pm - 9:00pm: Free Dance
    9:00pm - 10:00pm: Pairs FS

Looks like 9 hours of coverage for NHK and 8 hours for Skate Canada.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  4. Dee2e

Dee2e Well-Known Member

It's a one-third increase but if you're new, you get a discount. Go figure!

So much for loyalty.

5. ross_hy

ross_hy Active Member

Has Universal Sports announced any streaming for US Nationals or Worlds on their website? I really wish NBC Universal would use their power to get the channel into more markets/cable systems.

6. HisWeirness

IceNetwork will have online streaming of US Nationals, since they have the exclusive online rights for that event. Universal Sports TV and NBC will have TV coverage of US Nats. I am pretty sure that icenetwork.com will be the only site live streaming US Nationals in the USA.

Universal Sports/NBC have the online and broadcast rights to Worlds. I'm anticipating some same day Worlds broadcasts from Universal Sports TV and perhaps a few hours on NBC. Based on how universalsports.com is now charging :bribe: for most of their live event streams, any live event stream of 2011 Worlds will probably have a subscription cost associated with it. For example, they are charging a subscription fee to watch the 2010 Gymnastics Worlds next month.

7. love skating

love skating Clueless American

I saw the tail end of a commercial yesterday on Universal Sports with clips of Mirai from last year and saying their Grand Prix coverage starts on October 22. It got me all excited for the new season!

8. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Thanks so much, HisW! This is fantastic. A huge improvement from last year: We won't have to wait until the NBC 'mini-telecasts' on Sundays to see the Ladies LPs...and we get to see some of ALL four disciplines' SPs and LPs this time around, since NBC usually repeated the men's LPs (what was already shown on UniSports) and chacked the finals of either Pairs or, usually, Dance.

Wooohooo! Can't wait!!! Cozy sofa is ready, wine is being chilled, a stack of blank DVDs disks and plastic slipcases at the ready. I will most likely have to buy a new DVD 'bookshelves' piece of furniture this season...and this is just for the eligible shows, as I don't watch or tape the Dissons.

9. HisWeirness

Update about icenetwork.com streaming coverage:

icenetwork.com seems to be updating their site at this moment for the 2010-11 season. They have not posted their "subscription" info page yet, but their event calendar has been updated for 2010-11 and shows what competitions they will be streaming.

Ex: Event Calendar for Jan. 2011

Based on the calendar, icenetwork is not streaming any figure skating ISU Championships (Euros, Worlds, Four Continents, Jr. Worlds, Worlds). This is not surprising because NBC/Universal Sports hold the TV and online rights to these competitions.

Competition events scheduled for 2010-11 season icenetwork.com video:

All regionals
    All 2010 ISU Grand Prix Series events, including the Grand Prix Final
    All sectionals
    2011 US. Jr. Nationals
    Grand Prix event exhibitions (shown in Dec and Jan)
    2011 US Nationals
    2011 Synchro sectionals
    2011 Adult sectionals
    2011 US. Synchro Nationals
    2011 US Adult Nationals

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  10. Frau Muller

Earlier (above), someone wrote that it is sad that UniSports doesn't have Euros and 4Cs on the schedule. Not to worry. They weren't on last season's schedule but each was announced a week or two before being shown. We got about 4 hrs of Euros and 2 hrs of 4Cs, which is fantastic compared to the previous seasons.

I would almost "bet the farm" that 2011 Euros and 4Cs will be aired on UniSports.

11. HisWeirness

On February 5-7, 2010, Universal Sports TV aired 4 hours of coverage from Euros and 3.5 hours from 4CCs. Euros took place Jan. 19-24 and 4CCs took place Jan 27-30. So, there was a 2 week delay for Euros and 1 week delay before 4CCs was shown on TV.

I think universalsports.com posted some archived footage of these comps as well, but well after they were completed.

There was no live or same-day/same weekend coverage of these events on either Universal Sports TV or online.

I hope that Universal Sports decides again to have TV coverage of these events and also arranges for some live online streaming as well. :)

12. Frau Muller

Right and thanks for the details. Honestly, I don't mind that UnivSports airs Euros and 4Cs a week or two later. The important thing is that it airs it and we in the US can get the main performances into our DVD collections without having to pay someone in Europe or Japan to make us copies, then wait for the overseas mail.

13. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Well, I’ve paid the $14.95 to Uni, so we’ll see what happens. I will say that Unisports.com had muucchh better picture quality than IN last year. I have a 24 inch monitor, so it looked like broadcast TV. Which is good since my cable doesn’t have Universal Sports TV, nor does my local NBC affiliate. :(

14. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

I just paid my US subscription for GP. I had IN for past few years and had some issues with quality and sound. I'll hope it's going to be better with US.

15. HisWeirness

Since we've been discussing both IceNetwork.com and Universal Sports.com 2010 GP streaming in this thread, I thought I'd post that icenetwork has now posted their subscription information on their website for the 2010-11 Season.

http://web.icenetwork.com/subscribe/ Cost $39.95. "Improved video quality with streaming rates up to 1Mbps." The email I got from them also said "enhanced video player and improved functionality."

Blackout restrictions are posted here: http://web.icenetwork.com/help/blackout.jsp The ISU events are blacked out.

I don't know if they had it last season, but now they have a long list of terms of service.

ETA: My viewing experience

I just tried watching some icenetwork Regionals footage (on demand) and the image quality looks good. It's playing a bit choppy on my computer (G4 Mac), but my computer is old and I have lots of other programs running right now. In Safari the right sidebar features (now playing, feature content, etc.) did not show up as the video was playing.

I then tried viewing with a newer computer (Intel Mac) and Firefox. The video had no jumps (nice and smooth) and Firefox displayed the right sidebar correctly. So, I'd suggest watching using Firefox instead of Safari, if that is your choice. ;)

It's filmed in HD format (widescreen, 16:9), not 4:3.
    Looks like they are using a Flash-based player instead of Windows Media.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  16. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I have Internet Explorer (it's a work computer so I can't install Firefox), and I see all the sidebar features and have great video quality, but how do I make the video full screen? I don't see a "full screen" button and double-clicking on the vid doesn't do anything. Don't see anything in the Flash Player settings either. Help!

17. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

The video quality is excellent! I just wish I could figure out how to make it full screen.

18. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

I sent a message to one of the senior IN producers earlier today about the apparent lack of functionality with the new player... i.e. no full screen capability, or a pop-out viewer that can be sized (smaller or larger). I got a reply that the people who were involved with the new player, are on the road this week and that they would get back to me as soon as they could be contacted to provide an answer.

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  19. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Yes, I wish I could watch it full screen. The video quality is much improved though. I hope you get an answer soon, Visaliakid.

20. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Yes, no kidding- just checked it out and FINALLY they went 16:9. It would be nice to blow it up but the quality wasn't really that great before anyway.

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

22. HisWeirness

If you just see a large black rectangle it is because you do not have the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight installed on your computer.

http://www.silverlight.net/

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'm installing it now.
    Why they couldn't make that clear, I don't know.

24. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

Thank you HisWeirness. Your online Schedule is awesome :cheer2:. I just need to change the time to Pacific and I am ready for the competition to start.

25. Octoberopals

Octoberopals Well-Known Member

Comcast [in Houston, TX] DOES NOT LIST Universal Sports anywhere in writing--their magazine of 'all' channel servicies. I "accidently" found it last year...Channel 319. It appears to be the same this year. We have the Full Package [all the football in the world for hubby] & maybe that's why we get it; I don't know. Last year the ice skating coverage was wonderful. For me it's a lot better watching on TV than on the computer.

If you have Comcast, just start scrolling through the grid until Universal Sports pops up; it may be on a different channel in your area, though.

26. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Yes, Universal is on Comcast in Houston; however in the Baltimore area they still don't offer it. Unless things have changed in the past month or so.

27. HisWeirness

Universal Sports TV has updated their schedule for NHK Trophy.

All season long, the following link should work to show the figure skating events that will be broadcast on Universal Sports TV (usually for a one to two week timeframe). First broadcasts as well as repeats (re-broadcasts) are included.

Universal Sports TV Figure Skating Schedule

The schedule also has the functionality to be able to change the time zone shown (i.e. Central, Mountain, Pacific).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  28. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

29. HisWeirness

30. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Whoa -- did anyone else get automatically billed a renewal of IN? I just saw it on my bank statement and hadn't made a decision on whether I was keeping them or not!