UniSports announces GP Series Coverage

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by TanithandBenFan, Sep 21, 2010.

1. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Universal Sports, NBC, and IN Coverage

Universal Sports, the TV channel, will broadcast more than 34 hours of coverage of the GP events. UniversalSports.com will charge $14.95 for coverage of the GP events. IceNetwork will also broadcast all the GP events live and on-demand as part of their annual subscription (price not listed yet). NBC is showing two hours every Sunday of the GP events like they did last year.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Link: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=45046&type=media

Relevant excerpt:

3. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto Active Member

So is Universal Sports online coverage same as Ice Network's online coverage?

4. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

I have to say that this is probably the best possible arrangement, given how the ISU rights have been assigned. I correctly thought that there would be the :bribe: subscription option from Universal Sports, but I thought that icenetwork would only have Skate America, not all of the events. :D

I'll probably renew my icenetwork subscription because my computer does not support the version of Silverlight needed to watch Universal Sports content.

My TV/Online schedule (linked to in my signature) includes the NBC schedule posted as part of the press release.

As I read the press release, Universal Sports will live-stream NHK, SC, COC, ROST, TEB and GP Final. (No Skate America streaming)
    Icenetwork will live-stream NHK, SC, COC, SA, ROST, TEB and GP Final.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
    Reuven and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Yukari Lepisto

Who is right?

from Ice Network press release
    from Univ. Sports press release

6. Yukari Lepisto

apparently there is no coverage of 4CC or Euro Championship for Americans. :(

7. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Actually, US.com won't be streaming CoC, but will be streaming SA. I wonder what the reason is? Perhaps an agreement with IN to not show one of the GP so that IN subscriptions won't plummet? Something about this makes me think that IN will soon be overtaken.

And along the lines of online access, I noticed that US.com is offering to show complete coverage of the world gymnastics championships online for $14.95. It made me wonder if they were thinking of doing the same for World's for figure skating... which would be awesome because complete World's coverage is harder to come by here in the US.

8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

US offered complete coverage last year and the year before for free.

9. Yukari Lepisto

That was either misinformation/typo from Ice Network press release.
    US.com will stream all GPs (except Skate America). And they will also stream GP finals.

10. HisWeirness

There was no live online coverage from universalsports.com (the ISU online rights-holder) for 2010 Euros or 4CCs either. Universal Sports TV showed a few hours of these two competitions several weeks after they had concluded.

I hope that universalsports.com decides to offer live streaming of Euros and 4CCs for a fee (or not ;)) this season, but I would not be surprised if they did not offer streaming.

NBC TV (and possibly Universal Sports TV) is not showing Cup of China. Icenetwork.com and universalsports.com are showing Cup of China.

USFSA (and in turn, icenetwork.com) own the exclusive online and TV rights to Skate America. Like last season, it appears that they have made a deal with NBC Sports/Universal Sports to show Skate America on television on the NBC and Universal Sports TV channels.
    icenetwork.com retains the sole rights to the online streaming for Skate America.

Starting this summer universalsports.com seemed to have changed their online sports streaming strategy. Now most higher-profile sports events/series require a paid subscription (usually between $9.95 and $19.95).

For clarity from the USFSA press release (with my interpretations noted):

NBC Television
    two hours each of the following events:
    NHK Trophy (shown 1 week after event)
    Skate Canada (shown 1 week after event)
    Skate America (probably live)
    Rostelecom Cup (same weekend)
    Trophee Eric Bompard (same weekend)
    Grand Prix Final (held in China) (same weekend)
    NO Cup of China

Universal Sports TV
    press release states that "five events" will be shown, plus re-broadcasts of all NBC TV coverage. Probably the same events as NBC.
    34+ hours (total) of the following events:
    NHK Trophy
    Skate Canada
    Skate America (probably live)
    Rostelecom Cup
    Trophee Eric Bompard
    Grand Prix Final (held in China)
    (I realize there are six events here, not sure if the "five events" is a typo or not. It makes sense that UniSports TV would show the same six events NBC has committed to broadcast)
    NO Cup of China?

Universalsports.com (online streaming, price $14.95)
    90+ hours of live streaming "every session of every event":
    NHK Trophy
    Skate Canada
    Cup of China
    Rostelecom Cup
    Trophee Eric Bompard
    NO Skate America

icenetwork.com (online streaming, price TBA)
    90+ hours of live streaming "every session of every event":
    NHK Trophy
    Skate Canada
    Cup of China
    Skate America
    Rostelecom Cup
    Trophee Eric Bompard
    All 7 Events Shown

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  11. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

*sigh*

Well, it was good while it lasted. ;)

So, both Ice Network and Universal Sports are live streaming the Grand Prix Series? I'm just going to use Ice Network. No use in me paying an extra $14.95, even if the coverage is a tiny bit better.

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

They did this with their cycling coverage too. They offered extensive coverage of the Giro and Vuelta on tv, but also had online, on demand coverage that you could watch whenever you wanted and that was also commercial free.

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It looks as though I'll be renewing my Ice Network subscription.
    I'll be keeping Universal's online coverage, "under advisement".

Despite much lobbying, I can't get Universal Sports in my area.

14. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Ok, I think I get it now.

NBC will be showing NHK and SC on a 1-week tape-delay. SC will be shown the weekend that COC is going on. Then SA will be shown live, and the events after that (COR, TEB, GPF) get tape-delayed, but same-weekend coverage.

15. Alexei'sgirl

Alexei'sgirl Member

What's the reason for the chacking of Cup of China? That's actually one I really want to see. Good thing I'll be keeping my icenetwork.com subscription I guess.

16. HisWeirness

I don't know. All I know is that last year NBC also did not show Cup of China, but Universal Sports TV did broadcast 8 hours of coverage, compared to the 6-7 hours USTV televised of the other GP events (so, instead of 8 hours of coverage split between USTV and NBC, USTV showed all 8 hours).

RD, thanks for mentioning NBC's broadcast delay for NHK and SC. I've noted this in my previous post.

17. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I have had mixed results with IceNetwork. Sometimes the streaming is good, sometimes I get a black screen.

18. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Just got an e-mail about Ice Network renewal. They conveniently wait until the end of the e-mail to tell you the (new) price - "only" $39.95. That would be a $10 increase over last year. :mad:

Looks like same coverage as last year - Nats, GP series, JN, Synchro Nats, Adult Nats. Also Regionals and Sectionals, and "feature skating programs" - presumably that means backstage bits from the Disson shows.

They also tout "improved video quality" - say streaming rates "up to" 1 Mbps will be offered.

19. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

*Sigh* that the cost went up, but I will certainly be returning.

For the amount of coverage, though, I don't think that price is outrageous. A down economy effects everyone.

20. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

So, will GP coverage be on Universal Sports or just on NBC television-wise? I'm so lost. :rofl:

21. HisWeirness

Both.

Both NBC and Universal Sports TV will have TV coverage of the GP. Universal Sports TV has not announced their TV schedule for the GP yet but NBC has. NBC is showing 2 hours each of six events (NBC is not showing Cup of China).

You can check the Universal Sports TV schedule here, but nothing has been posted yet.

22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I got the IN subscription "update", as well.
    I'll accept the increase in price. It's the first since IN's inception.

Does anyone know how many subscribers they have?

23. Doggygirl

Doggygirl Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who helped summarize the USA viewing options. And HW, your web site just rocks. :cheer: Thanks a lot for making this easy for the rest of us!

ETA: I will also be renewing with IN. Even at the increased price, I think it's a great deal. I remember just a few years ago trying to watch the really crap feeds cutting in and out. When WebTV first came about at (I think??) about $15US per month, I thought that was a STEAL. And that was for coverage not in a language I can understand. (although I confess, not understanding the commentary / no commentary at all is often a blessing!) Anyway...I sort of thought IN was going by the wayside and I'm glad they are back this year as an option.

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I have always thought the price was so low that they could not be making much money and the truth is... unless it brings in enough $$ it's gone. So I will pay the fee. (Heck it's less then a ticket to one event :) )

Universal is more problematic. Don't like the Silverlight and can't make it work at ALL in a lot of hotels.

IceNetwork works fine in my home, but as usual streaming video in hotels is hit or miss. That's not really IN's issue, but the hotels!

25. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

I'm so, so lucky that I get Universal Sports on TV here. I just have to hook up my extra-long cable and throw my antenna out the window for it! That, and use the weird theremin-sounding tuner on the box to get the best angle of reception.

26. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

27. HisWeirness

Some more details from universalsports.com premium video section about the live online streaming they will provide:

28. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'm sticking with IN. They do offer more for the price. You get to see all of US nats.

I don't have universal sports TV and it seems unlikely that DirectTV will ever carry it. :( Or, more likely, they'll decide to carry it and US will stop covering skating. I got ESPN360 the year after ABC dropped the contract.

29. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The whole Direct TV thing is pissing me off. So much so that my husband and I are thinking about dropping it and going to cable.

30. HisWeirness

Excerpt from icenetwork.com email to 2009-10 subscribers:
    I think they mean valid until Sept. 30, 2011 ;)