Underrated Actors/Actresses

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, May 28, 2011.

1. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

A couple of my favorites...

Stephen Root--he works all the time and is consistantly good. From Dodgeball ("L for Love") to Finding Nemo and King of the Hill to The Men Who Stare at Goats and Office Space he makes an impact. And of course his break out role on News Radio was a hoot.

Bruce McGill--starting wilth D-Day Lewis in Animal House all the way through My Cousin Vinny, Collateral and Cinderella Man, he delivers varied and important performances. Plus he's a great guy.

Stephen Lang--Talk about an intense performer. He plays crazy (The Hard Way) Obsessed (Avatar) an outlaw (Tombstone) a prima donna (Gettysburg) and brings it every time. You can hardly believe it's the same guy playing a serial killer The Party Crasher, George Pickett and Colonel Quaritch

2. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Thought of another actress I feel is underrated--Samantha Morton. I've loved her in just about everything I've seen, especially In America. And the actor who played her husband was wonderful as well.

Regarding Angela Bassett, she's talented as well as one of the most beautiful actresses out there.

3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Definitely!

Band of Brothers has to be one of the best-cast projects I've ever seen, and Wahlberg was certainly one of the standouts.

Oh, yes, considering how good she was in Hairspray, that would have been fantastic. She's much more versatile than people give her credit for.

4. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I agree, but sometimes actors can get labeled.

I wonder if Michelle is almost too pretty, still, to be cast in the juicy older women roles.

5. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I don't think that anyone thinks that Liev is underrated, what with his multiple Tony's and rep as an "actor's actor". I think he's just little known outside of acting/Broadway circles. I know he's been trying to find his big break in film. I hope he does.

6. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Ed Norton underrated? He got an Oscar nom for his first major film (Primal Fear). He starred in Fight Club and got another Oscar nomination for American History X. He's not underrated, he's one of the most respected A-list actors. (And I love him)

My pick for an underrated actor is Jim Carrey. I wish he'd be given (or choose) more serious roles, because Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and The Truman Show are two of my favourite movies.

I also think Marisa Tomei's Oscar was completely deserved. I think her acting is wonderful.

Oh- and every movie that requires a romantic leading man (not a youth) should just go ahead and cast Sean Bean and I'd be very happy. The fact that he got so typecast as a villain in NA is just a tragedy.

I just went to see Pirates of the Carribean 4 - to see the amazing Ian McShane. He's right up there with DeNiro in filling the screen with his presence.

eta - Stephen Root- I agree he is great. He's one of those "Look it's that guy" actors, who I'm always happy to see.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  7. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

I saw him in two different things this weekend and he was just great in both!

8. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

We're watching all three years of Deadwood for the first time....we're just starting year 3 tonight. I have been enjoying the lovely Mr. Olyphant, but the longer we watch, the more I look for and enjoy the scenes with McShane...yes, presence! I even find him somehow attractive in a gnarly kind of way. Those eyes! That series was HIS.

9. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Agreed. She was very highly rated for her role in My So-Called Life, which is one of my favorite TV shows of all time, and won a Golden Globe for it.

I LOVE her!!! My family was on vacation when BBC's production of Tom Jones was serialized on A&E, and we rushed back to watch it every night. She was so good. And what a departure her part in Minority Report was from typical actressy roles.

Agreed on both points. I was disappointed Carrey wasn't nominated for Eternal Sunshine, he really dove into that performance and it's one of my favorite movies (not in the least because of Miss Kate).

Who could argue with Tomei?! "Imagine you're a little de-ah, just wanting a sip of wah-tah, then BAM!" :rofl:

10. rudi

rudi Well-Known Member

I always thought that Eric Roberts is underrated and is 10 times the actress his sister is. (I think Julia Roberts is an overrated actress. She seems to act the same in every movie.) Haven't seen him in anything lately, so I'm not sure if he is still out there acting.

I also agree with those of you who said Leonardo DiCaprio. I think that he was overlooked for a few Oscar nominations and possibly overlooked for an Oscar win for What's Eating Gilbert Grape. (I can't remember who won that year.)

I also think Johnny Depp and Claire Danes are fantastic actors and perhaps underrated. I'd like to see both of them win an Oscar at some point.

11. rudi

rudi Well-Known Member

I totally agree. He is very talented. He seems to be able to pull off any role, and do it well.

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Agree - always been a fan of his. And, he's got to be one of the hardest working actors in Hollywood - massive list of credits, and about a dozen projects in the pipeline: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000616/

13. rudi

rudi Well-Known Member

Wow, that's quite a long list. Glad to see he's still out there acting.

14. cruisin

^^ I remember seeing Eric Roberts in Star 80, years ago. I thought he was amazing. When Julia came on the scene, I thought of her as Eric's sister, not the other way around :).

15. Holley Calmes

Count me as another who is not a Julia Roberts fan. I find her shallow and brittle. There are so many other actresses with far more beauty and gifts. I just never got why she was such a big deal. I did like her in Steel Magnolias, though. But the older she gets, the harder she seems. I see she might play the wicked witch in a new version of Snow White or Sleeping Beauty or something.....good casting!

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Count me as another who prefers Eric Roberts to Julia - and always has.

17. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

She fit my mental image of Harriet Smith far better than Toni Collette did (nothing against Ms. Collette, she's wonderful, but not as Harriet Smith)>

18. cruisin

I agree with you about the acting. But, and I'm not sure that this is what you meant, I get the impression (wicked witch) you think she is not a nice person. Everything I've read about her points to her being a very nice lady and a wonderful mother.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

ITA about Jim Carrey, Julia Roberts (way overrated) and Toni Colette being inappropriate for Harriet Smith.

Holley, you are so right--the older Julia gets, the more set in her acting ways she gets. She acts the same character over and over again. Meh.

20. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I see names on some of these posts that are head scratchers. Stanley Tucci? Kevin Bacon? Angela Bassett? Helena Bonham Carter? They've all had wonderful roles over the years and have name recognition. Not so much name recognition that they are considered paparrazzi-chasing stars. And thank goodness for that.

It makes me wonder what some of you considered underrated. The fact that they are not cast in more films than they have been? A lack of awards? So many of the actors that are listed here, even the ones that aren't household names, work pretty steadily. That tells me that they are not at all underrated.

Let's also consider the leading man/woman vs. character actor argument. Often the attention falls on those that get the leading roles. But ask many actors, and they'll tell you how much they love playing the supporting characters. Not all actors are hoping for a mainstream role that will allow them to become household names. I would wager there are many actors who have been named on this thread that would be shocked to learn that they are considered underrated given the breadth of their work.

21. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Well thinking about character actors: Earlier in the thread Gary Oldman was mentioned and I now think of him as a character actor: He is often not the lead and unrecognizable from film to film and I never understood how he was overlooked for an Oscar nomination for "The Contender." He nailed the partisan/hypocritcal Congress member.

As for actress: I love Christine Baranski whether she's singing/dancing or playing a law partner or anything else for that matter.

22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

She plays the exact same character in every film and tv role that I've seen her in: the smart alecky, somewhat snooty sidekick that talks as if there's a 10 foot pole up her *ss.

23. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Seriously. Leonardo DiCaprio and Johnny Depp are underrated? To me, they're two of the most overrated actors in recent memory. I think someone like Tim Curry is underrated- recognizable name, quite talented and well known on the theatrical stage, but underutilized in film with nothing of note in recent years.

24. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Mary Stuart Masterson. I always thought she'd be a major contender, but she's never really been an A list performer. She's certainly done some great performances tho......Fried Green Tomatoes for instance.

25. Holley Calmes

Well, cruisin', I hate to disagree but...it was pretty well written about when she married her now-husband....he was a cameraman on her movies. His then-wife was 7 months pregnant with their 2nd child when he left her for Julia. Julia then had tee-shirts made that proclaimed "A Low Vera." Vera was his wife's name. Google it. You'll find plenty of references.

I say, sometimes you can't help falling in love, but if your love is still married to a woman-even if he doesn't love her any more-who is 7 months pregnant, for God's sake wait until the baby's born and then untangle the mess. I have absolutely no respect for this person. Heck-these people. Well, he certainly gained a wonderful meal ticket. That Julia is a great mom-I have no doubt. At least to her own.

All of this was very well documented. I remember it well-not just tabloids from one source.

My motto: if the man is married-stay the f*** away.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  26. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Julia Roberts.

27. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Underrated actors:

Chris Cooper
    David Strathairn

28. dramagrrl

dramagrrl Active Member

Lee Pace
    Nathan Corddry
    Tom Cavanagh
    Bradley Whitford
    Joshua Malina
    Paul Gross
    Sarah Paulson
    Anna Friel
    Miranda Otto
    Sarah Polley
    Allison Janney (who seems to get acclaim for every role she does play, but aside from her standout role as CJ Cregg in The West Wing, always seems to play small niche roles in movies)

29. SwingDancer

SwingDancer Active Member

Amiee Garcia from The George Lopez Show and TRAUMA!!!

30. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Stellan Skarsgard - he's one of 'those guys' that's in a lot of things but you never really know who he is. He's things like 'the dad in Mamma Mia who's not Pierce Brosnan or Colin Firth', or 'that guy in that artsy film.' But he's really quite awesome!

Another actor that I thought was seriously underrated until recently was Christian Bale. Even with his Batman movies, he didn't get an insane amount of buzz. I found it insane to believe that The Fighter was his first ever Oscar nomination, because he is seriously a brilliant actor, and I've adored him since he sung and danced his way into my heart in Newsies.

Kristin Bell - she's gotten kind of stuck doing terrible romantic comedies, but anyone who ever watched Veronica Mars knows that she's got the chops to do a hell of a lot more (and seriously, how did she never get an Emmy nomination for that role?)

I also find there are a lot of actors who are more noted for their personal lives, which overshadows their talent.

For example, I adore Alexander Skarsgard. He's become a tabloid favourite because of True Blood, and his relationship with Kate Bosworth (despite the fact that he tries to keep it insanely low key). But people pigenhole him as the 'hot Swedish vampire'. Looking at the work he's done though, he's played everything from an idiot male model in Zoolander, to a Nazi, a US marine, a homosexual Norwegian Olympian/Arctic trekker, and even suicidal transvestite! He's already getting rave reviews for his role in the upcoming Straw Dogs remake. I hope it will let him start to be known as more than the hunky Swedish vampire who's dating the skinny blonde who nobody can really remember why she's famous.