Underrated Actors/Actresses

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, May 28, 2011.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Ok--without skating (and college basketball) I'm bored: So my question to you is this: Whether old or young or middle-aged, and dead or alive, who do you feel are underrated actors/actresses?

My selection is (or I think they still are) a couple:

British actors David Thewliss and Anna Friel. David especially but he is not conventionally handsome so that must make him a difficult fit for producers looking at the bottom line. From what I've read they are also fine stage actors though I've not seen them. I think Anna gets some throwaway parts sometimes but I love that she had comedic skills I've read are often more difficult than dramatic roles.

Tell me who I should be watching for when I'm flipping through all of those cable channels this summer.
  2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Naomi Watts. She was amazing in Mulholland Drive. She hasn't had many roles worthy of her talent since.

Edward Norton. Loved him in The People vs. Larry Flynt, The Illusionist and The Painted Veil (with Naomi Watts).

Agree about David Thewliss.
  3. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

Among those actors I feel are underutilized on film, Stephen Dillane (Leonard Woolf in The Hours), Kelly MacDonald (Carla Jean in No Country for Old Men), David Paymer (Dan Enright in Quiz Show), and Michael Pennington (the eponymous hero of the 1984 BBC production of Oedipus the King) are my favorites. In Pennington's case, however, all of his best work seems to be on television and in the theater, but I for one will be looking out for his performance as Michael Foot in The Iron Lady.
  4. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I LURVE them in The Painted Veil. Beautiful movie :swoon:

James McAvoy. Great in Atonement, The Last King of Scotland, Becoming Jane, and he was even good in that schlock Wanted.

Ever since Wimbledon, I've quite liked Paul Bettany.
  5. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Kevin Bacon, Ciaran Hinds, Chris Cooper, Brian Cox, Tim Roth

The following are all from an earlier era and may not really belong in the category of underrated. They just weren't as famous as others of their time. The names may not be familiar, but the faces would be. They all show up on TCM.

Beulah Bondi, Edward Arnold, Donald Crisp, Sterling Holloway, Spring Byington, Gladys Cooper. Also from this era, the marvelous Jack Carson and Joel McCrea, who was a fine comedic actor before his western movie days.
  6. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

cillian murphy
  7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

ITA about Kevin Bacon. Love him.
  8. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

YES. Completely agree.
  9. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

Hugh Bonneville. I always admired how brilliant he was with comedy, and then he blew me away with his cruelty in Daniel Deronda.
  10. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I like him, too.
  11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Brittany Murphy
    Juliette Lewis
  12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Kirsten Dunst. Glad to see her win the major acting prize at this year's Cannes.
  13. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Totally agree regarding Naomi Watts and Edward Norton.
    Would like to add to that list:

Paul Giamatti, who was absolutely amazing in Sideways & The Illusionist;

Helena Bonham Carter, whom I loved in A Room with a View, The Wings of the Dove & The King's Speech;

Stanley Tucci, who was wonderful in The Devil Wears Prada & Julie & Julia;

Billy Crystal did a great job in Soap (as Jodie, who was probably among the first gay characters on US TV), Throw Momma from the Train & When Harry Met Sally;

Michelle Pfeiffer who was fabulous in The Fabulous Baker Boys, Dangerous Liaisons & The Age of Innocence;

Leonardo DiCaprio deserved an Oscar for his roles in What's Eating Gilbert Grape & Shutter Island.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Donnie Wahlberg. Yes, *that* Donnie Wahlberg. He's really very good.
  15. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Bruce Willis. He may do a lot of action movies, but the ones where he actually has dialogue and has to do more than just jump from building to building...he's excellent. Unbreakable is one of my favorite with him :)

Claire Danes is another one. Temple Grandin was great, but not a lot of people saw it and you rarely hear people talking about her acting abilities.
  16. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I loved him in Band of Brothers. But I loved just about everyone in that.
  17. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

ITA! Daniel Deronda was actually my first exposure to him so I was pleasantly surprised by how well he does comedy. I love him as the patriarch in Downton Abbey. He is a really versatile actor.

Actually Daniel Deronda had quite a few actors who I think are underappreciated: Ramola Garai, Jodhi May and Hugh Dancy (he even has a great American accent to boot). Jodhi and Hugh D. also are quite versatile and I would love to see them in more productions.
  18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

When I was thinking about my list I wanted to add Liev Schreiber: the mention of Naomi Watts made me think of him. And I agree about Naomi...she is first rate.
  19. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

He was the voice of Winnie the Pooh, and he also was in a Sonja Henie movie Iceland (the first movie of hers I ever saw).
  20. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:respec:
  21. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Ciaran Hinds! Yes! I totally agree.

This actor has been around and had lots of roles, and he's a familiar name, but to me he has never gotten the respect he deserves: Gary Oldman. Yes, he's had roles, but he's never been that "celebrated" actor who gets the top choices of character parts. He's made a lot of junk, and he's fought some personal demons. But he seems to be coming out of that now. His abilities are far beyond the Harry Potter movies...fun though they are. I remember him in The Professional...he was unbelieveable! And here's one for all the Black Swan/Natalie Portman "did she or didn't she" crowd....In "Immortal Beloved" Gary Oldman actually played the exact notes of Beethoven's Emperor Concerto third movement along with the London Symphony....I'm sure he didn't sound like the greatest of pianists, but I can tell you from personal experience...those notes are not easy to play! In fact, I can equate the difficulty of performing that piano concerto with performing Odette/Odile. Natalie gets an Oscar...Gary gets....????? Not knocking Natalie-just sayin'. I mean Gary played the actual notes! Natalie struck some poses....both had doubles.

Maybe with Gary having "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" coming out, he'll start getting that respect he deserves-it's supposed to be a fabulous movie.

Of course, it could be all Gary's fault....bad choices in both lifestyle and in roles. But-I think he's highly deserving of better roles and praise.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I agree, Claire Danes is an excellent actress. And I think she gets praise for the significant roles she plays, don't forget Brokedown Palace and Romeo and Juliette. Temple Grandin was an exceptional portrayal of an exceptional woman. I think she is very selective (we'll forgive her for doing Mod Squad) and that might be why she doesn't do as many films as some other actresses.

Love Edward Norton, I just re-watched Red Dragon last night. I will forgive him for the misguided The Hulk.

Agree about Michelle Pfeiffer, she is an amazing actress. I wonder if Grease II effected her?

Leonardo DiCaprio is also great, I couldn't stand him in Titanic, but he has proven himself over and over, since then.

Holley, I think Gary Oldman started out with a lot of respect. I remember him being considered one of the most talented, young, up and coming dramatic actors. It seems that somewhere along the line that fizzled. I don't know why, maybe he became too risky?
  23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Angela Bassett - she should be doing more - she's amazing in all respects.
    smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  24. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

:respec: She is an incredible actress and she should definitely be getting more work.
  25. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I thought that she'd be working more after her knockout performance in the Tina Turner bio, but I've heard that she's very, very selective when it comes to picking parts. She even turned down Monster's Ball, the role that won Halle Berry her Oscar. Halle was good, but I do think that Angela would have done a lot more with the part.
  26. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Often actors do not get the recognition due to their own decisions with parts. sometimes they are wrong, by turning down a plumb role as in Angela Bassett and Monster's Ball, or doing a lame movie like Claire Danes in Mod Squad. Sometimes they just don't feel a part, but I respect their integrity. Sometimes they do drivel, and I respect their need to eat :).
  27. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Ed Harris.
  28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Definitely Ed Harris. Did a terrific job in Pollock. And who doesn't love Stanley Tucci.
  29. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Love Jodhi May. She's done boatloads of theatre work in England, but ever since seeing A World Apart and Last of the Mohicans, I kept hoping she'd do more film and TV series. Catherine McCormack from Breaveheart is another actress that I'd like to see more of. She was very good in Lights Out, even though her American accent might need a little more work. Any producers willing to cast her in a new series and give her a chance to do just that :p?

Don't think anyone's mentioned Andrew Scott from the new Sherlock series and Lennon Naked, or Tobias Menzies from Spooks and HBO's Rome.

General trend seems to be most of the under-appreciated actors are from Ireland or the UK -not exactly a huge surprise:).
  30. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Grease II was very early in her career. Pfeiffer has proven herself many times since then. I think her career has cooled due to a combinations of her taking some time off to raise her kids, making too many dramas that failed at the box offices, and just not getting the juicy roles any more now that she's past 40. For a while it seemed like Susan Sarandon had first dip on roles for older actresses and then Meryl Streep became hot again and now Helen Mirren is the hot go to old dame for Hollywood.

Would've loved to see Michelle as one of the leads in Mama Mia.