Under The Dome

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

My thoughts exactly!!

Although, they did say she was talking crazy at the end. :lol:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Wasn't Julia quite in love with her husband? So what am I missing with her hooking up with Barbie so quickly? Not that I blame her as he is gorgeous! :grope: But it seemed to have moved so quickly. Maybe the relationship had problems and she was hanging on...and when she found out he was not only into gambling as well as debt as well as abandoning her (she thinks) that all this allowed her to let him go. And maybe the traumatic nature of the whole dome thing made her need someone really bad...and there was Barbie. I also wondered if he was going to come clean to her at the end of the last episode, even if it meant her throwing him out...just so that he didn't have to live under Maxine's blackmail.

I can't remember if something specific was said, but when Big Jim and Junior were talking about their wife/mother, it sounded like she was experiencing hardships towards the end of her life. So maybe she was dealing with a mental illness and was put into a home? They did artwork there and maybe she was reverting back to a childlike state?

That's a good guess. How come I didn't think of that?? :lol:

3. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Thinking that I need to read the book. Books are always so much better than the movies or TV shows upon which they are based. Yeah, I understand that most times you can't do the book exactly and so "poetic license" is used but there have been times when the movie/TV show does the book no favours.

4. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I never, never, never read the book until after the tv show/movie comes out and I've seen it if I can at all help it. It just ruins the movie/tv show to have read the book 99.99999% of the time.

5. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

MARE WINNINGHAM!!! Mare Winningham..........??? She can't be gone already... Didn't get how her last scene ended. If Big Jim wanted her gone, he could have made that happen. Unless he wanted her to live and send a message to Maxine? Surely Maxine's Mom can just float on her back and kick her legs until she reaches shore?

I was so glad that Barbie came clean to Julia because after everything that happened under the cement factory, I was thinking, "snap that b****'s neck"!!! It's so much better that he fessed up and now they can move on without Maxine having power over him. I actually really liked that scene. I was waiting for Julia to scream and kick Barbie out and have it all be melodramatic. Instead, she had figured everything out and had come to the decision that with the lives they are now living, she can't go it alone and found somebody who helps strangers to be her partner. I appreciated the subtley and thoughtfulness of this whole scene.

Two other moments I liked:

When Joe said, "It's a chrysalis" and Norrie rolled her eyes for a second, but then let that pass and smiled at him as if to say, "what a geek...but I like it!" :D

And when Agatha (Mare Winningham) stared down Big Jim with her rifle and said, "Maxine didn't learn to be who she is by her Father..." :respec:

6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

that Fight Club scene was idiotic to the max(ine).

Too bad we couldn't have Maxine die and keep Mare Winningham.

7. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Yeah, my first thought was that we haven't seen the last of Agatha. I mean, you don't get Mare Winningham to play a part and then kill her off after 30 minutes.

8. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

What the hell was the deal with the fight club stuff? I didn't understand that at all. :shuffle:

I don't think Agatha will drown either. She could just roll over on her back and start kicking for shore. I think he did that to send a message to Maxine.

9. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

as i said that, she took her last breath

i dont know what she got paid but her price per minute could be pretty high

10. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I hadn't thought of Agatha making it. But, I hope she does. The whole fight club thing is just weird. For anyone who read the book, was it in the book? Add me to those who like that Julia came to terms with Barbie and what happened. A little depth there.

11. genevieve

I haven't even read the book, but from the little I know there has been significant divergence from the source material.

I'm a little tired of random people that we've never seen - who apparently the residents of this small town where everyone knows everyone have also never met or known about - showing up so long after the dome came down. The Agatha thing - how is it even possible that she was living there and Big Jim never knew she was there? He has his nose in EVERYBODY's business! And it is completely unrealistic that Maxine and Agatha would have laid low when the dome came down instead of searching out other people. I mean, compared to the dome thing happening at all, which is of course totally believable :p

12. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

:rofl:

13. genevieve

thank goodness the wretched Maxine is dead. Bonus: Julia is currently unable to speak!

There really should be a drinking game around how inept Linda is as a cop :rofl:

The ending vision was truly creepy.

14. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

They're certainly doing well in the writing of the Junior characters. Just when I give him a little bit of slack, he does something creepy which makes me want to write him off. When he said he would not participate with the other three so that he could keep Angie around forever, I thought, "well, now you've just imprisoned Angie for the SECOND time". :soapbox:

So is Julia the monarch? Some of the four think they weather changed because of disharmony in their group, Joe thinks Barbie's heroics brought an end to the possible storm. But I don't know why Joe didn't think that the storm came about because the monarch (Julia) had been harmed, and the clouds worsened as she did...and went away as she pulled through. Joe's been so bright up til now...

Big Jim's radio show was quite :eek: When he mentioned death penalty, he added a new level of villainy to his character. And I believe Linda was listening to his broadcast. I thought she was going to freak when he said that, but she looked disheartened that this had to happen. Maybe the shot of her was too quick and we'll see a different reaction from her next episode. I hope!

You don't like Julia? She is one of my favourites. I loved how she and Barbie are talking things through regarding their relationship instead of the childish screaming dramatics that adults often partake in so often in TV dramas. They're thinking before they speaking and using their heads instead of letting their emotions run wild. I love seeing such an adult relationship on screen.

As for Maxine, I'm not sure she's dead. But then I haven't let go of Agatha (Mare Winningham) completely yet, in spite of the blue lips! :lol: I was hoping Maxine was going to drag her out of the lake and start giving her mouth-to-mouth and then watch Mare sputter her way back into my weekly viewing. Can't believe we only got her for one episode. :wuzrobbed Maxine is a great villain, so I'm hoping she was only injured like Julia was.

What surprises me about this part of the story is that I think we've only seen three people in the Chester's Mill police department, with two of them dead. Linda has taken on Junior as a deputy and Barbie has helped out. So considering it's basically been a one-woman show, I think she's done well. It seems she's been working a double shift every single day since the dome arrived. I'm assuming she's stopping to get a few hours of sleep every night! :D

I thought the vision was premonition and that Big Jim would die unless they did something. So I was surprised to hear them say, "he must die" and then "we're supposed to do it". :eek: And the four (bloody?) knives in their hands? I agree, definitely creepy!

15. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Was Maxine in the book? I wonder because her character and story line (drugs, fight club, mom secretly living on an idyllic island, etc.) were so ridiculous. Why introduce her character, spend so much time on her in the last episode and then kill her off? (Not that I'm sorry she's gone.)

Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.
  16. genevieve

no! :scream:

have you missed the fact that almost every time she sets out to do something police-like, she fails? She took someone prisoner and ended up getting locked in her own jail cell! Even this episode, she's called to the house to help Julia, her car is burgled, she can't get someone to just give her their car (and it was someone friendly to the cops!), and she takes so long that she arrives long after Barbie & Julia are gone. Even when she's not completely failing, she's 5 steps behind everyone else. I really hope there is someone making a youtube collection of her police fail greatest hits :lol:

17. BaileyCatts

Well I guess I was wrong about Agatha .... as usual. :lol:

Off topic but ... PeterG, have you ever seen "Love is Never Silent"? Great Mare made-for-TV movie from the 80's.

18. Gypsy

No, Maxine nor Mom or that story line were in the book. I really didn't care for that addition to the story.

Mare made some great for TV movies. Wish you could see some of them now. I loved "Freedom" & "Off the Minnesota Strip"

19. BaileyCatts

So I'm watching tonight's episode and the scene where Barbie and Big Jim are on the courthouse steps and Jim is reading off all Barbie's, uhm ... crimes, in front of all the townspeople and makes Barbie admit to his, uhm ... sins ...... it was so weird because it was like I had seen that story before. And then we see the previews for next week where the skies turn black as sackcloth, someone is speaking of Revelations, and and and about how One has to die for the Good of the Many, and The Monarch being crowned ..... hmmmmmmm. ;) Loved it when Barbie said not guilty!

Could anyone hear what the outside Army people were saying on the radio signal Dodie picked up where they were talking about Barbie? It was so fuzzy I couldn't make it out at all, then Big Jim shoots her! Why'd he kill her?? What was said on the radio??

20. Gypsy

They mentioned Barbie is the only one who could handle the situation. They also mentioned the "egg". And the reason Big Jim killed Dodie is they also talked about how Big Jim murdered Rev. Jim at the dome. So, Dodie pretty much had it figured out that Big Jim was the real killer in the dome.

21. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Barbie definitely has to be the Monarch now, what with the way the egg started freaking out when he was captured. It's angry.

Regarding Big Jim, I've never wished for anyone to die so hard. He's slime.

And great writing regarding Junior; I can't believe I actually root for him at times, considering what he's done! Craziness. He is koo-koo for cocoa puffs but every bad thing he's done has been motivated out of a desire to help, even though he went to some pretty twisted measures.

22. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Yeah, here he killed yet another person. Is he planning on killing everyone in the whole town and being the only one left alive under the dome? Could get kind of lonely.

23. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

This should have gone in my previous post. People are trying to tell him his father is behind all the problems and he's seen enough evidence of that. He was standing there looking like a lightbulb might come on over his head and I said "think, kid!!!". Will he side with his father or the town??????????

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The ending was a bit anticlimactic.

25. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

26. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Hahahaha :rofl: I never watched the show but that was hysterical. :lol:

27. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

That was better than watching the episode, that is for sure.

28. BaileyCatts

29. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Stupid...the word you're looking for there is stupid. :p

That's one of the WORST finales I've ever seen and I watch a lot of TV! I feel like I wasted my Monday nights after seeing that finale. OY. Not sure I want to come back for season two anymore. :eek: :rofl: :shuffle:

30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Both Under the Dome and Siberia finished without really answering any questions. :revenge: :mad: :wall: :angryfire :lynch: :soapbox: