Under The Dome

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Aug 5, 2013.

1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I've been really enjoying this show and it seems to get a decent amount of posts in the TV thread, so I figured it deserves its' own thread. Tonight's episode is entitled, "Imperfect Circles" and here's a short note from Wikipedia about tonight's plot:
    Big Jim takes matters into his own hands when he feels his authority slipping. Meanwhile, the dome asserts its power when a life is taken away while a newborn arrives.

I also found a great sneak peak scene at youtube (that is great!...did I mention that? :lol:): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6LqR6aPg5Y

And the promo scene at the end of last week's episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG1ansGjpQo

For those of you who maybe haven't tuned in yet, here's a list of the episode guides that'll help you catch up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Under_the_Dome_episodes

That list includes the ratings. While they decreased (as is normal for a new show) in the first three weeks, the fifth and sixth episodes got higher ratings than the third and fourth episodes. So not only does this show have staying power, but it's probably a water cooler kind of show with the ratings increasing due to good word of mouth.

And a series synopsis for the newbies:

And lastly, some articles of interest:

How Under the Dome has ‘changed the face of summer television’

This article has a mention of the ratings:

Under the Dome renewed for Season 2

:cheer2: :respec: :cheer:

2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I've been watching, it's pretty good!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

So Barbie and Julie wake up in bed together. Barbie recently killed Julia's husband. And Julia's beloved husband is only recently out of her life. Don't get the motivations for either of these characters... :huh: Do we know the exact connection between Barbie and Phil (the black DJ)? I was wondering if it was possible that Phil or someone else killed Peter (Julia's husband) but Wikipedia says that Barbie did it. Or maybe we just think he did? That he is covering for someone else? I'd prefer the hero of the show was not a murderer...and a murderer who sleeps the wife of the man he killed, to boot!

I thought that Big Jim made for a good villain...and now we have Ollie! :lol: Man, that guy who plays him is a great actor, because I HATE Ollie! Interesting that in this episode, not only is Ollie's henchman offed, but Linda and James/Junior get rid of the two thieving rapists. Now we're left with a showdown between Big Jim and Ollie...

Did anyone think Alice's eyes were going to open when Norrie was pleading with the dome? "Tell me what you want...I'll do anything!" I thought Alice would then open her eyes...and Norrie would somehow be indebted to the dome... Not sure why Alice and Norrie thought the dome had power over what was happening. Yes, the dome projected an image of Alice to Norrie, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the dome itself controls everything.

4. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

The book was so much better. That show is annoying at best. Good idea, poor actors, poor stories. A huge mess.

5. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

In a prior flashback, they showed Barbie and the husband fighting over the gun, and the gun going off, killing the husband. So, the killing was apparently accidental; Barbie had just gone to collect on the debt and things turned south.

I totally did! :shuffle:

6. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:cheer: :D

:(

I never read the book, but might after having this mini-series catch my attention. But "annoying at best"? HARSH!!! :lol: I think the actors are quite good. If I were to fault anything, it'd be the two-dimensionally written characters. But that's kind of Stephen King, he focusses on a great story to the detriment of fully fleshed-out characters. But that's fine as long as you accept that going into it. I don't see it as a mess at all...unless you mean how everything has quickly gone into anarchy. But now that some (most?) of the bad guys are gone, hopefully things will settle down. All in all, it's a fun summer ride. :D

Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.
  7. MarieM

I will just go out with ONE example.

The prisonner girl ? In the book, she's not all that alive at all. And what's great is the fact that junior goes to her to talk to a corpse.
    In the show ? annoying and stupid story instead. Nearly everything in the show is sub par. And I maintain the actors are really weak.

8. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I have not read any recent books by King. I read them all until Christine or Pet Cemetery (whichever was last). After that they all started reading the same. However, I always thought he developed his characters well. Especially Johnny Smith, in The Dead Zone.

With the exception of the original movie version of Carrie (why are they remaking it?), and The Dead Zone (because Christopher Walken was that good!), I don't think any Stephen King book has translated well to the screen. The Stand was my favorite book, it was so badly done for the screen. It was all over the place. There were too many overlapping plot lines in the book to make the movie viable in 6 hours. The Shining, even with stellar performances from Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duval, was so changed that it made me crazy!

Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.
  9. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

The Shining was a HORRIBLE adaptation. They changed so many things many of them for no reason.

My husband is watching this so I find myself watching it too. I find the acting uneven.

It's not really my kind of show though. I'm not into this kind of story. So I don't think I'm a fair judge of that. It's good enough that I pay enough attention to have a vague idea of what's going on and I can't say that about everything that's on when I'm in the room but not really into so there has to be something they are doing right. Plus now that they've revealed what made the dome, it's gotten more interesting to me.

10. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I stopped watching. What did they say made the dome? I'm just curious if it changed from the book, because that was definitely the weakest part of the book.

11. dardar1126

Nothing definitive yet...just a little dark sparkly egg-thing under a mini-dome...a sort of Russian nesting doll dome concept. :D

12. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

and now that there's a S2 in the works, I'm guessing we won't find out this summer.

which means there is less reason to keep watching :yawn:

13. dardar1126

I'll probably watch it through the summer, but am not sure I'm up for a second season either...I'm already kind of losing interest. :yawn:

14. dardar1126

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  15. MarieM

Everyone is wondering HOW ON EARTH a bad show like that can have been renewed when good shows never had the chance.
    Bad show, the acting is getting worse, I think I cannot continue wasting time to watch this !

16. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

If they want to turn a Stephen King novel into a two year series, then they should do the The Stand. Because as cruisin rightly pointed out, that book could in no way be done well in six hours.

17. MacMadame

I think what ratings they ARE getting are from people thinking they want to see how it turns out and it's not a big investment of time since it will be over soon. Now that it's going to be two seasons, I bet a lot of people pull out.

18. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Episode eight tonight, entitled "Thicker Than Water". Brief overview at Wikipedia:

Junior stands up to his father Big Jim, and finds out a secret regarding his mother's death. Meanwhile, Julia learns more about the "mini-dome."

Quote from TV Guide about Big Jim:

Executive producer Neal Baer said with TV Guide regarding Big Jim and the events of the previous episode that "Boomer and Ollie were preventing the town from getting access to water, so was Big Jim being evil or was he doing this to save the town? That's always the wonderful part about Big Jim — that it's not like he gets off on killing people, but the only people he's killed have threatened Chester's Mill. Ollie was going to keep everyone from getting water and we'll get into that next week in a big way."

Promo from end of last week's episode

Extended sneak peak scene between Joe and Julia

19. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Who was the girl at the end of the episode that they (oh so slyly) showed had a "monarch" butterfly on her shoulder? ;)
    Was it Angie? I couldn't make it who it was (stoopid dark TV screen).

20. dardar1126

Yeah, it was Angie.

21. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

It was interesting (strange) to listen to Big Jim tell James (Junior) that it was wrong for him to be judge and executioner. Hasn't Big James done that with two people already?

Wondered about Joe saying they were running out of food. It seems like the show has only covered a week or so, but I guess we're just seeing highlights and maybe a month has passed? I bet I have enough food in my place to last a couple of months, longer if I try to eat as little as possible. My Mom has enough to last double or triple that! :lol:

When Joe and Julia were at the mini-dome and she placed her hands on the dome and heard alter-Joe speak, she stopped there. I would have put my hands back on the dome and acquired as much info as...whatever...was willing to share with me! :lol:

Sad to see Ollie go. Leon Rippy did such a great job playing him! I think he and Big Jim are stealing the show. Dean Norris as Big Jim is a great actor. I'll have to imdb them both at some point. Wondered why Deputy Linda let James/Junior off without even a dirty look upon hearing he had just shot Ollie. Not to mention turned on her and their team. Guess she just had a hard day and wanted it to be over.

Yes, it was Angie. She was watching Joe and Norrie talking to each other on the grass in front of their home. Not sure if the monarch butterfly on her shoulder means she might be the monarch crowned? Or is that's in reference to the future King in the egg?? I read a little bit at Wikipedia about monarch butterflies, the only thing that stood out was that they are poisonous. Not sure if they will signify anything in upcoming episodes...probably as they've been featured in three episodes now, I think.

22. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting me know it was Angie! I thought it was, but my screen was so dark I couldn't tell. I'm usually totally wrong about where storylines are going, but just the way they slowly scanned across her butterfly tatoo, then the whole thing with all the butterflies a few episodes back, the butterfly tonight trying to get thru the dome, and "the monarch will be crowned" comment made me go ooohhhhh .... monarch, butterfly, something to do with whoever that girl is that I can't see on my stoopid dark TV screen! :lol:

23. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

For the week of August 5th to 11th, Under The Dome was the second highest rated show of the week! :cheer:

Tonight's episode is called "The Fourth Hand". Brief plot info from Wikipedia:

Big Jim (Dean Norris) and Barbie (Mike Vogel) discover that their lives are more connected than they had first thought when a mysterious woman, Maxine (Natalie Zea), appears unexpectedly in Chester's Mill. (Zea you might recognize from either The Following, Justified or Californication.)

Brief plot info from tv.com:

Big Jim receives an unexpected visitor from his past. Meanwhile, Joe and Norrie find the source of the Dome in Joe's barn, and Barbie and Linda encounter Chester Mill's drug dealer.

Preview promo shown at the end of last week's episode

Sneak Peak scene from tonight's episode

24. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I am not sure how this show could last for two seasons at the rate they are killing off the town people. :lol:

25. dardar1126

I think I'm about done with Dome. I forgot it was on last night...then managed to catch the last half...and found I didn't really care much about the characters or the story line. :yawn:

26. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm still watching, but now it's more background while I'm doing other things. the 4 hands/keys thing is ok, but the new chick *who has been in the dome the whole time but no one has seen her until today* is a total dud. The sexeeee entrance with Big Jim and Barbie was dumb. Although the "you're both pretty" line was probably the best writing the show has had so far :rofl: (it's a low bar, I know)

But I just wanna know the end of it all in the next month or so. Post-apocalyptic tales get dull when it just becomes every day :shuffle:

27. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

What do people think about Junior at this point? What if he's not a 100% whackjob and maybe understands things more than others. It'll be interesting if he actually turns out to be a good guy and has been protecting Angie all along. Not sure what's going to happen with this part of the story!

I loved the four hands thing. Can't figure out who the fourth will be. Doubt it's Joe's buddy...maybe the radio station lady who has an aversion to Joe and Norrie? That could make things pretty interesting! I like Maxine, she's tough and smart and I like how she stole the show from the two alpha males. :lol: And the "Girls...girls...you're both PRETTY..." line was CLASSIC!! :respec:

Interesting, I think the characters are the best part of the show. I like pretty much everyone. I like the younger cast, Angie and Norrie are two highlights. Well-written young female characters unlike Charlie on Revolution. There's actually nobody on the show who I don't enjoy. We're all supposed to hate Big Jim, but I keep giving him a chance...wonder if that's because the actor is doing such a good job of not letting us write him off.

I think we've seen somewhere between one and two hundred people so far. And there's probably that many under the dome that we haven't seen yet. So with a few deaths each episode, the show could probably go for a few hundred episodes. But I expect as things settle down, there will be less deaths.

28. MacMadame

I was bored until they revealed the 4th hand. So now I'm interested again.

29. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

I am thinking it is Junior. After seeing the connections with his Mom's art and the pink stars thing. Besides that would be a 2 guys, 2 girls thing.

30. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

That reminds me - what was the deal with Junior's mom's art looking like it was done by a 3rd grader? Yeah, I know that is probably some specific artsy style, and I can't draw a stick person with a ruler, but it just made me laugh. Oh, here's comes some fantastic realistic art...... and it looks like the stuff they do in rehab or something. I don't know..............