Unconfirmed: Zhang and Zhang may split?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jjane45, Apr 30, 2012.

1. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Is this brought up yet? Chinese forums are actively discussing a potential new partner for Zhang Hao (27). Allegedly Peng Cheng (17) / Zhang Tianci (20) split because of this, but nothing is confirmed yet. Oh well...

2. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Because she grew too tall? If the Zhangs can only manage so much unison and pairness after skating together for what, 504 years, what are the odds of any new team involving Zhang Hao getting even half of that before Sochi?

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  3. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

She's too tall, they just can't continue. It's sad but if he wants too and can he should be allowed. His injuries were a direct result of her height and if he can continue with a smaller parter, good for him! They can get good in 6 years.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Given his previous multiple injuries, I don't feel there's much chance of him having a real shot at 2018.

Zhangs should have split years ago, it's not like her being almost as tall as him is exactly news.

5. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

He is built like a house and she weights 2 pounds. He did not look like he had any struggle lifting her or throwing her. I am sure they will find him a tiny skater, but it won't be easy to find someone who can jump like her.

Every athlete deals with injuries. Trankov and Smirnov have similar one and overcame them. Get him healthy first.

6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I agree... her size was not a problem when they were doing throw 4sal and 4twist. Has she really grown taller since then?

And she was a great jumper... I will never forgot her coming back to hit 2axel-3toe right after her horrible fall in Torino. :respec:

I just think the fact is they are getting older, struggling with the jump more, and have not improved on their artistry. Pang & Tong are having similar issues. I hope the Chinese fed is not "blaming" Dan Zhang and/or her body type.

7. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

There was an article and apparently she has grown taller... she was 164 cm before and now is reportedly 169 or 170 cm. I guess when she was injured and took time off she grew, even at age 24.

8. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Allegedly more mix and match on the way among lower ranked pairs...

9. julieann

Like I said his injuries were cause from trying to catch a girl who was too big, 5'3", 5'4", 5'5" not to mention the added weight takes it toll on a guy. So as he's healing, other body parts start to compensate like his shoulder, even he admitted that. He said she was as tall as 5'7" and was now the tallest pairs skater ever. He is only 6 feet. That is not a good match. He is better off with a girl who is around 5'2" or 5'3".

I doubt she weighs 2 pounds, especially this year. This year was a struggle especially at the GPF. If he can find someone who is smaller to grow with him over the next few years, jumping usually isn't a problem with skaters especially at this level.

Trankov's and Smirnov's injury issues were not related to their partners. They were individual issues with their own bodies.

Yes, according to her wiki page:

Zhang Dan is the tallest currently-competing female pair skater. In 2008, she was 1.63 m and in October 2009, she reached 1.675 m, surpassing Tatiana Totmianina (1.65 m) and ending in a virtual tie with Viktoria Borzenkova (1.68 m) who are both retired. As of August 2011, she is the tallest female in elite pair skating, being 1.695 m in height.

10. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

So she finally started eating and started growing? God forbid that should happen. :(

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

My thoughts exactly...

12. julieann

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, no one said there was :rolleyes:

But should Hao Zhang have to lug around a girl who 5 inches shorter than he is?

Here is their last lift a the Grand Prix Final, it's really messy and he looks like he's in agony. And that's after about 18 months off I think to recover for his finger now he has shoulder problems from compensating for his finger, they were out the rest of this season. I don;t think they skated anymore this year.

So should he continue to train with her or start fresh? They are dating so that complicates things.

13. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

hm, would be sorry for them.
    i really like the skating of dan zhang; would be hard to find a girl with 3sal and 2a3toe, think it´s almost impossible :D

14. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I agree with you, it's a practical matter to find a very small partner, nobody can defy physics. Inches and pounds matter in skating, esp. for the lady in pairs, since throws and lifts are such a big part of the sport. I do feel bad for her, to literally outgrow the sport she has trained all her life for.

15. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

The silly part of me is thinking, if he finds a partnership with a tiny tot, they better be careful. If he is so used to hefting a larger person around, the first time he does a throw with a new girl, he's gonna end up tossing her across the arena! ;)

16. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

is Dan Zhang retiring? maybe she could skate singles since she's a good jumper? China doesn't have that many good ladies singles skaters, besides Kexin Zhang and Bingwa Geng is decent too.

17. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

And Zijun Li.

18. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

19. julieann

I wouldn't worry about it, the Zhangs didn't hit that combo enough times to make it worth it anyway ;)

20. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Yeah I would like to see her try singles. She was an incredibly boring pairs skater anyway, and she brought him down, especialy artistically. She could choose some stony serious music to skate to, it would suit her non expression as she skates, and she could actually try and make it work if on her own. I think she could do a number of triples training for singles, she seemed to be an excellent jumper.

21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I hope she does singles, even if only for a year.

And I'm calling bullshit on her growing at age "24."

22. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Seriously. :eek:

23. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

They hit it when it counted in 2006.

24. feraina

feraina Active Member

They've been competing internationally since 1999, including JGP medals in 1999.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhang_Dan
    You can go watch old youtube videos to check what she looked like then.

How old do you think she is now? Do you think she was eight or ten back in 1999?!

Obviously she's bit of an anomaly to be still growing in height into her 20's, though athletes in general have later growth spurts than non-athletes. Is this harder to believe than that she was winning JGP's at 10 (though looked 13-14)? I guess it's up to you what you want to believe in...

25. julieann

I didn't say they couldn't do one...that element was not there most consistent.

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She seems very decent!

Thanks for the link. :)

27. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that. :shuffle:

28. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Oh this would be so disappointing. They worked so hard to come back from injuries and he still seemed troubled by his shoulder as well. I have always enjoyed their power.

29. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

It's rumored that multiple tryouts happened
    and TPTB pretty much decided on Peng Cheng...

30. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

How tall is Peng Cheng? She has all the goodies to be successfull with him, but she needs dance classes so bad. She does not finish her moves.