Um, how does one upload old VHS clips to the internet?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by John 3 17, Dec 26, 2010.

1. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

OK, so I figure that I put the clip to DVD first so I'm not that dumb, lol. I've never known how and always managed to avoid needing to, but there's a clip that isn't on youtube that I want to share with my friends and my new laptop plays DVDs so I thought if millions are doing it maybe it isn't that hard? Do I need to download a program to do this? I googled and it seems I need a DVD ripping software? Any recommendations? TIA!

-Bridget

2. floskate

floskate Vacant

There are many DVD ripping programs out there but I use Magic DVD Ripper. It comes with a free trial, is very easy to use and I've never had a problem with it.

Simply load the DVD then select the in and out points of the clip you want and rip to your hard drive in the format you want. AVI works best for me. Good luck :)

3. acraven

acraven Well-Known Member

If the video is currently on a VHS tape, it is in analog format and must first be converted to digital. There are stand-alone devices that will do that, but I've never used one of them.

Some computers have the necessary hardware and software to do the analog-to-digital conversion--most likely those with TV tuner cards. You need to attach the VCR to an input port on a properly equipped computer and "capture" the video. The resulting format is likely to be .mpg (this may be true of the stand-alone devices as well), which you would probably want to convert to a more compressed format (like .avi) before posting on the internet. .Mpg videos are huge. The conversion from .mpg to .avi (or some other format) could probably be done with free software; if not, there are a lot of moderately priced possibilities out there. I think this part of the process isn't too difficult, but I don't know precisely how it works.

The initial analog-to-digital step is the one that may require you to spend some money on hardware or software. Alternatively, you probably have friends with the right set-up to capture the VHS video for you and put the data file on a DVD. (You might have to loan the friend your VCR, and some sort of cable(s) would be required.) Then you'd only need to copy that file from the DVD onto your computer and convert it from .mpg to a smaller format.

I think a DVD ripper program would be needed only if your video were on a finished DVD--the type you could pop into a DVD player and see on your TV.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  4. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Good explanation. I have a computer that did not contain a tv tuner so years ago I bought Hauppauge's WinTV PVR. It has external and internal versions. I have the external so I just connect it to a USB port. It has input ports for Composite or RF cable (like a regular TV cable). That is where I connect my VCR's output cables. The software that comes with the WinTV allows me to capture in different qualities but you are correct in that I capture mpg files. These files can either be captured as single performances, or as whole shows/competitions. (I back them up on DVD's but as data files, rather than converting them to VOB files to make a DVD movie out of them since it is a lot simpler and I have other devices that allow me to show mpg videos on my big tv screen if I want to.)

Anyway, the next part also is correct. If I want to share them by uploading them I will convert them to avi files. There is a really great freeware program called AnyVideo Converter. I know many many people who use it. It is super simple to use, allows you to batch up a whole bunch of files to convert so you don't have to be constantly monitoring it. It also now has great editing so that you can take a great big mpg file and break it up into separate performances for output. You can also combine files with it. This is especially convenient if you are making competition videos and your tv station has the (bad) habit of going for commercial breaks before showing the marks. I have found it to also be pretty fast, especially compared to Windows Movie Maker.

Good luck. Once you do a few you will see how easy it all is.