Ugh! US Ice Dance at Sectionals...

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Jayar, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

So, I was bored, and I was looking at how the Sectionals are shaping up, and this is what I have:

Easterns:
    Cannuscio/Lorello
    Cannuscio/McManus
    Hoptman/Filchenkov
    Zuber/Herring
    Pilgrim/Lorello
    Halstead/Knopf

Mids:
    Glastris/Allison
    Samuelson/Gilles
    Wingle/McKernan
    Schmucker/Munday
    Nardozzi/Traxler

Coasts:
    Chock/Bates (Even though I think they would qualify at Mids, I think Igor and company are smart enough to send them to Coasts to protect Wingle/McKernan)
    Hubbell/Donohue (Could go to Mids, but Olson/Cowan and H/D share coaches... they would both qual out of Coasts easily.)
    Olson/Cowan
    Lichtman/Copely (Do they have to qualify? I would guess they would go to Coasts.)

Looks like a couple of senior teams will be sitting at home this season. Sigh. I hate when that happens. There are only 18 teams trying for Nats. Let's send them all!!!

2. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere that Pilgrim/Lorello split?

Yes I agree send them all!

3. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the list, Jayar. Which GP events and Senior B's will allow skaters to have byes to Nationals this season, anyone? I'd like to see Cannuscio/Lorello get SA now that Chock/Bates got SC.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last I heard, only the final 3 Grand Prix competitions -- NHK Trophy, TEB and Cup of Russia -- give skaters a bye through Sectionals to 2012 Nationals.

Pilgrim/Lorello are registered to compete at Challenge Cup next month: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3272350&postcount=293

5. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

6. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^ Sylvia, can you let us know when you find out if indeed it is the last 3? And whom it might affect (getting a bye or getting another spot at sectionals..). Thank you (in advance) as always. :)

7. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

Only 3 senior teams have byes right now:

Davis/White (qualified due to Nationals placement and also qualified due to Rostelecom assignment)
    Shibutani's (qualified due to Nationals placement and also qualified due to NHK assigment)
    Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt (qualified due to Nationals placement and also qualified due to NHK assignment)

There are a number of teams with club affiliations across 2 sections. Hopefully, they've spread themselves out wisely. Especially since I don't think there's a fill-in rule.

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

It's silly that they should have to spread themselves out across the sections that they do- a fill up rule makes so much more sense. It's just one more layer of stress, trying to figure out what section everyone is skating out of!

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Lichtman/Copely are currently second on the alternates list for GP, and, odds are, they'll get a second spot, most likely in the last three events, unless USFS assigns them to the TBD at Skate America.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Ugh! is right when it comes to the number of projected Senior dance teams at Pacific Coast Sectionals. This is an UNOFFICIAL list I've compiled from various sources. I've added last year's Nationals (or Sectional) results in parentheses.

Easterns (4):
    Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus (J3)
    Isabella Cannuscio/Ian Lorello (S6)
    Ginna Hoptman/Pavel Filchenkov (S10)
    Meredith Zuber/Kyle Herring (S9)

Midwesterns (4):
    Alissandra Aronow (S11)/Collin Brubaker (S8) NEW
    Carina Glastris/Kevin Allison (J11)
    Madison Hubbell (S4)/Zach Donohue (S11) NEW
    Shannon Wingle/Timothy McKernan (S7)

Pacific Coasts (8!):
    Madison Chock (S3)/Evan Bates NEW
    Janine Halstead/Robert Knopf (E-J7)
    Charlotte Lichtman/Dean Copely (J1)
    Kristen Nardozzi (S12)/Nick Traxler NEW
    Anastasia Olson/Jordan Cowan (J4)
    Katherine Pilgrim/Alex Lorello (S15)
    Emily Samuelson/Todd Gilles NEW
    Brittany Schmucker/Adam Munday (N6)

Bye to Nationals: Davis/White (S1), Shibutani/Shibutani (S2), Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt (S5).

11. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

So Lichtman/Copely definitely aren't getting a bye b/c of CoC? That sucks....it will probably take them a full day to get back to MI and then they'll have to fly out to SLC a week later.

Looks like some teams miscalculated who would or wouldn't go out of Coasts.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  12. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Whoa-- Aronow and baby Brubaker are a team? I missed that. What's the deal with her citizenship? Is she American?

13. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Why would Igor be scared about Wingle/McKernan? They should have no trouble finishing at least 4th at Mids even with Chock/Bates. The other teams who would miss Nationals in the scenario aren't his teams. Am I missing something?

14. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

It's just 'insurance'. Nothing about their abilities-- more about ensuring that you are getting your kids to the big stage.

15. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Deadline for Sectionals? Is it too late to rearrange?

16. madm

madm Active Member

No, you can't rearrange. The deadline for registering in a particular Region is Sept. 1. You can't change your club affiliation or the Region you registered in. Usually pair and dance coaches talk beforehand to learn what the others are thinking of doing, so that they can spread out the teams across the Sections. It doesn't always work out evenly though.

17. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

How many from each sectionals can qualify for Nationals? So Pacific Coasts with have the 1st Chock/Bates vs Samuelson/Gilles showdown? Interesting...

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

4 from each of the 3 Sectionals.

Alissandra Aronow's ISU bio when she skated for LTU from 2008-2010 says she was born in Bloomfield Hills [Michigan] USA.

19. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

Thanks Sylvia. So is it the top 5 at Nationals that get a bye?

20. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

On the senior level, yes.

21. rhumba

rhumba New Member

Didn't she skate with Donahue last season?

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes, Aronow/Donohue placed 11th in Senior at US Nationals. I believe Aronow/Brubaker are training in Canton, MI.

23. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Who didn't skate with Donahue?