U.S. Team Envelope / International Selection Pool (ISP) skaters & updates for 2012-13

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 8, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

The 2012-13 team envelopes (A-C) have been published online by USFS: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48071&type=media

Earlier thread in Trash Can that explains the 2012-13 envelope criteria and the International Selection Pool (published on April 26, 2012): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82601

ETA: I'm glad to see that Angela Wang, Max Aaron, and Emily Samuelson/Todd Gilles (8th place finishers in Senior at 2012 Nationals) were included in Team C, along with Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage (6th in Jr Pairs) and Amanda Bertsch/Sam Kaplun (7th in Jr Dance; though both of them are currently listed on IPS).

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  2. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Glad to see Courtney Hicks get funding after her injury last season. :rollin:

I know one dance team (or at least his mom) that is very excited by their funding. Whee! :lol:

3. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thank Sylvia.

Happy that Caroline Z. and Agnes Z. were included in Team B.

4. vexlak

vexlak Member

out of curiosity how much funding does the USFSA provide?

5. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

Why was not Evan Lysacek not given ANY funding level? Because he did not compete last season? If true, USFS is cutting their own throat with what appears to some as a major Snub!

6. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

Does he really need the funds?

7. Visaliakid

If he competes, Who will he represent at international ISU events? USFSA!!!
    Sounds like USFSA doesn't really care if he competes for them or not. Not good PR!

8. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Hooray! Joshua and Jason both got team B! :D

....but Nathan Chen in Team B already? I don't know a whole lot about the envelopes but isn't that a little...high for someone who's only just old enough to do Juniors internationally? :confused:

9. jlai

jlai Title-less

Chen won junior men, and I thought usually junior US champs get team B.

10. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

all seems fair.

11. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Could the USFS add Evan to Team A or Team B if he actually does come back?

12. feraina

feraina Active Member

Wow, I'm surprised that Courtney Hicks made into Team C while Leah Keiser didn't. Leah was skating pretty well all season until National's. Too bad she was never given a JGP.

13. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

I think you have the answer in the first sentence of your response "if he competes". Part of the criteria for funding is:

Consideration will be given to place a 2010 Olympic medalist into Team A or Team B at the discretion of the ICMS. These athletes must have retained their eligible status and must be committed to competing in the current and/or following competitive season.

It sounds like Evan may not have made an official committment yet to USFS about competing in the upcoming season.

14. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Ah, okay. I guess it makes sense from that point of view.

I don't see why Lysacek should get USFSA funding. It's not like the US are short of quality men to begin with. Even Plushenko didn't get funding from the RFSF when he first came back and the Russians were in a much more dire state than the US are now. He had to prove to them he was serious before they would. The same thing should apply here; Lysacek can show he's serious before he gets funding.

EDIT: I see Tammi beat me to it and actually found a rule. :)

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  15. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

Not that I really miss him, but why is Brandon Mroz not there in an envelope (or am I blind)? And Mark Lawdwig with his new partner Lindsay Davis?
    And I guess what you said about Evan applies to Johnny Weir as well, that he is not on the list as it is not certain yet whether he really comes back?

16. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Mroz had a terrible GP season and was 14th at Nationals and thus didn't get any post-nationals assignments, so he didn't qualify for any funding this season. If he gets international assignments, he will be added to the reserve envelope.

17. Sylvia

Hicks won the gold medal at her JGP in Australia and that alone qualified her for Team C. Keiser won the gold in her junior international debut at Challenge Cup in March, but spring developmental international medals are not counted for Team C funding in the following season (although Keiser and Pfund/Reiss were added to Team C on the USFS site after they medalled at Challenge Cup).

Any new teams that are formed -- including from split ones that would had qualified for a 2012-13 funded envelope had they not split (Evora/Ladwig, Cain/Reagan, Poapst/Knierim, Olson/Cowan, Cannuscio/Lorello, Bonacorsi/Mager) -- will be added to the Reserve envelope if they receive an international assignment.

The published criteria for envelopes A-C are based on international and Nationals results this season and can be viewed at: http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=350

18. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Sylvia,
    You should start teaching classes.

ISK101: Remedial Grand Prix Assignments process and procedure
    ISK102: Remedial Junior Grand Prix Assignments process and procedure
    ISK103: US Figure Skating ISP and Team Envelope exploration

These three classes should keep you in work, pay for all of your expenses, and allow you to travel from competition to competition as a write off. Let me know if you decided to start conducting the classes. I think that I know where to get you some (hundreds) of students.

19. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

This. :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Daphne

Daphne Active Member

What Jayar said :)

21. Sylvia

Ahem. "ISK101: Remedial Grand Prix Assignments process and procedure" is kwanfan1818's specialty, not mine!

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I'm just an analyst nerd who's trying to reverse engineer what the GP Announcement means from the behavior that follows...

Rottie and (deleted member) like this.
  23. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Johnny isn't an olympic medalist either. He might not be assigned to any envelope.

24. Visaliakid

:watch: You folks just crack me up! :biggrinbo

25. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

So do GP assignments actually come out May 19th? For some reason I thought it was usually later in June...

26. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I think that it's actually May 21st, but I'm not sure if that's when the skaters are told and the public shortly thereafter. I think that it could be as much as a week later

27. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

The Skate America webpage specifically states that the ISU GP Assignments will be announced 5/21. The GP announcement was later last year b/c the WC was delayed.

28. vexlak

vexlak Member

I hate to be pushy but does anyone know how are the funds distributed? Or is it unethical to ask?

29. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Please refresh my memory, how does one who is not in a team envelope (such as Johnny, Evan and Brandon) get chosen for a grand prix event?

30. Sylvia

Envelope funding has nothing to do with Grand Prix selection -- see the 2012-13 Grand Prix Pre-announcement Thread for details about the GP selection process and criteria: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83348