1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.S. Team Envelope criteria revised for 2014-15 season + ISP updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

How was Lam even eligible for a GP event? Did she even skate internationally last year? Seems like she would have needed a few competitions to qualify.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Preparing for U.S. club comp. season!

Vanessa Lam is being/has been discussed in the GP Assignments thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...14-15-season&p=4284641&viewfull=1#post4284641

Amen!

3. peibeck

peibeck Into the void

Yes, Lam skated internationally last season. She was 5th at Finlandia.

4. NMURA

NMURA Active Member

Russia has accepted three US skaters/teams in all disciplines. That is the only country save the US itself. The US side isn't reciprocating at all. I guess some of those "invites" are actually "assignments" paid by the US. In other words, Russia is selling GP spots. (just my guess)

5. peibeck

peibeck Into the void

:lol: More likely the Russian Fed wanted to invite some lower ranked skaters/teams who would not threaten the "home team." ;)

6. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

To be honest while the Russian Ladies and Pairs will be tough the Ice Dancing teams are very beatable and the Men will be lucky to even medal.

7. peibeck

peibeck Into the void

I do concur that the ice dance event at Rostelcom (as it currently is) is actually very exciting and unpredictable. IMO, it's the deepest most interesting dance event across the GP series this year.

We'll see who they trot out for the TBA Russian men's spot before we start the medal discussion.

8. nicklaszlo

nicklaszlo Member

Thinking of Plushenko? Or Fumie Suguri?

Gachinski would be logical.

9. Sylvia

Can we pretty please discuss the non-US GP assignments in the GP thread? I've copied over the posts from here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...14-15-season&p=4285060&viewfull=1#post4285060

ETA - re-posting the 6/27/14 team envelopes press release link: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=50269&type=media
    Envelope Criteria: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=350
    Copying from the press release for posterity (I've added the 2014 Junior/Novice Nationals placements below):
    Kiri Baga's name currently is listed in C (I expect her to be removed).
    Middleton/Evans are currently listed in D (she is no longer listed on IPS so maybe they're still together?).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Sylvia, do you know why Vincent Zhou is not on any of the envelope lists? Is he still on the DL?

11. pairskatingfan

pairskatingfan Active Member

^^ I would also like to know about Vincent's status, is he entered in any competitions? Also what exactly is the point of team D?

12. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I thought Baga retired? No funding for Hannah Miller?

13. Sylvia

Zhou didn't compete at Sectionals last November due to injury and so he didn't fulfill any of the published envelope criteria. I haven't seen his name listed in any summer competitions so far.

I assume it's to reward Juniors placing 4-6 and the top 3 Novices at Nationals with some funding.

Baga's name will likely be removed at some point (like it was from the ISP earlier) - ETA link to the Retirements thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...rements-2014&p=4274434&viewfull=1#post4274434

I addressed Miller earlier here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...14-15-season&p=4284993&viewfull=1#post4284993

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  14. jiejie

jiejie Well-Known Member

Yes, I think Baga did retire. Miller--an excellent skater. I hope she gets put on at least one of the early JGP's or Senior B competitions (therefore into the Reserve Envelope) and can medal, then she'll move into Team C and get some funding for the season. IIRC, she's still age-eligible for JGP though not sure if she wants to skate junior this year, since she'd have to adjust program length, etc.

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Most of the Envelope A-C skaters have Worlds minimums. The following envelope A-C skaters would need to earn them, if applicable:

Team B:
    Anastasia Cannuscio and Colin McManus: Worlds SD (have FD)​

Team C:
    Kiri Baga: Worlds FS (has SP)
    Ashley Shin: Worlds FS (has SP)
    Jordan Moeller: Worlds FS (has SP)
    AnnaMarie Pearche/Jason Pacini: both
    Holly Moore and Daniel Klaber Worlds FD (have SD)
    Anastasia Olson/Ian Lorello​

16. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

IMHO The number of persons on a skater's team has gotten out of hand. Greats of the past got along without all this imo excess personnel.

17. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Brian Orser was known for having an entourage, though it was considered unusual and perhaps excessive at the time.

18. Sylvia

Leng/Shnapir have been added to the Reserve envelope (they received CoR & NHK GP assignments); Lam has not.

19. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Lam's assignment is confirmed on the international competitions page http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216 in the past once added here these assignments are considered official.

20. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Has it been posted that Keegan Messing and Brandon Mroz were removed, and that Alex Johnson and Timothy Dolensky have been added?

21. Sylvia

Mroz was removed from the International Selection Pool (ISP) back in April. Messing, Vincent Zhou, and Nicholas Vrdoljak (J5 at Nationals) were just removed from the ISP, while Leng/Shnapir, Johnson and Dolensky were added. Also newly added to the ISP: the 2 ice dance teams of Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko and Emily Day/Kevin Leahy, plus Rebecca Peng (N3), all of whom are JGP age-eligible.

22. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

23. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

After Skate Detroit, Olivia Allan & Austin Hale and Chelsea Liu & Brian Johnson have been added to the ISP. I wish Gabriella Marvaldi & Cody Dolkiewicz would have been added as well.

24. Sylvia

Gretchen Donlan/Nathan Bartholomay (indicates their partnership is official) and Elliana Pogrebinsky/Alex Benoit were also added to the ISP.

25. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

That makes two of us. :(

26. LilJen

LilJen Reaching out with my hand sensitively

Also mystified as to why Marvaldi/Dolkiewicz weren't added. They competed Novice in June in Fort Wayne--have they not yet passed their Jr pairs test (and simply skated up for this competition)?

27. Sylvia

I was informed Marvaldi/Dolkiewicz passed their Junior Pairs test in June, so that's not why they weren't added to the ISP (ETA: I hope they were given an explanation, at least).

Nicholas Vrdoljak (J5) was removed from the ISP because he will represent Croatia.

The reason why Keegan Messing was removed from the ISP was posted earlier this month: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?92712-Keegan-Messing-to-skate-for-in-Canada

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  28. Arianne

Arianne Member

Why was Mroz removed?

29. Sylvia

My hearsay info is that it was his choice and he may still compete this season.

30. MoreIce

MoreIce Member

Any word on Vincent Zhou? Has he not recovered from his injuries or is he just going in a different direction?