U.S. Stars on Ice & 2014 Worlds recap on NBC, Sunday, April 13

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Sylvia, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

http://www.starsonice.com/news.html?n_id=444
    Time slot is Sunday from 3:00-6:00 pm Eastern (check your local listing).

2. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Thanks for the reminder. I wish I could record it but my cable company dropped NBC and thus I can't set my DVR to record it.

3. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Really??? I thought network channels are always included in the package since they are 'free channels'. What about using rabbit ears to receive reception?

4. Sylvia

Someone usually posts a live stream link to watch NBC online. Anyone?

SOI telecast kicks off with clips from the good ol' glory days of SOI...

D/W, Gold, Wagner, Abbott, Brown are mentioned by Hamilton (broadcast focus will be on the Olympic team bronze medalists, not surprisingly).

D/W's Scheherazade is first program.

ETA:

At least there was a brief clip of Josh Farris being lifted in the guy's group number... Interviews with the 2014 Olympians are going to take away program time, sigh.

Brown's Riverdance is next (first section through 3A was the retake).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  5. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

6. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

I wish more skating were shown instead of interviews. Sigh.

7. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

This group number is good, but Studz remains my favorite SOI male group number.

8. Sylvia

I'm glad the guys' group number was shown at least - Farris deserved some air time for this one!

BTW, the loud cheer from the audience for Gracie's 2A in Let it Go was for her retake. ;)

Keeping track of all the programs shown by NBC so far:
    D&W's Scheherazade
    Brown's Riverdance
    Wagner's Young & Beautiful
    Guys' group number to The Walker! :cheer:
    Navarro/Bommentre's How do you like me now? (glad to see them get the exposure!)
    Abbott's Latch
    Gold's Let it Go
    D/W's Rach. 2
    Finale to Don't Stop Believin'

9. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

We missed group number/N/B/DW2 due to weather report-I guess tornado watch IS more impt....

So many "bronze medalists"-I think D10 would be surprised to hear Jason Brown took his....

Hate lyrics so far. Am forced to turn sound off due to...

Maybe it's gd SOI not in my neck of the woods-would not spend $$$$ to see live...

Oh wow. The end already. Our coverage sucked thanks to weather. Hope yrs is better!

10. Sylvia

So which singles' programs from Worlds will be shown next?

ETA: Tracy Wilson is the NBC rep. in Saitama.

Abbott's FS is first to be shown.

11. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Jason Brown is an Olympic Team Bronze medalist.

I appreciate that NBC showed us some SOI, but I would've liked to see one of Mirai's numbers.

12. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I missed the SOI broadcast. I'm sorry I missed Meryl and Charlie and somehow I knew they wouldn't show Mirai's number. Yet another slight.

I'm so happy it's Weir/Lipinski commenting rather than Hamilton/Bezic for Worlds. I hope they boot Hamilton and Bezic for good but that might just be a dream.

13. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I'm finding myself wanting to tell Johnny and Tara to shut up.

Oh well last televised competition of the year, why should it be any different than the others.

14. Sylvia

This was a SOI infomercial focused on the Olympians, so I don't think Nagasu was singled out to be "slighted." It sounded like Navarro/Bommentre received an especially enthusiastic response from the crowd in Orlando and they may have been chosen for the broadcast for that reason. At least there are decent quality videos of both of Nagasu's SOI programs on YT.

Machida's Firebird is next to be shown.

ETA the 5 men shown by NBC:
    Abbott #14 in FS start order, Machida #19, Hanyu #21, Fernandez #22 & Kozuka #23.

15. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Ah... would have liked to see Mirai and Josh. Really surprised they didn't show Bradley. I guess in was just the World Team that was there plus N/B

16. Sylvia

Yay, Asada's wonderful SP is being shown! :)

Tara Lipinski's comment afterwards: "This [performance] changed my life..."

Polina Edmunds' FS will be next.

ETA:
    Edmunds was #16 in FS start order; Meite (#17 & 16th in FS) was chacked, not surprisingly.
    #18-24 are Wagner, Kostner, Suzuki, Asada, Lipnitskaia, Pogorilaya (ETA: she was chacked), Gold.

17. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I know they are TEAM bronze medalists. They should have been announced as such instead of simply "bronze medalists." Yes? It was two completely different events, team and individual, yes? Yes. Sssnnnnnnaaaarrrrkkkk!!

Again thanks to local weather I'm not seeing much of worlds. I think I give up on skating today.

18. Sylvia

There's an entire (snark) thread in GSD devoted to this topic. ;) Link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?91934-Kaetlyn-Osmond-Olympic-Silver-Medalist

I'm sorry your weather issues have affected your local NBC broadcast.

19. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Nice to see that standing ovation for Mao. :)

20. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I didn't hear them announce an event at all- they just said Olympics. Unless I missed it and they announced Meryl and Charlie as "individual" gold medalists...

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

What a cute smile from Julia in the K&C! I wanted to hug her. (Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm a sentimental slob. :) )

22. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

An athlete who takes home an Olympic bronze medal is an Olympic bronze medalist. Jason, Gracie, Ashley, Marissa & Simon and Jeremy were awarded bronze medals in Sochi. They are therefore unequivocally olympic bronze medalists. I see no reason to try to qualify it to make it something lesser.

23. skatfan

skatfan Well-Known Member

The team medalists will take a while for folks to get used to, so let's just get used to it. Anybody who receives a medal is a medalist, and we know the three colors. Sheesh!

24. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I would have preferred NBC to show a different skater that hasn't been shown yet instead of a second number from D/W.

25. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Like Josh maybe? :(

26. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I wish they had shown some more of the skaters who were not on the Olympic team. I would have rather seen some fresh choreography. Other than Jeremy and Navarro/Bommente, I had seen it all before and done better. Gracie's (I keep wanting to call her Goldie) "Chicago" exhibition number was much more interesting than that "Frozen" number, although I'm not a fan of adults doing Disney numbers period.

27. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

Quite honestly, I was shocked they allowed us to see ANYONE who wasn't on the Olympic team. I expected we would get second Ashley & Gracie programs and was pleasantly surprised.

Gracie's Let It Go is choreographically empty and while I prefer Chicago, I don't think at 18 she's too old for it especially at a show where 50% of the audience was girls under 14.

28. redfiretrees

redfiretrees Figure Skating Fan in the Tropics

I agree, I don't think she's too old to skate to the song too and from what I've read on social media sites a portion of the audience (maybe the teens and younger kids) in most of the venues were singing along to the lyrics during the programs.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  29. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

And if little kids begging their parents to take them to see "Queen Elsa" skate is going to boost ticket sales, go for it.

30. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Was very glad they showed both of D/W's programs. Jason and Ashley were terrific as were NavBoms, and the group number was fun. Josh Farris definitely has "it" as a performer.

I thought Gracie's interpretation of "Let it go" absolutely stunk. Typical plastic Gracie performance with a painted on smile that doesn't relate to the music at all. And when she wiggled her hips and tried to act sexy during the "cold doesn't bother me anyway" lines... Does she actually LISTEN to the music she performs to before she skates to it? This is not a smiley Disney Princess song, its a song of power, angst, and venting. Somewhere, "Adele Dazeem" had to be cringing...:lol::yikes: