U.S. speed skating coach accused of abuse

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by UMBS Go Blue, Sep 15, 2012.

1. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Thought this might be interesting to some:
    http://espn.go.com/olympics/speedsk...edskaters-accuse-coach-jae-su-chun-vast-abuse

2. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

:yikes: That is pretty disgusting behaviour if true.

3. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Oh wow :( If true that is extremely horrid behavior and I hope that the coaches are punished as much as possible.

4. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

5. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

The sabotage thing is unbelievable. I wonder if the ISU will take action.

6. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

they should.. even though Simon has said he feels really bad and others have suggested he was 'brave' for coming forward to admit what he did.. I have mixed feelings :confused:

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

That truly is horrible if true.

8. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

If the sabotage is true and it benefitted the U.S. so they got a medal, then I think it's only right to strip them of their medals and let the next team get it. Sucks to be the rest of the team who didn't do anything but hey, that part is a team sport and you win/lose as a team. I can almost believe that incident is true since one of Canada's top skaters did have a problem with his skate and the team could only use three skaters for that race.
    Here's a
    Canadian article's take on the same

9. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

oh it is true.. trust me.. the kid who did it admitted as such.. but the officials can't say anything yet as its in the legal system..

10. Jem X

Jem X Awaiting Skate America

From what I recall, the U.S. team wasn't in the finals. The U.S. coach had some personal bias against this particular Canadian skater so he ordered the sabotage. I could be mis-remembering this.

11. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Went and did some digging and found this
    So it would seem that Canada still managed to win the gold but the U.S. got bronze with China in the 4 spot. If the U.S. did tamper with the skate of Jean, then they still should be bumped off the podium, medals returned and new ones given to China.

ETA: just watched a video of the race and at the end, I *think* i only saw three Canadian skaters with their helmets covered in some sort of blue cloth to indicate they were participating. If, indeed, they did win with only 3 skaters I'm even more impressed.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  12. sequins

sequins New Member

Actually it happened at the 2011 World Team Championship to Olivier Jean. He noticed at the start line and always suspected sabatoge but couldn't prove it. He said he had a good relationship with the accused coach. Canada finished 3rd( I believe they were the reigning champs) and the U.S. funny enough failed to even qualify for the finals.

13. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Well, he confessed to the sabotage today saying he did it because the coach told him to. He said when he approached the coach about it a month ago, he denied ever telling him to do it...but it was witnessed by another team member. Bad coach for many, many, many reasons.

Now team Canada (and I'm sure other teams) does not leave the room with the skates unattended by a team member.