U.S. Pairs 2014 - News and Updates, Part III

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 18, 2014.

1. sk8fanatic

sk8fanatic New Member

I believe that Caitlin Fields (age eligible) is still training in Montreal and is looking for a partner in both the US and Canada.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Caitlin Fields' birthdate is 9/25/95 so she is ISU Junior age-eligible one more season in 2014-15.

Jessica Pfund and AJ Reiss, 10th in their Senior debut at 2014 Nationals, apparently have split - they are no longer listed in the ISP. He is 22 and she is 16.

3. PairSk8r123

PairSk8r123 New Member

Liu/Perini split after Perini's injury. Liu is now training with Brian Johnson (previously with Aya Takai). As Brian Johnson is still age-eligible, they will probably be in the ISP after a monitoring-event

4. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Oh, Good Lord. This truly is the #1 problem w/ US pairs and I have no opinion on how to fix it. IIRC, Tai Babilonia does ...

5. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Pfund and Reiss were competent, but they weren't heading anywhere amazing based on their results last season. I'm never surprised when the last place team from Nationals splits...or close to last.....not every team has the financial and martyr-like ability to toil away for years in obscurity for the cause of the common good or whatever.

6. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

I think the two teams who finished below them were more interesting and have more upward potential anyway.

And the whole US pairs just need to stay together argument is an oversimplification of why we aren't cracking the top 5ish internationally anymore. And I don't see this split as indicative of some sort of tragic, volatile state of US pairs overall. Its like the entire discipline has been lumped in with Denney/Coughlin and Brubaker drama for the past 3 years. Sometimes splits happen and its fine because people just want to move on like Evora. Sometimes splits happen and more successful pairs are crated a la Scimeca/Knierim and Zhang/Bartholomay.

On a semi-related note, with the rumored split of MT/M and the other confirmed splits and retirements, only 6, at absolute most, of the top 10 pairs at the Olympics will be on the GP. This season will be a key opportunity for US pairs with potential to assert themselves and win some GP silver or bronze medals. It will be interesting to see what teams, if any, can make anything of it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  7. insideedgeua

insideedgeua Member

Has there been any news of Matt Blackmer finding a serious pair partner?

8. kiss-n-cry

kiss-n-cry Team Brown

I just saw Matt Blackmer's twitter post about starting choreo in ten days, but I don't know what that means. Could he be switching to singles (at least for now)?

9. reese

reese Well-Known Member

He has a new partner, he just hasn't announced who yet.

10. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

And in some cases, the split had to happen: David Perini has aged out of Juniors, so it is understandable that Chelsea Liu had to find another partner.

11. Purple Sparkles

Purple Sparkles New Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

WHAT???? What kind of coach tells skaters they can't do a run through? That is just crazy! (And were they told they couldn't do them on their own in practice?)

13. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Why the mystery if Matt Blackmer has found a partner? Doesn't anyone know who she is? :sekret:

14. reese

reese Well-Known Member

My (total hearsay) is that they never do a clean runthrough in training, so it wasn't surprising that they never put them out in competition. I think there were several meetings before they decided to split, and the coaching issue and training strategies were heavily discussed. Perhaps they just didn't think they could make it work or come to an agreement between everyone.

15. insideedgeua

insideedgeua Member

People do know who he is now skating with but when you are close to skaters then you would be outing yourself and perhaps your connections.

Sometimes it is best to remain vague, sorry.

Keep in mind that there are often reasons why skaters don't rush in to making big announcements.

Many things have to be considered with new partnerships. Sometimes these can be things like who is going to move and sometimes things are more complicated. If issues of citizenship etc are at stake then there could be much to sort out before any announcement is made.

Sometimes skaters just want to concentrate on elements and timing so that they can let their skating do the talking.

Frustrating for people waiting to hear I know, but perhaps better for the pair themselves.

Bring on the early competitions.

16. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

:confused: This is bizarre.

17. Sylvia

Well, I assume there is more (another side) to this story. reese posted above: "My (total hearsay) is that they never do a clean runthrough in training..." which sounds like they have done full run throughs.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  18. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

Blackmer's new partner is Kaitlin Budd who he skated with before Brittany. Interesting, I'm not that familar with her. I do think their goals are refreshingly realistic. A summer competition, sectionals, maybe an international.

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/04/28/73658790

19. morqet

morqet Active Member

20. Skittl1321

But full run through might be defined as one where all the elements were completed.

21. Sylvia

Scroll down to the "Re-pair" section: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/04/28/73658790

Glad the news is out on the skaters' terms. ;)
    Budd/Cheban's SP at 2013 JGP SVK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jByYZD8bYCY

Budd/Cheban's FS at 2013 JGP EST: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynMnXwQpzgs

22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

When was the last time the US had a pairs team that started out as youngsters and developed that unison, that "skating as one" quality since Babalonia & Gardner or the Carruthers? Maybe Meno & Sand? Who else?

23. Sylvia

Off the top of my head, I would nominate Kylie Duarte & Colin Grafton, who skated together for 10 or 11 years but ended their partnership before competing (nationally) at the senior level. They had lovely matching lines and unison.

ETA their last public performance together in September 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqT5VM9Dk5M (their extended side-by-side spirals were superb!)

24. legjumper

legjumper Active Member

Meno & Sand didn't start skating together until they were both in their 20s and had each been to the Olympics with different partners.

I think it's unrealistic to expect pairs who were partnered as children to remain together through a senior-level career. There are so many variables that can get in the way, including things that can't be controlled for, such as growth spurts and injuries.

25. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I agree. I loved their look.

There is so much luck involved in pairs when it comes to growing up together. Even if you start young and develop beautiful unison and matching lines, at a certain age (assuming height hasn't become an issue) there is a good chance one partner will be a stronger jumper than the other and that will be clear by novice/junior. All the unison in the world isn't going to get you on a World team if one partner doesn't have the jumps. So childhood partnerships usually don't last because it becomes clear only at ages 13-15 who has potential to become a great pairs skater and then you have to go out into the (small) pool of other promising (partnerless) pairs skaters and try to find the right partner for your elite career. Dance is a little bit different. There are so many teams now that have been together since they were kids. A good coach can develop beautiful matching lines and partnering skills for ice dancers. With no jumps involved, it is easier to stay partnered and grow into a style together.

I think Divette and Ernie Utah Stevens have been a team for 5 years, but I imagine lack of jumps may ultimately end their partnership despite an absolutely lovely look together.

26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Why are US pairs not as good as their Euro and Chinese counterparts, in your opinions? Especially the Chinese, who have grown by leaps and bounds?

orientalplane likes this.
  27. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

Meno & Sand had the unison but I don't think we can say they started out as youngsters when he went to the Olympics and won world bronze with someone else. Castelli & Shnapir, whose biggest weakness is that they lack that Meno & Sand unison and pair look, teamed up younger and at a much earlier stage of their careers (Novice?).

Denney & Frazier competed together when they were very very young before breaking and reteaming. While I don't think they've mastered the oneness you're talking about, I do think they seem very comfortable skating together in a way that is noticeable.

28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

How old were Meno & Sand when they got together?

29. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

About 21 and 29

30. Skittl1321

Aren't most of the top pairs state supported? I think funding and standardized training can make a big difference.