U.S. Pairs 2014 - News and Updates, Part III

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 18, 2014.

1. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Thanks, they were originally scheduled to skate in the Nick La Roche show on the 19th, then their names were gone.

Of course, exhibitions are different from competitions..throws, jumps, etc..Someone just sent me the IN article.

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

All signs point to us currently existing in an alternate universe overall, or at least in a universe with many dimensions, not to mention the fact that everything old is new again, albeit often in a uniquely :eek: :huh: way. I can see it now, FSU Twilight Zone... :yikes:

BTW, it might pay to keep in mind that D/C do have fans, friends and family that care about them, come to think of it, just as do all the skaters! :) Plus D/C were entirely capable of winning back their U.S. title/ making the Olympic team had they been at full strength. Unfortunately for them and their fans, it didn't turn out that way. Tough times tend to build character, especially when you have great character already. Best wishes to John and Caydee.

:lol: Bingo! Just name the skaters and various posters so inclined can line up on different sides and play musical chairs. :p

I wasn't referencing keeping 3 U.S. ladies spots for this year in my earlier post to which you are responding. I also never questioned Polina's talent or ability. BTW, you must live in the universe of crystal-ballers, since you seem to have visions of how high Mirai would have finished at Olympics and Worlds vs Polina's placements. ;) Just a reminder: Mirai also earned the chance to be on Worlds and Olympics teams, but wasn't selected.

Maybe life in an alternate universe inevitably leads to bitching and moaning. :p. In any case, it seems quite a few people were earnestly concerned about clarity, transparency and consistency in the U.S. team selection process, which unfortunately led to reviving some dead horses. Oh well, I'm with you about being excited for the new season, but without getting my hopes too high and just trying to enjoy the best moments as they happen.

Of course, there's bound to be more off-season thunder, along with hopefully fun events and good news before September/ October.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Euros/4CC!

4. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Well.... it is the off season, gotta keep the :drama: :skandal :wuzrobbed :lynch: :EVILLE: alive one way or another.

5. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Thanks!

6. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

BTW, I have been a supporter of D/C from the start when many were tearing them down before they even skated any public programs. ;) Are they the greatest team ever? Hardly, but a lot of people seem to ignore some of their good things (for example their superb twist) to complain about more obvious things ("the lifts, the lifts" - ignoring that they have improved a bit season to season).

Oh well, water under the bridge. They are not competing this season, and I will be surprised if they do come back for 15/16.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  7. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see how Kayne/O'Shea's Moulin Rouge SP compares with Scimeca/Knierim's. They're using different songs, but the overall theme/look may be similar.

8. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Good G-d, no. :scream: So far I am not at all optimistic about the introduction of lyrics.

Much better.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Do you know whether Raad has Jewish ancestry?

10. apollo13

apollo13 Member

IIRC there was "wailing and gnashing of teeth" in 2010 when E/L were selected instead of I/B. There were posters who bemoaned the possibility that the US will be down to one pair in 2011 Worlds, not realizing that Olympic placement has nothing to do with how many pairs go to 2011 Worlds. Posters were predicting that E/L will most likely not make the cut and therefore not be able to skate their FS program. Others said that the combined placement for D/B and E/l will be over 28. And woe to the USFSA for making such a stupid selection.

There was a rumor that I/B was offered the spot to go to Worlds and E/L to the Olympics. But I/B turned it down,

11. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

One song is a tango, the other is a love song. They're both forceful songs, but one is fiery and the other is romantic/gentler, I guess you could say. Evora & Ladwig skated an exhibition program to "Your Song", and I don't remember its theme reminding me at all of a "Tango de Roxanne" program. I consider them pretty different songs.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  12. clairecloutier

Ah, I see, thanks for pointing that out.

Peter Murray reported on Facebook that word is, Felicia Zhang may be retiring from competitive skating. (Sorry, not sure if this has been posted yet.)

13. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

I've always found the Moulin Rouge Your Song a bit OTT dramatic. I think they'll need to skate big and with dramatic flair to not get overpowered by it. But I'm optimistic they (she especially) can and will bring it.

The FS is just gorgeous music. I'm excited to see what they do with it.

14. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Active Member

AFAIK, yes.

15. Meteorlight

Meteorlight Active Member

Smh on Moulin Rouge, but I think Spartacus would be great for them! She can really sell the dramatic, epic ballet themes judging by their Don Q from last season. I also like that they both seem to be fairly consistent jumpers (rare but appreciated).

Anyway, crazy how much the US pairs landscape's changed in just a couple of short months! Z/B break-up is especially shocking :eek:. Mixed feelings on the Castelli/Tran pairing - love both of them as skaters (esp. Tran), but hopefully personal issues won't plague this pairing as it did C/S. Heard about some bts shenanigans between C/S (more her) from a NBC friend who was in Sochi that has me a bit worried for Mervin. Cautiously optimistic for now.

Oh well, S/K, K/O and D/F were actually my faves from last season anyway, so it's good at least none of them have split (yet :EVILLE:).

16. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I have a fun non-partner-split tidbit about a U.S. pair. :) Alex Shaughnessy and Jimmy Morgan, who train at SCOB, are on the cover of my new book, Crossing the Ice! I was in desperate need of a photo of a couple wearing quality figure skates, and they awesomely volunteered to pose as my models. :) I'm so excited to have a championship-level pair on my book!

ioana, Garden Kitty, kwanette and 3 others like this.
  17. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

Oh come on, please spill! Don't leave us hanging!!!

18. OrioleBeagle

deleted

19. OrioleBeagle

What does bts mean?

20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

behind the scenes? just guessing.

21. jlmart

jlmart Active Member

between the sheets?

22. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

Sheets. What happens in Sochi should stay in Sochi, though.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  23. aftershocks

Hearsay and gossip mysteriously thrown out with a wink and a smirk and an oh well. If you were there and actually witnessed something that has any relevance then speak up about it Meteorlight, otherwise you may as well keep unsubstantiated negative "bts" speculative gossip and supposition to yourself.

It's certainly not a secret that C/S had problems getting along with each other during their partnership. They are both Leos, both born on August 20. With such strong personalities, I doubt it's unusual to butt heads in a pairs partnership. That's why it is a tribute to both of them that they stayed together as long as they did and accomplished major goals.

24. clairecloutier

I agree ... It doesn't feel right to indulge in negative unsubstantiated rumors about skaters' personal lives. And it doesn't matter anyway, unless it affects the skating.

25. blancanieves

blancanieves Active Member

I'm rooting for K/O so hopefully their programs will turn out well. I just wish they would have chosen a different version of "Your Song." Ewan is an interesting actor, but I don't think he's a good singer.

26. Meteorlight

Meteorlight Active Member

Oy, sorry you saw what I said as speculative gossip and supposition, and you are more than free to think so. I merely made a mention about the C/S relationship to explain my PERSONAL reservations and hopes for this new pair C/T, who I truly hope will do well. I thought C/S' problems were fairly well-known so didn't even mean for this to come off negative, only that I hope the same issues don't surface in C/T. I DO give Simon and Marissa a lot of credit for maintaining their partnership despite all the personal conflicts, but that doesn't mean I can't voice my opinion and hopes that she and Mervin's partnership can be different and won't have to come down to putting up with each other for the sake of the partnership.

My source is a long-time and trusted friend who works at nbc sports, so FOR ME, this friend's observations and impressions are NOT hearsay and hold weight. I'm not asking anyone else to feel the same, nor do I expect them to. I really didn't want to get into details, but in the interest of this not getting blown out of proportion, what I've heard is basically confirmation for what most people know - that the C/S partnership was quite rocky on a personal level. I mentioned to my friend a few weeks ago about all the figure skating breakups, and when they heard about C/S, their immediate response was (and I quote) "oh I could've told you that," then explained that C/S were both very ostensibly giving each other attitude in Sochi bts (yes behind the scenes), to the point that had many nbc staffers raising eyebrows and talking about them amongst each other. However, I was also told the attitude was more severe from her side, and that C/S did an interview during which he tried to be nice and funny and she was basically shooting down everything he was saying - it was really uncomfortable for everyone involved (don't think they ever aired the interview). My friend came away with a really bad impression of Marissa, though a surprisingly good one of Simon despite admitting he was giving attitude back too (I think the nbc people felt really sorry for him).

Anyway, I actually don't see most of that as a huge deal (which was why I didn't want to get into the nitty gritty). To me, they both seem like good and obviously dedicated people, but their personalities just didn't mesh. They were at the Olympics - stress levels were running at an all-time high for them, combined with a not-super-great personal relationship, things were bound to get testy. It's understandable. I was still surprised though at finding out how public they were about it, which is why I voiced my hopes that her new partnership doesn't go in the same direction. Sorry if it came off as assigning blame or speculating that C/T will go down the same path as C/S (we have no idea of knowing that - I'm just hoping not!), definitely wasn't my intent.

In other news, I can confirm everybody truly DOES adore the Shibs, and both D/W and V/M are super nice (also Tessa is really shy/reserved at first but is great once she has more time to warm up to you).

Garden Kitty, alilou, danafan and 3 others like this.
  27. aftershocks

^^ Still hearsay and speculative gossip, and it's not news that C/S have had problems getting along. Both of them have been up front and honest about their difficult relationship. Neither you nor your sources know the details of what was specifically going on between the two in Sochi "bts." It could have been a major or minor disagreement about anything. It makes absolutely no difference to anything at the moment. Plus various people's "impressions" are not always valid indicators of a person's character. Whatever was going on between C/S "bts", it did not adversely affect their performances on the ice. So, if the Sochi interview to which you refer never aired and C/S are now split up, it's all water under the bridge. Plus, there's absolutely no correlation nor relevance to thinking C/S former relationship will have any bearing whatsoever on their new partnerships.

Who the media adore among the skaters is NOT news, btw. None of the skaters are hothouse flowers. Many diehard figure skating fans know a lot more about these skaters' careers and personalities than most of the media do in any case.

In your response, you seem to dissemble quite a bit, as you pass on a rumor here, and a wink there, in the process of seemingly trying to throw dirt on Marissa Castelli.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  28. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Seems a bit harsh to me. This board is made up of a lot of speculation and innuendo. A lot of it wrong, having been an insider, but still entertaining. My DD took her share of knocks here but for the most part I still find it a fun source of figure skating information and I don't see any harm in Meteorlight passing along what a friend she trusts told her.

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

aftershocks is not SHARPIE, so while she may be posting so that other people feel ashamed and/or change their behavior, it's only her opinion and hardly gospel.

30. aftershocks

^^ Nothing on FSU comes close to being gospel kwanfan1818. :p Plus, you are wrong in your impression that I post that other people should feel ashamed or change their behavior. I'm sharing my opinions, but I don't think anyone has to abide by them. Funny that you get that impression. Everyone can hold their opinions about particular skaters and figure skating, and maintain their behaviors on FSU till they die. It has no huge bearing on much of anything but spur of the moment chatter. Sometimes negative stuff might bother or hurt those involved if it begins to take on a life of its own within the larger skating community. But once again, FSU is not gospel, and stuff mucked about here is probably taken by many who come here with a huge grain of salt.

^^ Thanks for sharing your take, yfbg722. :)

Nice of Meteorlight to spread this particular speculation and innuendo in more detail. I'm certain many people in the skating world get a huge laugh out of reading many of the comments on FSU.

In this case though, there is no significant information about anything. And absolutely no way of knowing who was the "bad guy/girl" in the C/S relationship. As far as we know, C/S have equally owned up to having a difficult relationship and have never publicly thrown any specific vitriol or blame the other's way. Is Meteorlight's friend from NBC all that knowledgeable about figure skating I wonder, and was her friend aware before the Olympics that C/S did not get along? It's not news.

I would also question why Meteorlight has any reason to think Marissa's new partnership might "go in the same direction," simply because her friend at NBC came away with a "bad impression" of Marissa. I've been in the presence of both Marissa and Simon before and came away with a very good impression of both of them.