U.S. Pairs 2014 - News and Updates, Part III

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Josh78

Josh78 Active Member

Visaliakid has it right...I have heard the same rumor about Z/B, but NOTHING has been confirmed yet...

2. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

From my same source as before... hearing that apparently. .. Nathan just had a private tryout with Gretchen Donlan.

3. CassAgain

CassAgain Well-Known Member

To laugh or to cry or to roll one's eyes or to hit oneself over the head with a bat.

tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  4. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Whatever happens, I hope Gretchen finds the right partner.

5. Josh78

Josh78 Active Member

I can also confirm hearing Visaliakid's private tryout report

6. OrioleBeagle

I guess we won't be seeing any YouTube videos of this tryout! :lol:

7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Clearly wasn't that private...

8. OrioleBeagle

Was the tryout in Boston or Florida?

9. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I'm a fan, but would be not shocked at all at Z&B splitting.

They skated as well as they possibly could last season considering their limited experience level, but they got almost no support and got nit picked left and right for not being a perfect, textbook team right at that moment, while Simon Shnapir got patted on the back for just making it past the Olympics and waiting until Worlds to completely implode like usual.

I would not be surprised at all if Nathan felt he could go farther with a more :glamor: partner, even if she's more inconsistent with the jumps.

eta: Or Zhang feeling she could go farther with a stronger guy.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  10. Josh78

Josh78 Active Member

I just heard that felicia has been seen skating with Daniel Raad

11. fan

fan Well-Known Member

montalbano just moved to florida to skate with raad

Dramahkween and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

Another report now that Felicia has been seen skating with Daniel Raad.

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

While Z/B got two guaranteed GP spots because of the splits, they placed 14th at Worlds and don't qualify as returning split couples with any new partners for this season or next (were they not to compete internationally this season), at least under last year's rules. I don't know what USFS policy would be to add any new partnerships to ISP (or not) so that they can get experience/minimum scores for next season.

If the split team has GP assignments, among the US teams Aaron/Settlage have no GPs and qualify for GP selection from the Top Five alternates group. Callalang/Sidhu should from Coupe de Nice, under the same provision that Carriere, Bush, Lam, and Artemieva got assignments.

14. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

Wow wasn't expecting this split so late in the game. They committed to skate in Sun Valley weeks ago and obviously were in the GP pool- wonder what happened that caused this change of course.

They were my pick to win Nationals- S/K obviously have bigger potential as is often discussed here but Z/B seemed to be calm competitors who could just go out and do their thing, do it well and enjoy themselves, even if their skating wasn't as big or exciting.

15. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Wow that would be a surprise if Z&B split just as the new season is really getting started.

Best of luck to everyone and hopefully it all works out ok.

16. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I wonder if Felicia Zhang and LeDuc would be an option.

17. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I hope this isn't true.. I enjoyed Z/B!! They hadn't been together that long either. If Montalbano just moved to Florida to skate with Raad, and now he's with Felicia, that's drama, lol.

18. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:eek: Split-itis strikes again ... Jeez, what about Taylor Toth coming back into the picture somehow!? (He was Zhang's former partner many moons ago ... hard to keep up with who has been partners, or is partnering with whom these days). :duh:

Hopefully everything will work out for the best for all involved, and soon! :drama:

19. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Well that's my second new discovery down the drain if true about Z/B. I loved their Les Mis program last year. They really stood out for me at the Detroit competition. Seems like me liking a team is bad luck!

20. aftershocks

^^ Join the club, yfbg722, I guess. :(

21. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

With my sources in Florida and now this speculation -- I'm pretty sure Z/B are done. Felicia has been MIA in all the group photos Jim Peterson has been posting for the 2014/2015 season. Nathan is in them, but he's alone. I asked someone who skates in Florida if they were still together and she didn't say yes and she didn't say no. Kayne/O'Shea have not split.

22. aftershocks

^^ Thanks ryanbfan for the additional info. I hope it was a mutual decision. I also wonder whether with all the other splits in fs splitsville, they simply decided to take their chances in seeking a fresh start to see how much farther they could go/ improve with new partners.

23. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

No problem. I don't know much else but I think they've been split up for awhile now.

24. kiss-n-cry

kiss-n-cry Team Brown

I also feel like I am a jinx on these pair teams. My favorites were Donlan and Speroff and I was crushed when they split. I was very impressed with Z/B after Nationals. They seemed like such a solid team, and I am very shocked by this possible split. I also really liked Leng and Leduc; I think he has enormous potential with the right partner and I will be very sad is he is left partnerless again.

I feel like I should crawl under a rock and come back out right before the GP series starts.

25. aftershocks

This news reminds me of all the Z/B "small elements" bellyaching and wondering about whether they felt dissed not being assigned to SA. No matter, water under the bridge now, but hopefully fan dissing had nothing to do with their decision to part ways. Perhaps it was more based on assessing their Worlds results and the current landscape of fs splitsville.

Anyways, thanks for the memories Z/B:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnkV-2-E8no

26. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

Thank heavens my favorites Kayne & O'Shea and Scimeca & Knierim are not splitsville. The Z&B news makes me wish USFS had sent D&C to the Olympics though. USFS invested in Z&B for the future by sending them.....looks like that investment will not pay off unfortunately.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  27. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Frankly speaking, why would any strong male pair skater want to team up with Gretchen Donlan? No matter how exquisite her lines, or how elegant her expressions, the girl cannot jump. She never could, even as a singles skater.

Stephanie and (deleted member) like this.
  28. casken

casken Well-Known Member

The USFSA knocked Z&B off the world team for D&C for no reason. The USFSA weren't that invested in Z&B to start with.

29. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Thank goodness! I am nuts about this team and have high hopes for them.

I'm sorry to hear about Z/B, though, as I found them quite charming. Not the most powerful pair but they had a verve about them that made their skating enjoyable.

30. aftershocks

Really? It seems to me that Z/B worked hard and skated the performance of their lives to win and to deserve a spot on the Olympic team. What with all the drama in the ladies' team selection, USFS likely hedged their bets in letting the pairs results on the ice stand for the Olympic team selection, while rewarding D/C with Worlds (which D/C were unable to ultimately attend). Seems to me that skaters generally invest in themselves, more than USFS "invests" in them for a team position they actually deserve. The investment and effort that Z/B put out was paid through their Nationals performance and paid when they experienced their unforgettable Olympic moments on the ice competing for their country, and walking into the Olympic stadium during the Opening ceremony.

With your "pay-off" scenario, USFS should seemingly also be fretting about having "invested" in the Marissa Castelli/ Simon Shnapir partnership at the Olympics. I would think that instead USFS is looking to the bright future of U.S. pairs, rather than bemoaning "investments" and "pay-offs" ... Jeez, with that thinking you might as well look at the history of figure skating and come up with an account statement!

Wow, what an indictment. Hope Gretchen finds a way for you to eat your words. Even if she isn't able to improve her jumps, she is a beautiful skater on the ice and is worthy of admiration and support, not belittling.

JamieElena and (deleted member) like this.