U.S. Pairs 2014 - News and Updates, Part III

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 18, 2014.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^Well apparently something clicked for Mervin and Marissa so they are both lucky. Like many here, I've enjoyed watching both of them perform on the ice, but never thought about the two of them partnering (perhaps because of different country affiliations). So glad there are so many more global partnering-up because it only enriches the sport and brings fs more into the present. The sport has always needed to learn how to gain inspiration and knowledge from the past and meld it into new and different approaches that invigorate and lend excitement and growth for the skating world today.

Very interesting how the whole process of two people clicking or not clicking works. It's about more than physically matching up. Personalities, styles, rhythms as well as ability levels and personal goals are involved. Someone should write a book on the topic:
    To Pair or Not to Pair? Questions Asked and Answered or, Perks of Pairing Well, Despair of Split Decisions

Seemingly Marissa has decided to make a break with Boston (and that can't have been an easy decision -- Carrie Wall was Marissa's coach prior to the teaming with Simon, after which Carrie and Bobbie Martin paired up to coach together).

I wish all the new teams and staying together teams much success on the next stage of their journeys. I am very intrigued to see how things work out for Simon and Dee Dee (they seem to have made a fast and comfortable start), and especially for Marissa and Mervin. Also as well for Aliona and Bruno, and for Dylan and Lubov. Of course two of these new teams must sit out for awhile, but that could also work for them too.

I hope we get unique and interesting choices in music and choreography with all these partner changes. Certainly there should be new influences, inspiration and excitement for the pairs discipline over the next quad.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Her last competition for ISR was 12 Feb 2014 (Olympics Pairs FS).

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I hope Timothy Le Duc also finds a new partner soon, and one that will stick so they can grow together. It would be great if there was a timeout for having no splits so that good partnerships might have more chance to develop. It's reminiscent of announcements for a new television season, when it's unclear how long new series will last, or if they will even be given a chance to succeed if they don't break well out of the starting gate.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

In the meantime, per the link in this post by fan, Montalbano has a gofundme page to raise $20K to relocate to Ellerton to skate with an unnamed partner to compete for Israel. So all three (Krasnopolski and whoever, Davidovich and Siliecky, and Montalbano and partner) won't be fighting it out for the Israel pairs spot.

5. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

A skater has a GoFundMe page?

6. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

But another poster said above that Davidovich and Silecky are skating for the US..

7. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Which is why kwanfan1818 wrote that the three teams won't be fighting for the same spot.

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Yes: by skating for the US, there *won'*t be three couples vying for the Israeli Pairs spot. Montalbano and partner won't have to worry about competition from Davidovich and Silecky if they skate for the US.

(oops, typing slowly on a phone while danafan posted)

9. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Ack, sorry, somehow missed the "won't" part.

10. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Member

Montalbano is still skating for Israel so there will still be 2 couples. Not sure if Evgeny's new partner is old enough to compete internationally (right now she's 14).

*oops missed the post above. Sorry

11. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Noticed that the text says payment is tax-deductible, but the "Donate" link says the payment will "go directly to this person"...

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I am surprised that Davidovich and Silecky aren't going to represent Israel.

What are Matej Silecky's previous national results?

13. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Silecky has yet to qualify for Nationals in singles or pairs (novice level or higher), though he has landed 3A in the past, IIRC. He is attending college at Univ. of California at Berkeley and competes for his team there: http://calfigureskating.weebly.com/matej-silecky.html

ETA:
    Pearce/Silecky Jr. Pairs FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS3VGVRzYvw

I noticed that one new junior pair (Olivia Allan/Austin Hale) and one new novice pair (Ashlyn Olson/Stanley Mackey) debuted at the Ann Arbor club competition last month. Olivia Allan competed in Novice Ladies at Midwestern Sectionals last fall and Austin Hale was the 2013 Intermediate Pairs champ with Alicia Bertsch.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  14. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I know. I just didn't know GoFundMe raised funds for athletes.

15. Robin26

Robin26 Member

Yes it raises funds for anything. I am sure federations have tax ids !

16. Robin26

Robin26 Member

Perfectly said Ziggy.

17. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Member

18. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Curious set up though on the crowd funding page though - it can't be tax-deductible in the US if it goes directly to the skater, can it? And, this isn't set up to go to the Fed - or if it is, it certainly isn't clear about the tax ID, etc. so a contributor can't really be sure who is getting what or if it is tax deductible. Maybe it's a limitation of the web page?

19. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Member

Through the website it goes to the individual. The amounts are tracked and then transferred to the fed but earmarked for the particular skater who raised the funds. There is a letter that is sent out with language stating that it represents a receipt for tax purposes. It includes the fed's Tax ID and states that no goods or services have been provided in consideration of the donation. (I know this because I have previously donated)

20. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

I agree with Ziggy. Either USFS needs to fund more than 50% of top prospects' costs, or it needs to change its release policy. The few grand in envelope funding and airfare and hotel to competitions is a drop in the bucket that certainly does not warrant stifling these kids' careers.

21. Sylvia

I've copied all the pertinent Montalbano-related posts from this thread into the crowd funding thread in GSD: Skaters on crowd funding websites?

GSD thread started on the new partnership of Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran, now official (includes article): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?92491-Castelli-and-Tran-official

Scimeca/Knierim's June 7 journal entry (Scimeca turned 23 today): http://figureskatersonline.com/scimeca-knierim/where-have-we-been/

ETA what I posted in the Castelli/Tran thread: IMO, the more competitive pairs in the U.S. the better! Bring 'em on! :cheer:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  22. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

It seems they are really clicking w/ Julie Marcotte. I also found this quote interesting:

I wonder what that means. They have explosive throw jumps and triple twist, so maybe that means more speed across the ice?

23. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Thanks for the info!

24. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Member

You're welcome! :)

25. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Member

From Danielle Montalbano's Facebook page....Hopefully an official announcement isn't far behind?:cheer2:

"I have had a long 2 years, ups and downs.. (more ups) I wasn't sure I was going to be able to continue doing what I love, with injuries, emotions, finances.. then came a decision. I'm glad to say my ankle is 100% healed, my mind is strong and I have a few more dreams to fulfill and plenty of hard work and fighting spirits left in my mind, body and soul. On July 7th I will move to Florida to start the next chapter of my amazing journey, which will be in pairs once again. thank you to my amazing family and boyfriend for supporting me through everything!"

ETA: Sylvia, if there is a more relevant thread, please feel free to move this :)

26. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Dramahkween, posting that in the US pairs thread you hint Montalbano will finally represent USA?

27. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Member

No, she will continue to skate for Israel. Davidovich is the one who switched federations (and her name back to Andrea). If you read my edit at the bottom I told Sylvia to move it to a more pertinent thread if she saw fit.

28. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

But, it probably could stay here too at this point, since it seems VERY likely Montalbano will skate with a guy who is switching federations from the US to Israel. Just like a team trade, LOL!

29. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Member

Well it's not the only "team trade" happening this off-season lol Tran is onto his third fed...Hope that Skate Canada doesn't give him too hard of a time!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  30. Sylvia

I can't; I'm not a mod. here. ;) I suggest you use the OES News thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?92394-OES-News-2014-15-Season

That sounds plausible to me.