U.S. Pairs 2014 - News and Updates, Part III

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 18, 2014.

1. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Noticed that the text says payment is tax-deductible, but the "Donate" link says the payment will "go directly to this person"...
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I am surprised that Davidovich and Silecky aren't going to represent Israel.

What are Matej Silecky's previous national results?
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Silecky has yet to qualify for Nationals in singles or pairs (novice level or higher), though he has landed 3A in the past, IIRC. He is attending college at Univ. of California at Berkeley and competes for his team there: http://calfigureskating.weebly.com/matej-silecky.html

ETA:
    Pearce/Silecky Jr. Pairs FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS3VGVRzYvw

I noticed that one new junior pair (Olivia Allan/Austin Hale) and one new novice pair (Ashlyn Olson/Stanley Mackey) debuted at the Ann Arbor club competition last month. Olivia Allan competed in Novice Ladies at Midwestern Sectionals last fall and Austin Hale was the 2013 Intermediate Pairs champ with Alicia Bertsch.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  4. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I know. I just didn't know GoFundMe raised funds for athletes.
  5. Robin26

Robin26 Member

Yes it raises funds for anything. I am sure federations have tax ids !
  6. Robin26

Robin26 Member

Perfectly said Ziggy.
  7. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Member

8. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Curious set up though on the crowd funding page though - it can't be tax-deductible in the US if it goes directly to the skater, can it? And, this isn't set up to go to the Fed - or if it is, it certainly isn't clear about the tax ID, etc. so a contributor can't really be sure who is getting what or if it is tax deductible. Maybe it's a limitation of the web page?
  9. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Member

Through the website it goes to the individual. The amounts are tracked and then transferred to the fed but earmarked for the particular skater who raised the funds. There is a letter that is sent out with language stating that it represents a receipt for tax purposes. It includes the fed's Tax ID and states that no goods or services have been provided in consideration of the donation. (I know this because I have previously donated)
  10. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

I agree with Ziggy. Either USFS needs to fund more than 50% of top prospects' costs, or it needs to change its release policy. The few grand in envelope funding and airfare and hotel to competitions is a drop in the bucket that certainly does not warrant stifling these kids' careers.
  11. Sylvia

I've copied all the pertinent Montalbano-related posts from this thread into the crowd funding thread in GSD: Skaters on crowd funding websites?

GSD thread started on the new partnership of Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran, now official (includes article): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?92491-Castelli-and-Tran-official

Scimeca/Knierim's June 7 journal entry (Scimeca turned 23 today): http://figureskatersonline.com/scimeca-knierim/where-have-we-been/

ETA what I posted in the Castelli/Tran thread: IMO, the more competitive pairs in the U.S. the better! Bring 'em on! :cheer:
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  12. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

It seems they are really clicking w/ Julie Marcotte. I also found this quote interesting:

I wonder what that means. They have explosive throw jumps and triple twist, so maybe that means more speed across the ice?
  13. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Thanks for the info!
  14. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Member

You're welcome! :)
  15. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Member

From Danielle Montalbano's Facebook page....Hopefully an official announcement isn't far behind?:cheer2:

"I have had a long 2 years, ups and downs.. (more ups) I wasn't sure I was going to be able to continue doing what I love, with injuries, emotions, finances.. then came a decision. I'm glad to say my ankle is 100% healed, my mind is strong and I have a few more dreams to fulfill and plenty of hard work and fighting spirits left in my mind, body and soul. On July 7th I will move to Florida to start the next chapter of my amazing journey, which will be in pairs once again. thank you to my amazing family and boyfriend for supporting me through everything!"

ETA: Sylvia, if there is a more relevant thread, please feel free to move this :)
  16. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Dramahkween, posting that in the US pairs thread you hint Montalbano will finally represent USA?
  17. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Member

No, she will continue to skate for Israel. Davidovich is the one who switched federations (and her name back to Andrea). If you read my edit at the bottom I told Sylvia to move it to a more pertinent thread if she saw fit.
  18. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

But, it probably could stay here too at this point, since it seems VERY likely Montalbano will skate with a guy who is switching federations from the US to Israel. Just like a team trade, LOL!
  19. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Member

Well it's not the only "team trade" happening this off-season lol Tran is onto his third fed...Hope that Skate Canada doesn't give him too hard of a time!
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  20. Sylvia

I can't; I'm not a mod. here. ;) I suggest you use the OES News thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?92394-OES-News-2014-15-Season

That sounds plausible to me.
  21. Dramahkween

Dramahkween Member

Thanks for pointing me to that thread, Sylvia! :)
  22. Sylvia

You're welcome.

Re-posting from another thread:
    Great, thanks! Here's the info on the camp: http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=516
  23. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Deleted
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Dramahkween and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Sylvia

Was it really necessary to bring those comments over here? :rolleyes: Chances are the original poster won't see your response here anyway - you could just send a PM. Oh well, too late.

ETA: I guess it wasn't too late. :p Thank you for removing your post above, aftershocks.
  25. aftershocks

You're right, Sylvia. I only noticed your comment in the other thread after I'd posted here already. Yes, I guess sometimes it pays to just shake one's head and skip it. I will delete here. We all make mistakes sometimes and have errors in perception/ misjudgements.

I think the OT comments in the other thread are off-base and uncalled for, but yeah no need to highlight them in this thread.
  26. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

Has anyone heard yet if Denney/Couglin are competing next season?
  27. insideedgeua

insideedgeua Member

28. pairskatingfan

pairskatingfan New Member

^^ Interesting!!
  29. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Chiming in just a bit late with observations from pairs camp. I will apologize up front for having NO DIRT WHATSOEVER on the top teams. Sorry, folks! I was there for just the FS competitions on Saturday morning, and this was small--4 juv pairs, 2 intermediate pairs, 4 novice pairs, and 1 junior pair. Other teams skated their SPs on Friday night. It looked like the rest of the weekend consisted of a LOT of monitoring sessions for individual teams, plus some lectures/education on nutrition, fitness, and such. I only saw two senior pairs teams signed up for camp--De La Mora/Wilson and another pair (whose names I have forgotten--not a top team).

ANYWAY, even though I didn't get to watch top teams like I did last year, I saw some great skills and potential.
    Juv pairs: Such a mixed bag! The guys in particular varied SO much in physical maturity and the tinier sprouts had trouble with lifts. Nice presentation from Kristin Lyle George/Jake Pagano and Katherina Frantz/Nicolas Frantz (and I have heard that the latter pair will be moving to Fort Wayne to work with the EXCELLENT team of our skating director Alena Lunin and her husband Sasha Lunin.
    Int pairs: My only note was that the team of Carlie Quesada/Adrian Shin skated to Phantom :(
    Novice pairs: Fun to see overhead lifts, which I think are disallowed at the lower levels?
    Notable moments/elements:
    -A BIG throw 2loop from Remi Bennett/Jacob Nussle and he has a lovely spread eagle (used it as they entered the death spiral and in their choreo sequence).
    -Darbie Burke/Griffin Schwab: Darbie is just the most adorable thing ever, as I'd noticed last year. I don't remember who her partner was last year but she also stood out as a skater with LOTS of joy, good skating skills, and good presentation. Dunno about her partner, but she's definitely one to watch. Also this pair was already incorporating some interesting transitions and entries into elements.
    -Ashlyn Olson/Stanley Mackey: did an Addams Family program. They seemed to really struggle with lifts, most likely because he's on the small side (seemed to be in that stage where boys grow up a lot but not out and are waiting for that muscle buildup of later adolescence).
    -Gabriella Marvaldi/Cody Dolkiewicz: A GREAT pairing. They're very well matched, especially in terms of presentation--he 'brings it' as much as she does. Pulled off SBS 2z and 2loop-2t combo. One to watch for the future, for sure.
    Jr Pairs was represented by Linde LaChance/Kenneth Anderson, who did a Romeo and Juliet LP. All I wrote down was "nice death spiral" and that they'd done a 1-arm lift (got up there with 2 arms and then transferred to a 1-arm).
  30. Sylvia

Thank you, LilJen! :) The other pair was Alexandria Shaughnessy/James Morgan (12th in Senior at Nationals in Boston). He tweeted this past weekend about attending the camp. Taylor Wilson recently tweeted that he and Brianna de la Mora passed their Senior test, which means they intend to move up this season.

Burke has skated with Schwab for many years now (back to at least 2009). They've medaled previously at Nationals at the Juvenile/Intermediate levels but placed 5th in Novice Pairs at Easterns last year, just missing Nationals. I believe she is around 13 and he 17 now?

For those who might not know, Gabriella is the daughter of Isabelle Brasseur and Rocky Marval(di). Marvaldi/Dolkiewicz placed 8th in Novice in Boston and are ISU Junior (JGP) age-eligible this season, but would likely have to move up to Junior if they want to be considered for the ISP.

ETA on 6/17 that I've been informed that Marvaldi/Dolkiewicz tested up to Junior at the pairs camp and plan to compete Junior this season. They won both the Novice SP & FS in Fort Wayne.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  31. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Wow, I would never have thought Burke was 13. She's SO tiny! Let's hope she'll keep her skills as she grows.

Many people at my rink didn't know Gabriella Marvaldi was "skating royalty" but I straightened them out. :) Her dad was listed as their coach.
  32. Sylvia

Denney/Coughlin announced today they will not compete this year - link to news thread with press release link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?92577-Denney-and-Coughlin-to-Sit-Out-2014-15-Season

Daniel Raad (who formerly skated pairs with Haven Denney at Novice/Junior) has teamed with Danielle Montalbano to skate for ISR: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...14-15-Season&p=4280939&viewfull=1#post4280939

GP-eligible & listed in USFS' International Selection Pool:
    Felicia Zhang & Nathan Bartholomay
    Alexa Scimeca & Christopher Knierim
    Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier
    Tarah Kayne & Daniel O'Shea
    Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage
    Jessica Noelle Calalang & Zack Sidhu

NEW (not yet listed in ISP) - at least one partner has competed internationally before:
    DeeDee Leng & Simon Shnapir
    Marissa Castelli & Mervin Tran - registered to compete SP at Quebec comp., Aug. 7-10
    Kaitlin Budd & Matthew Blackmer
    Britney Simpson & Matthew Penasse
    Anya Davidovich & Matej Silecky (hearsay)

JGP-eligible & listed in ISP:
    Cirinia Gillett & Maximiliano Fernandez N2
    Jessica Lee & Robert Hennings N3
    Lindsay Weinstein & Jacob Simon N4
    NEW: Chelsea Liu & Brian Johnson (not yet listed in ISP)

ETA another JGP age-eligible pair:
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  33. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Great news for Marvaldi/Dolkiewicz. They really seemed to be a big step ahead of the other novice teams in terms of skating skills/presentation.
  34. aftershocks

^^ Why did they place behind so many of the novice teams at Nationals in January? Just bad draws?
  35. Sylvia

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  36. aftershocks

Thanks. I thought they looked good at Nationals, but early skating draws didn't help them in the scoring.

Yes, being already good together, they surely have continued to get better.
  37. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

With Denney & Coughlin sitting out the upcoming season, my bets on a couple of my favorites rising to the TOP! Namely Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage, as well as Britney Simpson & Matthew Penasse. I have to be honest, I'm more excited about Britney & Matthew than anybody else, and am sooooo happy they're competing for the USA! :cool: I think they look absolutely FAB together, and hats off to Britney for finding such a tall partner (6'3") to match her 5'3". :hat1:

Also I totally expect Scimeca & Knierim to capture their first National Title, they're AWESOME!!!!

ps: hmmm, has Gretchen Donlan found a partner yet?
  38. aftershocks

Gabriella looks a great deal like her Mom. Is she called Gabby, Ella, or Brie for short, do you know? Both parents were with her and her partner in the kiss 'n cry along with someone else who looked like a relative (her sister?)

With a very good partner and coaching by her parents, they should do well. I think it's good though that a lot of people don't make the "skating royalty" connection. Allow her and her partner to make their own buzz. :)
  39. PairSk8r123

PairSk8r123 New Member

Do Matkin/Highgate-Brutman (N6) plan on staying in Novice or moving up to Junior? Aren't they also age-eligible? Also, same question goes for McDougal/Schatz (J10); are they moving up to Senior or staying in Junior?
  40. Sylvia

Yes, Matkin/Highgate-Brutman are JGP age-eligible but I don't know their plans yet. McDougal/Schatz (he is ISU Junior age-ineligible) registered in Junior for an early season club competition in Florida but ended up not competing.

Junior to Juvenile pairs scores from early season club competition results published online so far: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/current-pairs-scores/