U.S Nationals mens winner

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Nov 15, 2010.

?

2010 U.S Nationals mens winner

1. Abbott wins 3rd title

68.5%
  2. Rippon wins 1st title

19.7%
  3. Mroz wins 1st title

3.9%
  4. Lysacek surprises many by returning and then performs well enough and wins 4th title

3.9%
  5. other

3.9%
  1. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

My "standard" is pretty simple. In order to hover around the Worlds podium for years, you actually have to be participating in the event for years. No coulda/shoulda/woulda.

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Abbott - If he delivers competent performances, I think US judges will give him his 3d title. So far, he's started out well - 2d at NHK to Dai. He looks well-paced and more consistent thus far

Rippon - Starting w/ the JPN Open, I would've figured him to be a serious contender for the title but he's been sliding in the wrong direction this season. He seems to get upset with himself very easily. I hope the 3x problems are a blip. I wonder if practicing the Quad is throwing off his 3x technique

Mroz - Despite the great performance at CoC, I think for Brandon to slot higher than Abbott or Rippon, he will have to hit one out of the park and expect either Abbot or Rippon to go subpar. However, the judges showed that they will reward Brandon for good performances ['09]. I think the fact that he's one US man going after the Quad puts him in good stead with the judges and the USFSA.

Mahbanoozadeh - He's slowly moving up but it would take mistakes by the other 3, and great performances by him, to climb onto the team IMO. He will probably be rewarded with a trip to 4CCs.

FTR, I'd like to see Carriere regain some of his past top 10 Worlds composure.

Of course, there is time for all of this to turn around. Want to see Mroz and Abbott at their next GPs

3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

1996, 1997, 1998 (at the Olympics, that years biggest event) is years. :rolleyes: End of.

4. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

If Ryan comes back, I'm rooting for him to get his first National title. I'd be a happy panda :cheer2:

5. jlai

jlai Title-less

Jeremy has a good shot of winning again but I'm kinda hoping someone else will take this title.

6. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Jeremy was also 2008-2009 GPF Champion. That should count for something.

7. judgejudy27

Definitely. However overall Weirs international record is still clearly superior to Abbott at this point with his World medal, his other top World/Olympic finishes, and all his grand prix wins and medals. He was at one point a proven force on the international level and a bonafide major contender, whereas people just hope Abbott can become one.

8. Squibble

Squibble New Member

When was this, exactly? :confused:

9. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

2008-09 season, when he won the GPF?

10. Squibble

Squibble New Member

That was Abbott, my dear Nomad! Abbott! I'm asking about Weir (to whom judgejudy27 was referring).

11. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Sorry. Evidently I skipped a post. Well, Weir coulda been a contenda 2004-2008. Except that he rarely did more than two jump combos in his LP in international competition and consequently gave a lot of gold medals to other guys.

12. judgejudy27

From 2004 to 2008 Weir won 4 grand prix events, medalled in 9 of the 10 grand prix events he was in, won a World bronze in 2008, was 4th at Worlds in 2005, and was 2nd after the short program at the 2008 Olympics although ultimately dropping to 5th. He definitely was a serious contender during that time, in a way Abbott has never yet established himself.

13. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Serious headcase, maybe. Seldom did a third combination in his LP, never did a clean quad in competition AFAIK, struggled to reach the top levels on his spins and steps, never managed to include choreography or transitions that would compensate for his TES shortcomings, tried to package himself as a Russophile even though his skating style was quintessentially American, and generally went down in the standings at major international competitions after the SP because his LP's were never good enough. :wall:

14. judgejudy27

So in the context of a discussion about Abbott, Weir is somehow a headcase. Umm ok :lol: Weir actually was the most consistent skater last season. He was the only one who did 2 clean programs at the Grand Prix final, was one of the only ones to do 2 clean programs at the Olympics, did 2 clean programs in his 2nd GP outing, almost did 2 clean programs at Nationals. Unfortunately he wasnt a major contender at that point anymore. Weir has underperformed in a variety of ways, but not to the extent of Abbott who has done nothing other than crash and burn hard in important events except for the 2010 Nationals and 09 GP final, and respectable but not outstanding showings at the 09 Nationals and 2010 Worlds.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  15. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

I like Rippon. And he is beautiful skater.
    But have you seen this two live?
    Abbott is in a different league from Rippon (as Oda is in a different league from Rippon).

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I don't recall ever comparing Lysacek to Abbott? I can't speak for the others.

Ah, but it's not "my new definition" -- it's my interpretation of your definition. ;) If you meant that "Adam [not Jeremy] is hardly that strong...", I would point out that Rippon has won 3 of the 4 ISU Championships in which he has competed (Junior Worlds twice and Four Continents last season) and placing 6th at 2010 Worlds (5th in the FS) is a very respectable debut, IMO. However, Lysacek's bronze medal in his Worlds debut in 2005 is still the best showing of any recent U.S. man. ETA the recent Worlds debut placements:
    Weir 5th in 2004 (as National champ)
    Lysacek 3rd in 2005 (3rd at Nationals)
    Bradley 15th in 2007 (2nd at Nationals)
    Carriere 10th in 2008 (3rd at Nationals)
    Abbott 11th in 2008 (4th at Nationals, went as alternate)
    Mroz 9th in 2009 (2nd at Nationals)
    Rippon 6th in 2010 (5th at Nationals, went as alternate)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  17. Squibble

Squibble New Member

I wasn't discussing Abbott; you were.

But if we're drawing comparisons, let's note that Weir and Abbott's career ISU Personal Bests (238.87 at the 2010 Olympics and 237.72 at the 2009 Grand Prix Final, respectively) are virtually the same. The salient difference for me is that Abbott showed at 2010 U.S Nationals that he can skate better than that, whereas none of Weir's performances at Nationals, even those under 6.0, was significantly better than his performance in Vancouver.

18. judgejudy27

So Abbotts best skating is better than Weir (I actually agree with that) yet despite this Weir has had a far more successful career to date. So who is the bigger headcase.

19. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I don't think we can compare success "to date," it's apples and oranges. Johnny had 8 full seasons on the senior international level. Jeremy has had four. Johnny didn't medal at Worlds until his fifth try. Jeremy has only been to three Worlds, so he still has two more tries before he can be declared washed up :p :HA!:

ETA: It's also worth noting that Johnny had a robust career on the junior circuit, where he was able to pick up valuable experience before going senior. Thanks to his late bloomer situation, Jeremy never got the benefit of JGP events or even a trip to Junior Worlds. I just think it's all apples and oranges.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Let's hope this year's the charm...

21. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I forgot what the poll was about, but it's clearly Jeremy's title to loose. Nobody in that field can challenge his skating skills.
    I'd like Armin to make the team. I'm starting to become a fan, and I like his Avatar Lp more than the movie (perhaps cauze it's 3 hours shorter)

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I voted "Other" - Johnny Weir surprises everyone and shows up to defend his podium spot and ends up winning with his great PCS scores. [Unless whatever comes out in his tell-all book results in a lifetime USFSA ban.]

Or Armin "pulls a Mirai-2008" and blows the lid off the event, winning his first national title.

23. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Johnny will be there to receive the MK Trophy..all he needs is some faux fur and Camille..

24. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

If you're including Mroz, you could add Mahbanoozadeh to this (not that I think either will win really)

25. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I voted Mroz.

Just a feeling.

eta: I think NMURA just put my feeling to words below. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  26. NMURA

NMURA Member

They are not in the same league. Quad or not is the difference of galaxy. I think Mroz has a chance if the USFSA officials and the judges are far sighted strategists. Aboott is too old to shine at Sochi. Rippon is not a strong jumper. A man who couldn't do the 3A until 18 has little chance to master the quad. If Mroz was anointed as the national champion and pushed up as a world level contender, he could be the biggest hope of Sochi (for the US).