U. S. Nationals 2012 - Viewing Options

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by A.H.Black, Jan 6, 2012.

1. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

HisWeirness was kind enough to post the current schedule for upcoming Nationals. I thought it deserved a thread of its own.

Here are a few thoughts.

- NBC has the rights to Nationals; not Universal (please correct me if I'm wrong).

- There is no Nationals schedule listed for Universal Sports in the NBC link provided above. That link does list other sports on Universal.

- In checking the Universal Sports site, there is no schedule for Nationals (or any other upcoming skating event).

Given the current situation with Universal Sports - not available for most viewers. Given that there is now a station called NBC Sports (the old Versus). I wonder if there is just a chance that we might see some of Nationals on NBC Sports.

I realize that NBC Sports is supposed to cover a lot of hockey and other not-skating-type sports. However, we don't know what changes will be made in the coming months to the NBC Sports schedule preceding the London Olympics. I think that NBC will want to make as much money as they can on Nationals. If nothing else, I can envision having repeats of the NBC network broadcasts on NBC Sports.

It's just speculation, I know, but I can hope.

I will leave the streaming options - Icenetwork etc. for others to post.

2. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

NBC has the rights to Nationals. I think Ice Network shows the parts of Nationals that aren't shown on tv, then adds the rest later, after the tv broadcast. I highly doubt that NBC Sports will show any of Nationals, but you never know. I'd love to be wrong about that.

3. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

1. The last 2-3 seasons or so, both NBC and Universal Sports TV have shown US Nationals, so I assume they both have rights to show it on TV this year (2012). Previously Universal Sports TV has shown SPs (in 2010, but they only showed repeats last year (2011)), for example, while NBC has shown Free Skates/Free Dances live.

2. The schedule posted each week by NBC Sports typically includes 4-6 weeks worth of NBC Sports programming but only the next 7-10 days worth of Universal Sports programming.

3. It is still too early, from my experience, for the Universal Sports TV schedule to be posted on their website. So, it is still uncertain at this point what content from Nationals Universal Sports TV will be showing, if any. I highly doubt the network formerly known as Versus will be showing any US Nationals coverage.

Online coverage of Nationals will be only on icenetwork.com.

Hope this helps. :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. A.H.Black

Thanks for the input and the information about the Universal schedule. I remember how the coverage has worked for the last 2-3 years. I think Universal's access to Nationals has come from NBC since they are both part of the same network family. I'm pretty sure the rights are with NBC.

For example: I found this in one of the Nationals press releases from 2010 -

I think that's the way it works. I think you're right that NBC Sports probably won't show Nationals on the new network. I'm just hoping out loud.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  5. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

Icenetwork.com has posted their live streaming schedule:

This schedule also indicates exactly what groups NBC is planning on showing live. Hope this year that as few skaters as possible wind up being invisible (no icenetwork.com or NBC live coverage) to those @ home. :)

6. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

Icenetwork has updated their schedule with the following items:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120104&content_id=26261454&vkey=ice_news
    There will also be a program streamed live on icenetwork called "ICE Desk Live"
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120118&content_id=26381786&vkey=ice_news

ETA: More information on Nationals coverage:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120119&content_id=26392934&vkey=ice_pressrelease

There is no mention of Universal Sports TV coverage of US Nationals in this press release, which leads me to doubt that Universal Sports will show any of the events.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I hate that icenetwork has to blackout when NBC shows nationals. I can't get NBC on my TV :( and I seriously doubt I could go to a bar to watch like my husband does when his sports are on NBC...

8. A.H.Black

I find this quote confusing too. Does it mean NBC online might be available to viewers outside the U.S.? The only other possibility I can think of is that the NBC coverage might be available on the ISU network - but that doesn't seem possible.

9. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks, HisWeirness. I received an e-mail a couple of days ago with the updated live streaming schedule. Nothing has changed so far with the updated schedule that you posted.

10. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I do get NBC, but our affiliate will show college basketball instead during the afternoon broadcasts. *sigh*

11. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

You might be surprised. Some friends and I once watched Worlds at a bar in Nashville. We just asked the manager if the TV near us could show that and he changed the channel. (Helped that there weren't many people there and no "big games" but....

12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Going to be some late night viewing for us on EST. :coffee:

13. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

There's always a conveniently timed trip to Best Buy or some other store that sells TVs, lol. Also, lots of gyms have individual TVs on their cardio machines. Maybe a guest pass?

(Obviously I've had to be creative before - HA! Boyfriend refuses to stop talking throughout skating, and while I can handle that sometimes, (yeah that he watches!), during the Olympic long programs, I decided it best to not expose him to my intense watching.)

14. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Other networks around the world pick up the feed from IceNetwork and show it. Last year one of the Japanese networks showed all the Senior events in their entirety.

15. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb Active Member

:lol: my family did the same. We were at ESPN Zone eating and had them change the tvs near us to watch Worlds.

Im sure the waiter was all :rolleyes: in the kitchen about us. LOL

My family is soo into skating. Had you heard/seen us in the bar youd have thought we were watching football :cheer:

16. acraven

acraven Active Member

17. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I don't know. I live in a very small town and during, I believe it was one of the world competitions, I passed a Mexican restaurant and lo and behold worlds was on their tv. Obviously, I had a very casual and long Mexican meal that day as I did not have access to the programming on my tv.:D You might call around. Sure, you'll get a few WHAT'S?!!!, but maybe you'll luck out like I did.
    What we put ourselves through to be a fan of skating.:rolleyes:

18. CzechGuy

CzechGuy New Member

Last Year I watched US Nationals in Germany online. I think it was a NBC coverage. I hope somebody will post here the live streaming schedule of NBC. Thanks.

19. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Last year some kind soul posted a link to an NBC affiliate that streamed the broadcast and so I was able to watch live. I have my fingers crossed that someone will find a link again this year because my affiliate will be showing basketball.

20. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  21. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Thank you! I looked for some last night and didn't find any. I'm getting nothing on NBC today.Once again, basketball is scheduled for both the skating time slots. :(

22. D&Sfan4ever

D&Sfan4ever Living in a Snark

23. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

second one works perfectly :D

24. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

25. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

26. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I am such a sap watching this Michelle Kwan interview during the NBC Nationals coverage. She is amazing!

27. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I just have to say that I cannot stand the NBC commentating team. If Sandra can't shut her annoying trap, then at least cut the ridiculous psycho-babble nonsense about people she probably doesn't even know. She is so bad that I've been tempted just to put the tv on mute and do without the music.

Tom Hammond is useless. It's pretty bad when Scott Hamilton is the highlight of a commentary team.

28. wingnut

wingnut New Member

Hahaha ya I know what you mean. Funny enough I can't get any sound on the stream I'm using right now so I'll be spared for the last of the free programs!

29. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Hamilton's actually OK. He just needs to be paired with the right person- someone who will keep him in check. I don't think Bezic is that person, however. She is the one I don't like very much. Her comments aren't adding to the broadcast or informative to the viewer while the skater is skating. She's best waiting until AFTER the performance (or before) to make those comments.

While the skater is actually skating, they really need to keep the commentary limited to what's happening on the ice. The IN commentators seem to understand...why not the NBC people?

30. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I just rewatched my NBC coverage. I was so overwhelmed by the great skating that I actually could ignore any hosts. IceNetwork is good, but it is still a tiny screen. I am not one of the lucky ones with a converter to my tv. Anyway, I am excited for Worlds, we have a great team.