U.S. Men news & updates - 2013-14 season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Since this is a thread about US Men, it would not be appropriate for me to get into a discussion about Plushenko here, but if you want to know what I think about him you can PM me.

2. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

I'm hoping maybe we'll see it as a show program. Pretty please??? "Satan Takes a Holiday" from Robin Cousins is one of the best ever.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

4. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Looks like the 3A is back, even if he may not compete this season.

Good morning. #DontCryForMeNewJersey @ Ice House Skate Rink http://t.co/d7AtzoUzlV

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  5. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Wheeeeee! for Johnny. :respec:

6. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

7. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

8. Sylvia

Razzano skated to "Clair de Lune" last night and landed 3A, fell on 4T, and his combo in 2nd half was 3T+3T. Maybe the second deduction was for time? (The link to the Golden West live stream is posted in both the TV Alerts and Kiss and Cry forums.)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  9. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Don't understand why he always does the 3T+3T. Why not do a 3Z+3T or 3F+3T and get more points?

10. Conga

Conga New Member

I am interested in seeing this program from Ross because it sounds like it has the potential to be a memorable and powerful program. On the other hand, I have also had very negative reactions to some programs that attempt concepts and fail (some of the Schindler's List programs have that effect on me). If "Boston Strong" was approved at Champs Camp, though, that might be a good sign.

11. Sylvia

Nathan Chen's winning JGP Mexico SP to "Summer" & "Winter" from Vivaldi's Four Seasons, choreographed by Nadia Kanaeva (74.22): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk8kzywx71g
    Chen landed 2A with 3Lz+3T & 3Lo in 2nd half, had level 4 on footwork & on 2 of his 3 spins.

Unfortunately, 2013 U.S. Novice champ Tomoki Hiwatashi had to withdraw from his first JGP (via USFS' tweet) "due to a left ankle injury sustained in practice."

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  12. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

His injury that took Chen out last season is the reason he has dropped the 3a?

13. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Probably can't do a 3lz-3t or 3f-3t consistently, so does 3t-3t instead of 3lz-2t or 3f-2t because it's worth a little more points. If I had to guess. He probably gets an edge call on either 3f or 3lz and then the other jump isn't a good jump for him.

14. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Every time I watch Nathan Chen's skating I'm blown away all over again by his effortless bi-directional skating. The only other current skater who can do this is Satoko Miyahara. They're so ambidextrous. Also his final combination spin is fanTAbulous!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  15. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

TSL tweeted:

I am so shocked. He is such a gifted skater. Wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

16. jlai

jlai Title-less

When I heard he was trying 3A at 12 and trying sr events I was worried. :(

17. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Wow - so expressive for such a youngster and his skating is exquisitely fluid. :swoon:

18. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

Wow Nathan Chen looks great. He is showing good awareness of line and extension already. His expression has always been ahead of his age too. Very impressed.

So sad for Vincent Zhou.... Hoping for a speedy and good recovery.

19. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

ITA. What a naive comparison from a man his age.

20. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Pissing off the Russians would have little effect, if any, on his career. imo I doubt "the Russians" care what Farris has to say about the matter. Most probably don't even know who he is.

21. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

From Vincent Zhou's official website:

http://govincentzhou.wordpress.com/2013/09/03/to-my-fans-and-supporters/

22. pinky166

ITA! Nathan has done a lot of ballet in the past, and I assume he still takes some lessons even if it's just at the rink, but it has done him wonders. He may be the smallest guy out there but his skating was really in a different league from the rest of the men, the only one who came close was Lazukin from Russia who has improved tremendously since last season. And actually, I thought it looked like Nathan had grown at least a little bit, his legs seemed longer and overall he seemed sturdier compared to last season. Hopefully that Osgood-Schlatter stuff is not hampering him any longer, his talent is exceptional!

Sad about Zhou, he's another one-of-a-kind. But where he's growing quickly, still 12 and tiny, and was trying for 3a, tano on other triples, and competing as a senior man when he isn't even old enough for the JGP, I was afraid he was taking on too much too soon. Nathan's team seems to be doing a good job in regards to that, with Chen returning to the JGP and staying in juniors at Nationals for a 3rd year after suffering injuries last season and still being small and ineligible for senior ISU championships. I get when a kid has that much talent and ambition it's hard to hold them back, but sometimes, they are better off that way. Hope Zhou gets better soon!

23. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I think there are several reasons. It appears to me that Nathan is finally growing so that's probably part of it. Also I notice that Nathan's sit spins are not as low as they used to be. Besides his injuries last year, his website at one point mentioned he was dealing with Osgood-Schlatter's disease (that announcement is not there anymore). I'm guessing the sit-spins and the missing 3axel are part of dealing with the Osgood-Schlatter's until he reaches his full growth.

24. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh, poor Vincent. :( I hope the surgery will go well and take care of the issue for good.

25. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Zhou's only 12...how awful to have that kind of injury at his age!

Makes you think that pushing for 3As young isn't such a good thing.

26. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

TSL tweeted that they heard Zhou had an ACL injury. However, per the statement on Zhou's website, he is having surgery to correct a congenital defect with his knee:

"I am sad to announce that I will take a break from skating to fix a previously unknown medical disadvantage with my knee I have had since birth that makes me more prone to injury. I will undergo surgery. This is a tough decision, but I will be more injury-free and worry-free by getting it taken care of right now."

27. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I wonder what kind of medical disadvantage? I guess it's probably a good thing that they're able to fix it now, before he starts growing and it causes real trouble. I hope he recovers quickly :)

28. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Nathan not doing the 3axel at this stage of his career might be the best thing that could happen to him. He doesn't need it in the JGP and it lets him grow and get stronger so when he's grown out of the Osgood-Schlatter's disease he can do the jump again and be more prepared then before.

29. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

It's amazing that Nathan with just a double axel in the short program can beat or score as high as skaters who have a solid triple A and who are older than him. A very promising young talent.:)

30. pinky166

Agree. And as for not needing a 3a to be competitive on the JGP....if you can skate and spin as well as Jason Brown or Nathan Chen then, no, you don't need it, but I would argue most of the other guys do because their spins and overall skating are nowhere near the level of those two.