U.S. Men news & updates - 2013-14 season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 5, 2013.

1. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I thought he was skating to "Let yourself Go"? I'm not really sure about the piece from Pina. It doesn't really offer much in terms of light and shade.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Abbott changed his SP; this new one is also choreographed by Robin Cousins, I heard.

3. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Quad LUTZ in the SP? Wow that's really ambitious. When I heard he was landing lots of quads, I had assumed 4t or 4s. That's a high risk high reward move putting it in the SP, especially given his past history with the 3a (though that seemed pretty improved last season). I'm so excited for the season to start!

4. os168

os168 Active Member

This is a fab choice. Dynamic, modern, suave, and designer cool. A great faster tempo program complement to the Muse FS which is haunting, eloquent and poetic. Cousins would do a fab job with this. This is becoming one of the most exciting Men's program I am most looking forward to this season.

5. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

I can't believe we didn't get to even see the Irving Berlin short :wuzrobbed I'm sure it was an absolute masterpiece.

I'm not totally sold on the Lillies of the Valley choice yet. It could be fantastic, but I get a little worried when Jeremy tries to be "edgy" -- in other words, that really awkward "spy" program from last year. Believe me, he's my favorite male skater, but it felt like a caricature. :slinkaway

On the other hand, I don't think he's ever made this sort of decision before, so maybe he is gearing up for this year more than he has before. Perhaps he thought the Irving Berlin program was too similar too his 2011-2012 SP.

6. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Nice selection by Abbot. I can imagine him skating to this piece. It suits him very well.

7. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

yeah s/s brought ome nice music into the skating world; will be excited to see abbott with this.

8. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Aaaaaaaaand there's that Sun-In that Ashley says he's addicted to. . .

9. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Lillies of the Valley is pretty innoculous and emotionally neutral music. It's a pretty safe bet and poses no risk of misinterpretation. I don't see how it can be remotely "edgy." It's a bit bland without much variation in beat and in melody. For a free skate it might be an issue (and Ingo Steur wisely blended it into other pieces from Pina soundtrack), but for a short program it's fine.

I don't consider the "Spy" program edgy. It was just ill conceived.

10. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ What do you mean? Ill-conceived choreographically or musically or both. :p I thought Jere's Spy sp was great fun and very well executed! I can watch Jeremy A and Jason B forever skate to ANYTHING! :swoon:

Thanks for the info, Sylvia. This is the first time I became aware that the S/S program "Pina" is not the name of the actual music they used from the Pina film (also used by Menshov last season -- he did a great job with it too :)).

Here's a fun Youtube clip with the Jun Miyake music accompanying various clips of dancers dancing :encore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je0lFe0MHjU

I can't wait to see what Jeremy does with this music. Jereamazin' is a true dancer, and so is Mr. Robin Cousins. :D

Hopefully, we still get to see the original sp Jere and Robin worked on at some point, maybe as an exhibition? I wonder what was the thought process behind Jeremy deciding to change his sp selection?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  11. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Jeremy's Spy program is the only program from him I've ever liked. :shuffle:

12. aftershocks

^^ :lol: Well, it's not the only program of his I've ever liked -- I'm not choosy as I said when it comes to watching Jeremy paint magical images/ memories on ice. But yeah, his Spy program is a lot of fun. Ain't it great that skaters don't ever have to listen to fans' nitty picky advice. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OpOXBvZYy0

It's hard enough as it is just deciding what music to use and performing choreography under the constraints of CoP, not to mention training and competing. All skaters deserve a Medal of Honor for what they endure for their love of skating.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  13. os168

os168 Active Member

Through abstract find new unique forms can a testament to a great artists/performer. I find Abbott to be among the rare skater that got it.

There may be 1000 black suits made of the same material built to the same size, but what truly makes a designer suit? It is in the detail, the concept and the decision making/ In lesser hands I certainly think it would have been the same old program, e.g Evan Lysacek redo another war horse performance to another famous classical masterworks with its own built in audience and expectations.

In any case I have found Abbott to be a exciting and always interesting skater, who likes to experiment to try something new each season. I am also a huge fan of what Robin Cousins choreographed for Cheltzie Lee's[FONT=arial, sans-serif] '[/FONT]
    Chez Lez Ye Ye' by Boogalox program (one of my fav back in 2010-11), so I am really looking forward to their collaboration on this one. I would hardly find this a safe choice, but I guess I will reserve my judgement until the SP.

My reading of Abott's spy program wasn't that it was designed to be edgy, but more like that a tongue in cheek lampooning of 80s spy cliches/genre without doing another James Bond. It was designed to be humorous, fun and entertaining more than anything else.

14. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

In my eyes, any program in which Abbott does more with his arms and upper body than with his legs and feet/skates/edges is a program ill conceived. Unfortunately he's had a string of short programs lately that have taken this approach; "Spy" is the worst. Hopefully this year's short program breaks the trend and shows off his skating skills. In general I find his "fun" programs awkward.

15. jlai

jlai Title-less

I agree that there's more upper body in his last two three years of short programs, Spy being the "worst". It's not bad, but it's not like his 2009 or 2010 program.

16. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

That's what I thought as well. Totally tongue in cheek. And I appreciate very much that he's been willing to try out different styles and take some risks. The flamenco SP didn't work for me well in the beginning, for example, but I thought he had really grown into it by the end of the season. So many skaters are willing to do pretty much the same style all the time.

17. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

You mean like changing a program in the summer right before the season starts? He did the same thing in the 09/10 Olympic season. He had originally planned a free skate to "Jupiter" which he debuted just once at a summer competition and scrapped it weeks later for his Saint-Saens Organ Symphony free skate.

18. jlai

jlai Title-less

19. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

20. Conga

Conga New Member

Love your comments, aftgershocks! As for Jeremy's SP change, not sure about it, but am a Robin Cousins uber, so will probably end up liking it. Hope it serves Jeremy well.

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Senior men's scores (160+) from summer competitions known to date (any Senior B or JGP assignment included):

242.29 Jason Brown (Glacier Falls) - Nebelhorn Trophy
    222.65 Max Aaron (Vail Invitational) - Salt Lake Sr. B
    214.75 Grant Hochstein (Skate Detroit)
    213.09 Richard Dornbush (Glacier Falls)
    212.28 Shotaro Omori (Glacier Falls) - JGP Slovakia
    210.06 Vincent Zhou (Glacier Falls)
    208.73 Stephen Carriere (Boston Open exh.) - Salt Lake
    200.07 Keegan Messing (Seattle Ice Fest exh.)
    190.88 Timothy Dolensky (Skate Detroit)
    181.97 Brandon Mroz (Glacier Falls)
    177.08 Douglas Razzano (Glacier Falls)
    175.41 Joshua Farris (Vail Invitational) - Salt Lake
    166.79 Lukas Kaugars (Vail Invitational)
    163.02 Scott Dyer (Glacier Falls)
    160.14 Philip Warren (LA Open)

Ross Miner scored 76.09 in his SP at Cranberry Open but I don't know his exact FS score (131 or 133, according to ioana's post in Kiss and Cry) - he would be ranked either above or below Carriere. Miner is assigned to Ondrej Nepela.

Senior B competitions still to be assigned: Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 4-6), Cup of Nice (Oct. 23-27), Ice Challenge in Austria (Nov. 19-24).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Junior Men's scores (139+) from summer competitions known to date (JGP assignment included):

192.88 *Nathan Chen (Glacier Falls) - JGP Mexico
    162.94 *Jordan Moeller (Glacier Falls) - JGP Latvia
    159.72 *Brian Krentz (Liberty) - JGP Poland
    154.31 Patrick Rupp (Liberty)
    146.96 *Spencer Howe (Glacier Falls) - JGP TBA
    145.18 *Tomoki Hiwatashi (Skate Detroit) - JGP Mexico
    144.05 Daniel Kulenkamp (MN State)
    143.86 Chase Belmontes (Santa Fe Skate Fest)
    143.77 Ben Jalovick (Roseville Open)
    141.37 *Nix Phengsy (Glacier Falls) - JGP Slovakia
    139.34 *Jimmy Ma (Liberty) - JGP Latvia

* = listed in USFS' International Selection Pool

23. misskarne

misskarne #408

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Another article on Ross Miner's "Boston Strong" free skate: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2013/08/23/ross-miner-boston-marathon-tribute/2694299/
    Excerpt:

26. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I hope it bombs.

27. aftershocks

^^ Pun intended? :rolleyes:

:lol: Then I wonder what you thought/ think about Plushenko's programs (he has generally tended to use his legs and feet while skating way more than his upper body). It doesn't make Plush a bad skater, just a skater with a different approach that has worked very well for him. Plus Plush has been trying to evolve more with his skating. Unfortunately for Plush, the pounding his body has endured over the years has taken its toll. Still, Plush is IRONMAN in his determination.

Jeremy may sometimes be awkward and goofy off the ice. We all have our awkward moments. Personally, I have never found any of Jeremy Abbott's programs to be awkward. More like graceful, musical, imaginative, compelling, mesmerizing, and masterful. IMO, Jeremy Abbott and Jason Brown are two fantastic figure skaters who always use their entire bodies, not to mention their hearts and their creative imaginations (in concert with their choreographers) in making magic on ice.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. vocal

vocal New Member

So do I. Cousins + Abbott = must be terrific! Although I would have preferred the first music choice since Savchenko/Szolkovy and Menshov just recently skated to Lillies Of The Valley. However, I am excited what the two of them do with that music.

29. vocal

vocal New Member

ITA! Kudos for trying new things! I personally do like even the SPY and the Flamenco program. Whereas SWING KIDS is my favorite.

30. os168

os168 Active Member

A-ha! No wonder this music sound somewhat familiar. It suddenly dawned on me that I actually saw Menshov skating to this live at NRW Trophy last year and remembered being so impressed by him and his music choices. Found them to be very different from what is out there like a welcoming breath of fresh air. It was the first time I saw Menshov (or even heard of this skater) but I remember coming away with a good strong impression thinking why isn't he above Artur Gachinski (which I have also seen live at the world championships but were less impressed with). It really is man and boy. I figured it might be down to some federation politics? I can be wrong though.... I am just another outsider looking in based on a few snap shots of impressions.

Jeremy is one of the most musically interesting skaters out there who has never been afraid to push himself, together Robin who has a strong grasp of conceiving skating program holistically the 6.0 way, I expect nice bit of magic from them this season.

Over use of upper body movement actually doesn't bother in the 'spy' program because it fulfills the creative vision of the program with purpose and not bit of flaff for no other reason than trying to win points or time wasting (ahem.. yes Morozov). Given 'Spy' was designed as a comedic poke of the 80s/90s of excess and silliness. Imagine Madonna being told her 'Vogue' has too much unnecessary hands movements around the face if we are truly to judge it as a dance, then well... it kind of misses the whole point doesn't it.

I suppose the the history, culture and school of thinking around what can be construed as 'good skating' tends to encourage a balanced approach that satisfies within certain parameters of the status norm. I wonder if by adhere to this standard, it mean when things are out of the norm (like too much of something, too little of something) can be considered as 'ill conceived'. If so, it would be discouraging to me as a fan of the artistry of skating, who likes to see more freedom, extremism and experimentation at play, that can push the envelopes even at the risk of failing. There are far too many templates/formulaic programs out there that may falls within the safe parameters of 'expectation' and 'respectability'. So strong are this conservatism, I wonder if IJS have unwittingly prejudice against anything that dares to try something different. Otherwise, how else are you going to explain everyone's choices this Olympic season of tried and tested programs and failing to realize the greatness that is V&M's Carmen last season. At the biggest events, you are suppose to show your best in this unique blend sport and art. Bests these days under the COP are mostly following tried, tested old programs and music genres. No creativity, no imagination. The death of art.