U.S. Men news & updates - 2013-14 season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Cranberry Open Sr Men SP 1-2 yesterday: R Miner "The Way We Were" debut, scored 76.09 (jumps reportedly were 3S, 3A fall, 3Lz3T), S Carriere 66.58
  2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Any vids available?
  3. Sylvia

Re-posting from the Cranberry Open thread:
    I heard (maybe ioana can confirm) that Ross Miner did not attempt 4S or 3A in his FS debut, so it appears that jumps (and TES) were not the focus in his skate yesterday. Last I checked, there were no videos of Miner's new programs on YT.

Thanks to UMBS Go Blue, here are the U.S. men's videos from the Glacier Falls Summer Classic competition in early August that were posted in the Kiss and Cry forum (and not already linked in post #3 in this thread). Mroz's music is not listed in his bio yet so I've included his music below (thanks to YukiNieve for the SP music ID!).

Senior Men SP

1. Jason Brown

3. Richard Dornbush

4. Shotaro Omori

5. Vincent Zhou

6. Douglas Razzano

7. Brandon Mroz ("Europa" by Santana)

8. Keegan Messing

Senior men's free skate

3. Shotaro Omori

7. Brandon Mroz ("Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" by Richard Rodgers)
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  4. Sylvia

Jason BROWN has been assigned to Nebelhorn Trophy, which will be his first senior international! :cheer:

The listed alternates (in alphabetical order) are:
    Grant HOCHSTEIN
    Keegan MESSING
    Brandon MROZ
    Douglas RAZZANO

Ross Miner's new free skate program has a "Boston Strong" theme with music by Michael W. Smith - new article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130816&content_id=57174066&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    The article also mentions Miner will open his international season at the Ondrej Nepela Trophy, Oct. 3-5 in Slovakia.

ETA that Brian Krentz will make his Team USA debut in the fourth JGP in Latvia. He was 8th in Junior at 2013 Nationals and has had good competition performances this summer.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Wrong thread. Sorry!
  6. feraina

feraina Active Member

Excited for Jason! I really hope he somehow gets a second GP!
  7. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I already commented on this in the uber thread, but it might be worth repeating here.

TSL mentioned in this week's This and That that they are now doubting if Lysacek will be in SLC. And they mentioned that the next person in line if Lysacek does WD is Jason. So Jason could end up with two very high-profile Senior Bs. (The USFSA may not very much like the idea of Max, Josh and Jason going head-to-head at this point in the season, though.)
  8. Sylvia

Since Jason is scheduled to compete at Nebelhorn 10 days later, I hope another U.S. man would get a chance for a Senior B if Lysacek doesn't go.
  9. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Major :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: at Ross Minor's FS "theme".
  10. reese

reese Well-Known Member

When Evan WDs from Skate America, Jason will totally get that spot.
  11. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

;) Most likely.
  12. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

What's wrong with it? And it's Miner, not Minor.
  13. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Any news on Johnny, shouldn't he be announcing music IF he plans on competing?
  14. Sylvia

Some hearsay info was posted recently in this thread: Johnny Weir this season

Alex Johnson's bio has been updated with his program music: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100072&mode=I
    SP Music: "Stairway to Heaven" by Rodrigo y Gabriela
    FS Music: "A Nightmare on Elm Street" by DiscoPhantom, "Drowning" by Abel Korzeniowski, "Dinner Waltz" by Alexandre Desplat, "Bernini's Angels" by Kerry Muzzey
    Coaches & Choreographers: Tom Dickson, Catarina Lindgren
  15. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

People don't still actually believe he's coming back, do they?
  16. B.Cooper

B.Cooper New Member

Any word on how Alex is doing? Is he back on the ice yet?
  17. pinky166

Dave and Jenny said they heard he doesn't train that many 3 axels each day and that they aren't always successful either, so given that, and how new his FS program will be, I doubt he'll be at SLC or SA, so if he makes a comeback at all, his first competition will likely be Nationals, and the outcome will likely be Cohen-esque circa 2010. It will be exciting to watch hpw everything pans out, regardless.
  18. Sylvia

I don't know, but he (@Alex_M_Johnson) just tweeted today after his doctor's appointment:
    "All good news, so excited! :) #relieved"
  19. B.Cooper

B.Cooper New Member

Glad to hear that it is good news. We really enjoyed seeing his breakout performances at Nationals this year. Hopefully Tom Dickson can continue to work his choreographic magic on Alex's programs this season, and he stays healthy. Johnson has been one of those skaters hampered by foot issues over the years, and I suspect, which I think, have held him back both physically and mentally.
  20. Sylvia

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  21. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I thought he was skating to "Let yourself Go"? I'm not really sure about the piece from Pina. It doesn't really offer much in terms of light and shade.
  22. Sylvia

Abbott changed his SP; this new one is also choreographed by Robin Cousins, I heard.
  23. pinky166

Quad LUTZ in the SP? Wow that's really ambitious. When I heard he was landing lots of quads, I had assumed 4t or 4s. That's a high risk high reward move putting it in the SP, especially given his past history with the 3a (though that seemed pretty improved last season). I'm so excited for the season to start!
  24. os168

os168 Active Member

This is a fab choice. Dynamic, modern, suave, and designer cool. A great faster tempo program complement to the Muse FS which is haunting, eloquent and poetic. Cousins would do a fab job with this. This is becoming one of the most exciting Men's program I am most looking forward to this season.
  25. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

I can't believe we didn't get to even see the Irving Berlin short :wuzrobbed I'm sure it was an absolute masterpiece.

I'm not totally sold on the Lillies of the Valley choice yet. It could be fantastic, but I get a little worried when Jeremy tries to be "edgy" -- in other words, that really awkward "spy" program from last year. Believe me, he's my favorite male skater, but it felt like a caricature. :slinkaway

On the other hand, I don't think he's ever made this sort of decision before, so maybe he is gearing up for this year more than he has before. Perhaps he thought the Irving Berlin program was too similar too his 2011-2012 SP.
  26. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

Nice selection by Abbot. I can imagine him skating to this piece. It suits him very well.
  27. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

yeah s/s brought ome nice music into the skating world; will be excited to see abbott with this.
  28. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Aaaaaaaaand there's that Sun-In that Ashley says he's addicted to. . .
  29. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Lillies of the Valley is pretty innoculous and emotionally neutral music. It's a pretty safe bet and poses no risk of misinterpretation. I don't see how it can be remotely "edgy." It's a bit bland without much variation in beat and in melody. For a free skate it might be an issue (and Ingo Steur wisely blended it into other pieces from Pina soundtrack), but for a short program it's fine.

I don't consider the "Spy" program edgy. It was just ill conceived.
  30. aftershocks

^^ What do you mean? Ill-conceived choreographically or musically or both. :p I thought Jere's Spy sp was great fun and very well executed! I can watch Jeremy A and Jason B forever skate to ANYTHING! :swoon:

Thanks for the info, Sylvia. This is the first time I became aware that the S/S program "Pina" is not the name of the actual music they used from the Pina film (also used by Menshov last season -- he did a great job with it too :)).

Here's a fun Youtube clip with the Jun Miyake music accompanying various clips of dancers dancing :encore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je0lFe0MHjU

I can't wait to see what Jeremy does with this music. Jereamazin' is a true dancer, and so is Mr. Robin Cousins. :D

Hopefully, we still get to see the original sp Jere and Robin worked on at some point, maybe as an exhibition? I wonder what was the thought process behind Jeremy deciding to change his sp selection?
  31. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

Jeremy's Spy program is the only program from him I've ever liked. :shuffle:
  32. aftershocks

^^ :lol: Well, it's not the only program of his I've ever liked -- I'm not choosy as I said when it comes to watching Jeremy paint magical images/ memories on ice. But yeah, his Spy program is a lot of fun. Ain't it great that skaters don't ever have to listen to fans' nitty picky advice. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OpOXBvZYy0

It's hard enough as it is just deciding what music to use and performing choreography under the constraints of CoP, not to mention training and competing. All skaters deserve a Medal of Honor for what they endure for their love of skating.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  33. os168

os168 Active Member

Through abstract find new unique forms can a testament to a great artists/performer. I find Abbott to be among the rare skater that got it.

There may be 1000 black suits made of the same material built to the same size, but what truly makes a designer suit? It is in the detail, the concept and the decision making/ In lesser hands I certainly think it would have been the same old program, e.g Evan Lysacek redo another war horse performance to another famous classical masterworks with its own built in audience and expectations.

In any case I have found Abbott to be a exciting and always interesting skater, who likes to experiment to try something new each season. I am also a huge fan of what Robin Cousins choreographed for Cheltzie Lee's[FONT=arial, sans-serif] '[/FONT]
    Chez Lez Ye Ye' by Boogalox program (one of my fav back in 2010-11), so I am really looking forward to their collaboration on this one. I would hardly find this a safe choice, but I guess I will reserve my judgement until the SP.

My reading of Abott's spy program wasn't that it was designed to be edgy, but more like that a tongue in cheek lampooning of 80s spy cliches/genre without doing another James Bond. It was designed to be humorous, fun and entertaining more than anything else.
  34. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

In my eyes, any program in which Abbott does more with his arms and upper body than with his legs and feet/skates/edges is a program ill conceived. Unfortunately he's had a string of short programs lately that have taken this approach; "Spy" is the worst. Hopefully this year's short program breaks the trend and shows off his skating skills. In general I find his "fun" programs awkward.
  35. jlai

jlai Title-less

I agree that there's more upper body in his last two three years of short programs, Spy being the "worst". It's not bad, but it's not like his 2009 or 2010 program.
  36. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

That's what I thought as well. Totally tongue in cheek. And I appreciate very much that he's been willing to try out different styles and take some risks. The flamenco SP didn't work for me well in the beginning, for example, but I thought he had really grown into it by the end of the season. So many skaters are willing to do pretty much the same style all the time.
  37. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

You mean like changing a program in the summer right before the season starts? He did the same thing in the 09/10 Olympic season. He had originally planned a free skate to "Jupiter" which he debuted just once at a summer competition and scrapped it weeks later for his Saint-Saens Organ Symphony free skate.
  38. jlai

jlai Title-less

39. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

40. Conga

Conga New Member

Love your comments, aftgershocks! As for Jeremy's SP change, not sure about it, but am a Robin Cousins uber, so will probably end up liking it. Hope it serves Jeremy well.