U.S. Men 2012-13 pre-season news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 13, 2012.

1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Hmm I heard Josh was doing Skate for Hope. Someone had posted something about it on his FB awhile back. Maybe he's just not listed as a headliner? Or maybe he was going to do it then changed his mind...idk.

Hoping there will at least be a report about Jason's SP, even if there's no video...

2. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

They have Jeremy and Adam listed as headliners, and one would think that a Junior World Championship medallist would at least receive a look-in on the poster ;) I think it's safe to assume at this point that he won't be there.

Nothing so far, but it's early yet, I'll keep waiting :D

Meanwhile, I think Josh's new profile picture on Twitter is his new haircut? Certainly not going to complain about it either way :p :swoon:

3. pinky166

Ahaha yeah it's his new hair...idk if i like it spiked up like that. he's a cutie regardless but i think it looked better at jw. this new hair looks a bit beiberish although maybe that's what he was going for...

ANY NEWS ON JASON'S SP AND IF HE ATTEMPTED/LANDED THE 3A?!

4. misskarne

It's certainly a bit big at the front :lol: but you're right, he will remain gorgeous always.

NO NEWS! I AM DYINGGGGGGGG! He skates the FS tonight...some lucky crowd is about to have a mass :swoon:!

5. pinky166

Gack I'm so jealous. I wish I could see Jason's Liebestraume live! I wonder if he'll wear a lavender costume which seems to be the "signature" color to wear when skating to Liebestraume, that would be erm interesting, but I'm sure Jason could still manage to make it look cute/manly. A darker purple could definitely work.

6. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Is it possible to start a Jason & Josh Uber thread in the Trash Can for commentary re: hair and fashion? This thread should be about news regarding the competitive season, not about fashion & hair commentary.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  7. misskarne

Sorted.

Josh and Jason squealing goes in here now: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83969

8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Great Q & A with Ross Miner!

He discusses his new programs and dishes on Boston being site of 2014 Nationals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...HxluIJVbg&NR=1

Very interesting responses to some of the questions --

Ross loves Michal Brezina's triple axel, the emotion Dai has when he skates, and he thinks Jonathan Cassar's spread eagle is one of the coolest moves in figure skating.

If he skated pairs, Ross would love to skate with Gretchen Donlan or Marissa Castelli.

(Also posted in Ross Miner thread in the Skip)

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I also posted the link to the fan interview video with Miner a few pages back, but it seems to have gotten lost. ;)

Richard Dornbush is now scheduled to compete in the Glacier Falls club competition in early August, along with Keegan Messing (this will be his first time at GF, I believe, since he usually has done Golden West on Labor Day weekend instead).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  10. pinky166

Any news regarding if Ross is planning to try a quad (4t or 4s or both?) in his programs this upcoming season? He had mentioned something about it earlier in the spring...i'm curious to see how they are coming, it could make a big difference in his placement at Nationals and whether or not he'll be a "favorite" to make the Olympic team in 2014.

11. aftershocks

Interesting selections for Jason! Happy to see Rohene will be choreographing Jason's programs again. :)

The Question of U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0chSfulKuu8

So, perhaps soon we'll see what is the answer Jason, 2 the question of U and 3-axel? ;)

12. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

Please Jason, get that 3x!

I love that he keeps working with Rohene, just like he said he would. I love Rohene and he's done really good work for Jason. :) I'm in love with their choice of music for the SP, what an inspired idea! :D

13. aftershocks

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120605&content_id=32790746&vkey=ice_news

Scroll down:

Miner's coach, Mark Mitchell, was reluctant to discuss details of the technical content of the programs, but he did say they would like to have at least one quad in the program.

14. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Yay for Richard. I think this means he's starting his season earlier this year? Probably a smart move, considering that he started later last season (IIRC) and ended up changing his SP, which may have contributed to last season being less than stellar for him.

15. pinky166

16. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^Happy that there is positive news about US men attempting Quads (the Miner article, video clips of Dornbush and Mahbahnoozadeh), but, I'm not going to get excited until I see a solid success rate in competition at the international level. Sorry if that's a bit of a downer.

17. Sylvia

Yes. Dornbush started his season at Golden West last year (after Champs Camp), and now his first competition of the season apparently will be the Los Angeles Open in mid-July.

18. pinky166

Agreed. Courtesy of his fb wall it appears Josh Farris is using his new trampoline to train a 5sal :p. He came down backwards but I'm pretty sure he went around at least 4 times. In all seriousness, I wonder if trampolines are often used as a tool to train new jumps. I will say that both Armin and Richard appear to have very solid 4toes at this point. As for Ross and Adam, they have more work to do, but it doesn't mean the quads can't become a reality by the start of the real season.

19. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Will someone have to be badly injured while training or performing a Quad for the obsessive emphasis on doing them to end?
    What will it take to return to "balanced" programs?

20. Sylvia

Since we're on the topic of Quads, I'm reposting this March 2012 article from an earlier U.S. Men's thread:
    Some of the points I found interesting:

21. pinky166

Quads are just essential to win on a world stage now, simple as that. I for one am excited skating is moving forward, it's great to see so many skaters skate and try two quads in their programs! There are now a handful of skaters with 4t and 4s, it's awesome!

22. jlai

jlai Title-less

23. Sylvia

Thanks for posting the link! Excerpt from the Vincent Zhou article:

24. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

and I wouldn't hold my breath,,, Dornbush hasn't had much of a consistent run lately, and Armin seldom gets the chance to prove his worth...

Miner may perhaps be able to do it for you :)

25. Sylvia

Some news from this past weekend's Broadmoor Open (from the 2012 Broadmoor comp. thread in Kiss and Cry)...
    Brandon Mroz attempted but fell on the 4Lo in his SP and on a few attempts in the Jumps competition. I was told he landed one 4Lo attempt during his 6-minute warmup before the short. He kept his "Mack the Knife" SP and landed 3A and 3Lz+2t after the 4Lo fall (scored 68.17 to win the SP Only event). Max Aaron attempted two quads in his SP (Salchow & toe) but fell on the 4S and popped the 4T into a double. He did land 4T and a 4S+2T+2Lo later to win the Jumps event over Mroz.

26. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

Disappointed Mroz still hasn't managed to get that quad lutz consistent enough to stick in a program, would've been a hell of a points getter...

27. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Good for Max! He seems to have the most consistent quad of the younger US men so I hope he can remain injury free & improve his presentation.

28. aftershocks

There is a separate "Jumps" event? I've never heard that before, except perhaps exhibition-style for fun jumping contests.

29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Lots of non-qualifying competitions have seperate jump, spin, and footwork events. They are often compulsory events though (each skater must do the same elements). Then they often have a compulsory event with both jumps and spins.

You don't usually see too many high level skaters in these events, but a club competition as large as broadmoor could support it for sure. I checked the announcement and it was a compulsory event, but the higher level was written pretty broadly "Double or Triple Axel; any 3 jump combo; any triple or quad jump out of footwork"

Just for interest, the senior spins event at Broadmoor Open was "Flying Spin of Choice (8 revs); Spin Combo with 1 chg of foot & all 3 Basic Positions (6 revs ea foot & 2 revs in ea position); Camel or Sit Spin with 1 chg of foot (Men 6 revs ea foot) or Layback or Sideways Leaning Spin (Ladies 8 revs)"

30. aftershocks

Thanks Skittl1321! Guess I should join a local club and learn more about fs from the bottom up. :)

:respec: Thank you!

I never really liked the introduction of quads, not even when Ilia did them. Altho' it was quite amazing when Elvis did a Quad/ Triple at the Olympics, the over-focus on quad jumps indeed does not make for balanced programs. I shudder re the specter of injuries too. :( Elvis and Plush and Joubert -- and Dai, et al., have paid the price in that respect. Not to mention Sasha Abt's injuries which impacted his career.

Of the men, Fernandez and Hanyu do have some gorgeous-looking quads, but doing them very obviously takes a great deal of energy out of them and their stamina for completing polished programs suffers. Brezina has huge height on all his jumps, but even the quad for him is not easy and surely takes a lot out of him too, which likely leaves little focus for improving his artistry. Altho' kudos to Chan for fairly quickly mastering quads, IMO, overall balance, consistency and stamina in his skating has suffered too.

Good luck to all the men. Hope since Plush and TPTB have said quads are absolutely necessary, that someone will find a way to train them safely, to develop consistency and necessary stamina when doing them, to strategize when, where and how often to use them, and to balance all their jumps with artistry and innovative music/ choreo that takes skating from the bland to the magically glorious.