U.S. Men 2012-13 pre-season news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 13, 2012.

1. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

They embellish their heights? Has skating turned into Match.com? :lol:
  2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Maybe they all get measured in skates.
  3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ :lol: Exactly what I was thinking, Skittl1321! For example, if Dornbush's actual height is 5'8" then his skates would add at least 3 inches making him appear to be 5'11"

For all intents and purposes, their skates do become part of these athletes, as they are in them for so much of their careers.

:lol: This reminds me of the time I met Petr Barna in person after a COI event. (He's a very sweet and friendly guy, btw). He admitted to me that he was actually wearing lifts in his shoes because he wasn't that tall. He felt more comfortable wearing the lifts because they made him appear as tall as he was when he was on the ice. :)
  4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I stood next to Gwendal Peizerat in an elevator, and I was surprised at how short and slight he was -- Marina must be even tinier. He sure could skate "big" whatever his height.
  5. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Is it really that hard to believe? Joubert is one of the taller male skaters and from what I've heard from people who met him, he's around 5'8"...
  6. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

More off-season fluff via Twitter:
  7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I've stood by Plushenko and next to Joubert while both were wearing street shoes and both are noticeably taller than my 5'5", which 5'8" people are not.
  8. Sylvia

Scroll down for the latest Jason Brown update in Sarah and Drew's "Inside Edge" blog today (June 12): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120612&content_id=33162774&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    Looking forward to seeing Brown's programs and happy to hear that Ward is involved in choreography again after returning from his European tour!
  9. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Yay, new board!

:D ITA With Jason that Rohene is Prince. Both from Minnesota...
  10. pinky166

A 3 inch difference isn't noticeable? I would say it is, anyways...

Jason's Libestraume should be interesting, has a guy ever skated to that before? Seems like such a "girly" piece of music, but surely it doesn't have to be, should be really interesting to see though!
  11. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Interpretive program

Reportedly Johnny Weir was planning to use it at one point but changed his mind/program before the season began.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Not the ponytail. :(
  13. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

Chengjiang LI, SP, 2006 Worlds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwiUOplcR2A&feature=player_embedded

Chengjiang was known for his jumps.
    I think this program was a new challenge for him.

(I know this thread is about US men, so this is just FYI)
  14. pinky166

So apparently someone asked about Richard's height on twitter and he replied saying he's 5'8". So as for the growthspurt theory...

Any news on his programs for the upcoming season? Did anyone confirm if Shae Lynn Bourne is in fact doing his choreo, or if he was working with some other Vancouver based choreographer?
  15. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I think Liebstraume is such a perfect piece of music for Jason! I'm a bit :confused: about the Prince choice, normally I don't like that sort of thing, but Jason has had flawless tastes in music all through his career so I'll go with it!

And if he can do Liebstraume half as well as Ilia could, it will be absolutely beautiful... :swoon:

So relieved to hear that the ponytail is staying put! :rollin: I hope that if he does decides to cut it off he does it as his own choice, and not because anyone else has told him to.

And...no 3A news. Jason, you little tease...

Also, a free skate in 3 days?!?!?!?! :eek: Oh boy. Hope there'll be videos from this competition!
  16. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Here's a theory: He just had a bad season. It happens sometimes.

As his uber, here's hoping he gets things turned around next season. :respec:
  17. pinky166

Oh I totally agree. I'm a big Dornbush fan as well, I more just meant to say that whatever was troubling him last season was not growth related, as one poster had mentioned, claiming he had spurted up to 6'1"! Just wanted to clear the air.
  18. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I'm so glad to hear Rohene is back and choreographing for Jason! (And I hope that he can help him with that dreaded 3A)

The article said Jason will be doing a competition this weekend, but that his LP wasn't done yet.
  19. misskarne

They're trying to get the LP done in three days, which is pretty ambitious. I think what we'll see this weekend will be a VERY rough version of it!

I'm super-excited to see this! (And I'll be keeping an eye on his jump content very, very, very closely. *crosses fingers*)
  20. pinky166

He better try that damn 3a! I don't care if he splats all over the place on it...JUST GO FOR IT BUDDY!! :p excited!
  21. misskarne

This is where he trolls everyone by coming out and landing it perfectly on the first time. :p

I can't wait! I'm stupidly excited. It's only June and competitions for my favourite skaters are back! YAY! NO MORE OFF-SEASON!!!!! :lol:
  22. pinky166

Well that would be nice :). Can't say I'm expecting that to happen but it would be great if it did!
  23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

What lovely complements from Doug.
    I'm really looking forward to a great season for Jason.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Not as interesting as if he skated to the Spike Jones version:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QOSFGG/ref=dm_dp_trk63?ie=UTF8&qid=1339606538&sr=8-1

I do like this version:
    http://www.amazon.com/Liebestraum/dp/B0043HBQKY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1339606690&s=dmusic&sr=1-4

I wonder if either of these would qualify for the polka?

(Somehow I always hear Elvis Presley in my head when Liebestraum is played. Not good.)
  25. Sylvia

All that is known publicly about Dornbush was posted in the "Program Music/Choreographers" thread in GSD -- that he tweeted his short program is "to an instrumental of 'With or Without You', U2, originally" and that he was in Vancouver for choreography in early April (Bourne is based in Toronto).

Jonathan Cassar tweeted yesterday that he is currently in Toronto working with David Wilson: "Day one in Toronto, sore but stoked for this new program!"
  26. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

I always hear Bette Davis as Margo Channing. "Liebestraum...again..." :lol:
  27. pinky166

So when is this competition Jason is competing in? This weekend? Or next week/weekend?

Also is Josh doing Skate for Hope this year? Maybe we will get to see a new exhibition program from him...
  28. misskarne

Answer to Q1: Jason skates his SP in about 3 hours. (Please, please let there be video.)

Answer to Q2: I haven't seen him on the list. A new ex would be nice. I feel like Gravity was a bit slow and mournful for him. I mean, Josh looks good in slo-mo, :p but it was just a bit...:blah:

Never will complain about the t-shirt/jeans combination...especially when his bootlace came undone. :p

Bonus answer to Q2:

Just went on Skate for Hope website to check, and nope, no Josh listed. They've got a huge long list of all the skaters they've had over the years down the bottom with pictures, scroll down and...omg cute baby Josh and baby Jason! :lol:
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  29. Sylvia

Reposting from the US Club Competitions thread in the Kiss and Cry forum:

FYI, Southport Summer Classic is a pretty small club competition and I don't even know if, or how soon, results will be published online afterwards. Jason Brown mentioned he is scheduled to compete at Glacier Falls in early August -- we fans were lucky to have many videos filmed from the stands/uploaded to YouTube last year, so fingers crossed the same will happen again for Glacier Falls this year!
  30. misskarne

*mock whining* BUT THAT'S NOT TIL AUGUST! :p

Last year at Glacier Falls he also tried the 3A. ;)
  31. pinky166

Hmm I heard Josh was doing Skate for Hope. Someone had posted something about it on his FB awhile back. Maybe he's just not listed as a headliner? Or maybe he was going to do it then changed his mind...idk.

Hoping there will at least be a report about Jason's SP, even if there's no video...
  32. misskarne

They have Jeremy and Adam listed as headliners, and one would think that a Junior World Championship medallist would at least receive a look-in on the poster ;) I think it's safe to assume at this point that he won't be there.

Nothing so far, but it's early yet, I'll keep waiting :D

Meanwhile, I think Josh's new profile picture on Twitter is his new haircut? Certainly not going to complain about it either way :p :swoon:
  33. pinky166

Ahaha yeah it's his new hair...idk if i like it spiked up like that. he's a cutie regardless but i think it looked better at jw. this new hair looks a bit beiberish although maybe that's what he was going for...

ANY NEWS ON JASON'S SP AND IF HE ATTEMPTED/LANDED THE 3A?!
  34. misskarne

It's certainly a bit big at the front :lol: but you're right, he will remain gorgeous always.

NO NEWS! I AM DYINGGGGGGGG! He skates the FS tonight...some lucky crowd is about to have a mass :swoon:!
  35. pinky166

Gack I'm so jealous. I wish I could see Jason's Liebestraume live! I wonder if he'll wear a lavender costume which seems to be the "signature" color to wear when skating to Liebestraume, that would be erm interesting, but I'm sure Jason could still manage to make it look cute/manly. A darker purple could definitely work.
  36. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Is it possible to start a Jason & Josh Uber thread in the Trash Can for commentary re: hair and fashion? This thread should be about news regarding the competitive season, not about fashion & hair commentary.
    Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  37. misskarne

Sorted.

Josh and Jason squealing goes in here now: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83969
  38. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Great Q & A with Ross Miner!

He discusses his new programs and dishes on Boston being site of 2014 Nationals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...HxluIJVbg&NR=1

Very interesting responses to some of the questions --

Ross loves Michal Brezina's triple axel, the emotion Dai has when he skates, and he thinks Jonathan Cassar's spread eagle is one of the coolest moves in figure skating.

If he skated pairs, Ross would love to skate with Gretchen Donlan or Marissa Castelli.

(Also posted in Ross Miner thread in the Skip)
  39. Sylvia

I also posted the link to the fan interview video with Miner a few pages back, but it seems to have gotten lost. ;)

Richard Dornbush is now scheduled to compete in the Glacier Falls club competition in early August, along with Keegan Messing (this will be his first time at GF, I believe, since he usually has done Golden West on Labor Day weekend instead).
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  40. pinky166

Any news regarding if Ross is planning to try a quad (4t or 4s or both?) in his programs this upcoming season? He had mentioned something about it earlier in the spring...i'm curious to see how they are coming, it could make a big difference in his placement at Nationals and whether or not he'll be a "favorite" to make the Olympic team in 2014.