U.S. Men 2012-13 pre-season news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 13, 2012.

1. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I'm pretty certain Grant did a blog with that information in it. In a related note, I understand that Kristi Yamaguchi did a commercial or promo supporting Mitt Romney.
    I believe in freedom of speech and all, but..... Hope nobody thinks I'm a hater as I enjoy(ed) skating from both of them.

2. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Can someone get a quote from Rudy Galindo? I'm sure he has an opinion on this. :EVILLE:

3. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

Indeed, ugh. That ad made me want to stab my ears. I muted it every time. But we're completely off-road and into the gravel on the subject, so I'll leave it at that :scream:

Woo, US men, woo! :slinkaway

4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Gee, that's nice, considering that it's in the United States Constitution and everything. :)

5. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I caught a piece of the ad and did a double-take when KY appeared. But, she probably was just giving her opinion as to how well the 2002 Olympics played out from an athlete's POV.

Anyway, we probably should remain OT :shuffle:

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Article on Douglas Razzano: http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/08/late-bloomer-razzano-gains-stamina/

7. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

This thread has done a good job summarizing the problem with the US men. We have a lot of men with a lot of potential and basically no men who seem to be able to deliver on that potential. Unless someone really figures it out soon, things will continue on the way they have been going. Whoever has a decent performance at nationals will go to worlds where they will most likely be nowhere near the medals.

I love to watch Jeremy but I just don't think he's going to figure it out ever at this point. If we had any more consistent men I'd be hoping that they'd beat him at Nationals. But these days they are all about the same.

8. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

And you can replace "men" with "ladies" and this statement is still largely true.

9. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I agree with this. The scary thing is that the top five at US Nationals could be five different guys on any given day. What this also points out, however, is the great depth we have in men's skating.

10. jlai

jlai Title-less

Good depth if we are thinking guys who can place top15 at world. No medal contender tho.
    You need skating skills that can rival the top + a consistent quad for that.
    Given that I think US ladies will start outperforming men again, for many ladies have the potential to place top 8 or 10 at world. A couple may even have medal potential

11. legjumper

legjumper Active Member

I think Ricky Dornbush will have a better season than last year. I sat next to Sean Rabbitt's mom on Saturday night at Glacier Falls, and she said that Ricky had blade problems last season that have since been diagnosed and corrected. Apparently he was skating the entire time on a crooked blade.

Of course, this is FSU and both no excuse and any excuse are valid. :lol: But judging by Ricky's recent performances and his general demeanor, I'd say he's on the right track and should be in the medal hunt at Nationals. He's upping his tech content and working on closing the style gap. For a guy just on the cusp of 21, he's in a good spot.

Without a triple axel, I don't see Jason Brown as being a serious World team contender. The domestic field is just too deep, plus he'd be buried by a senior international panel.

Realistically, the two spots for Worlds are up for grabs among Abbott, Rippon, Miner, Dornbush, and Mahbanoozadeh. Oh, and Weir, I suppose. Maybe an outside shot for Razzano. Maybe Farris, if he doesn't choke again. But the big guns are the first ones I listed. I would expect those six to be the final flight at Nationals, assuming no major errors in the short. From there is mainly boils down to holding it together mentally.

12. olympic

:eek: Wow. It's interesting that a rival skater's mom offered that info. I find that makes it rather credible.

Ambitious in repeating the Quad and 3x! It looks like he's going for 4T, 4T+2T (or 3T)(first 2 jumping passes interchangeable), 3x, (2 min. mark), Rippon 3z+3T (or 2T - depends on Quad combo), 3x+2T+2L, 3L, 3F, 3S!

BTW, Ricky's score at Glacier Falls was 233 pts. Yes, it was just a national summer comp., but still .... :hat1:

Word. I get the love for his skating skills and style, but he isn't going anywhere w/o a 3x. He really needs it.

I wish we had more of an idea of what Evan is up to, but otherwise, your list is really accurate. Add Lysacek to your 5 contenders + Weir and that sounds right. I would also say Messing and Aaron have equal outside shots to Razzano. But, Messing seems stagnant, and Aaron has CoP friendly programs thanks to Tom Z, but there are other issues with his Aaron's skating that hold him back. Finally, I wouldn't add Mroz anywhere to the contender's list whatsoever

13. legjumper

legjumper Active Member

I'll believe Evan is returning to competition when he actually, you know, competes. If he doesn't do this season, then I hope he's planning on Sochi being for the experience rather than to defend his gold medal or even medal at all. It's not that he's not a good skater or has no chance to make the team; it's more that it's so hard to be away from competition so long and then be able to turn it on in the highest pressure situation possible - and this is assuming he even makes the Olympic team, which will be even harder to do if the U.S. only has two spots available.

Keegan Messing is an exciting skater when he's on, but he's just way too erratic to be counted on for two solid back-to-back performances. I also think an international panel would be unkind to him even on a good day.

Max Aaron has some solid skills but just isn't quite ready for prime time yet.

Brandon Mroz seems satisfied with his one trip to Worlds and now is just happy to practice quads. Which is fine, but that's not how you become a national or World champ.

14. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Evan tweeted that he will be on the Today Show Friday to make an announcement. Therefore, we should find out on Friday if Evan plans to return to competition this season.

15. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

As with Johnny, I'll believe it when I see it. At least Johnny has GP assignments and programs announced and so forth.

16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

My bet is that Evan will decide not to return to compeition.

17. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

I have to disagree. All signs point toward Lysacek returning to competition. The fact that Hilton HHonors is hosting Evan's stay in London speeks volumes.

Hopefully after Evan's announcement, I will have a desire to purchase tickets to the 2012 Hilton HHonors Skate America.

18. olympic

I think this is an accurate description of Brandon's status today. He's going after jumps he can't land and sacrificing everything else. He still beat Max Aaron score-wise though at Glacier Falls which makes me wonder about the men's pecking order at Chez Tom Z.

I had hopes for him a 2d time when he medalled on the GP circuit in the '10 - '11 season, skating technically strong programs w/ Bezic choreography. But, that recent high point seems to have been just a blip

19. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

This is what I think too.

20. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

I thought Lysacek had already announced his comeback! :confused: Didn't he say he would do a Senior B to get the minimum score? Didn't he already skate his new SP wearing a very ugly Wang designed costume at some show a few months a few months ago?

That's probably his big announcement or announcement-again, it really seems a bit too much going on The Today Show from London for it.

Or maybe he's got engaged to Vera Wang! :yikes:
    :lol:

21. jlai

jlai Title-less

I think he will say he is skating at SA and Hilton is his new sponsor to help him train through Sochi

22. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Pay up!! :eek:

23. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

(1) I didn't make any concrete bet and (2) there's plenty of time for "something to come up" for Evan to reconsider.

:p

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Here's the new thread about Lysacek's planned comeback at Skate America (includes article links): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84599

I would hope that Armin Mahbanoozadeh is first in line for a Senior B.

Summer competition scores for 19 Senior men who are known to have scored 160+ total through Glacier Falls last weekend:
    233.08 Richard Dornbush - Glacier Falls (81.66 SP / 151.42 FS)
    208.76 Jason Brown - Southport Classic [exhibition in June. scored ~144 in FS there]
    206.52 Jason Brown - Glacier Falls (67.47 / 139.29)
    204.99 Armin Mahbanoozadeh - Vail Invitational (72.42 / 132.57)
    200.08 Grant Hochstein - Glacier Falls (76.32 SP at Glacier Falls / 127.73 FS at LA Open)
    195.04 Keegan Messing - Liberty (72.70 / 122.34)
    192.41 Max Aaron - Liberty (60.06 SP at Glacier Falls / 136.30 FS at Liberty)
    192.33 Sean Rabbitt - LA Open (67.60 SP at LA Open / 128.66 FS at Glacier Falls)
    191.56 Andrew Gonzales - Skate Detroit (64.31 / 127.25)
    190.59 Brandon Mroz - Liberty (66.77 SP at Glacier Falls / 128.96 FS at Liberty)
    190.06 Alexander Johnson - Skate Detroit (66.35 / 123.71)
    188.87 Harrison Choate - Liberty (61.26 / 127.61)
    188.68 Ross Miner - Liberty (61.93 / 126.75)
    187.34 Philip Warren - Glacier Falls (66.31 / 121.03)
    184.31 Stephen Carriere - Glacier Falls (66.64 / 117.67)
    178.90 Joshua Farris - Vail Invitational (66.33 / 112.57)
    177.28 Wesley Campbell - Liberty (57.42 / 119.86)
    169.46 Timothy Dolensky - Skate Detroit (61.88 / 107.58)
    163.82 Jonathan Cassar - Glacier Falls (53.34 / 110.48)
    163.35 Scott Dyer - Glacier Falls (58.25 / 105.20)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  25. legjumper

legjumper Active Member

My gut says that this year's World team will not feature both Lysacek and Weir. Ditto the team for Sochi.

(Cheerleading for Evan and Ricky, though! :cheer2:)

26. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Re Blanc/Bouquet -- vid please. As far as Jason, right now he's pretty much respected nationally and internationally for his skating talent. And yes, we all know he needs the 3-axel to ultimately remain competitive. The fact that so far w/o 3-axel he's achieved the success that he has speaks volumes.

Quotable Quote! :lol:

Well I guess at least part of your wish comes true. :) But per "hair-pulling," I think both these guys have reached an age of maturity and seriousness and last dash dedication that will make them both all business. :D IOW, I bet neither will allow themselves to be swayed by media and others attempting to "stir the pot" between them or rather against each other.

Yep, ahem, I saw that (Yama was joined by some other athletes I wasn't familiar with in "singing Mitt's praises"). :scream: since there's no puke icon. Oh well, I guess that's a topic for PI. Anyways, what Yama had to say made me wonder, Is it MR then who we partly have to thank for the IJS/CoP wonderfulness, or should I say "wonderful mess"? The Dems should do a neg ad marketed to fs fans who hate CoP. :slinkaway:

Ha ha, you may be right. It all depends. I'd have to pick Abbott and Weir, but I fear neither will be favored and they'd both have to skate "knock your socks off" at Nats and Worlds b/c they aren't exactly judges' favorites.

I'm going to be watching this season only to enjoy great skating and I'll try to rise above all the judging and CoP angst, not to mention angst of who gets to go to Worlds. Just whoever goes, please be in a zone and perform and receive high enough scores. :saint: U.S. deserves 3 spots for men more than Italy and Canada, IMHO.

27. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Italy doesn't have 3 spots for 2013 Worlds in men's skating. Japan, France, and Canada do though. :shuffle:

28. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Based on 2012 Worlds performances U.S. has the deserved spots, exactly... Let´s hope there will be the needed change at 2013 Worlds.

29. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yep museksk8r, thanks -- I don't think Italy deserves 2 spots in mens, or to put it another way, I think on any given day, the U.S. men 1-5 at the least can beat the socks off Canada's 2 - whatever and Italy's 1 - whoever.

I understand what you are sayin' Jaana (maybe :p), but what about 2011 Worlds where U.S. guys (especially the younger two R and R) were lowballed just cause Ricky and Ross were newbies and Ryan B couldn't get no respect plus Ryan B didn't skate his absolute best unfortunately -- Russian audience certainly didn't get his fp (not to mention that Ryan B, with a coach like Zzzzz jump master, never did develop any latent artistry or polish which Ryan def had in him somewhere -- Ryan B looked more elegant as a 16-yr-old than he ever did over the course of his career).

Well, with the "King's" return and all, your wish for a "needed change at 2013 Worlds" is probably in the bag, eh? Altho' "Lysacek" and "King" don't seem to go together; it was coined by a recent "He's back" article on EL. Defending OG medalist, I can agree with. If EL brings back his determination along with some other tricks up his sleeve and if he's lost none of his competitiveness and athleticism, Evan should place well -- not so sure that will mean gold, but we'll see. Probably judges will look upon Evan very nicely, especially if he delivers solid programs. Judges always like when their prior judgements are shown to have been sound. ;)

30. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

US men are so inconsistent that I highly doubt on any given day, they could beat Canada 2 and Italy 1. ^