U.S. Men 2012-13 news, updates & general discussion

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 16, 2012.

1. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Adam's new program is great. Feels a little rushed at this point but I'm sure it'll be a real beauty by the time next season rolls around. Hoping Rafael can help him get that 3axel into shape over the summer.

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ As already mentioned, Adam is recovering from an ankle injury, and it seems that is one of the reasons he's taking it easy on the jumps in the posted preview of his new long program. Is this the earliest debut ever for a new season's program I wonder? Adam's 3-axel was looking great at U.S. Nationals in January, and he's been working on developing quads too, therefore over the summer, he'll probably be further refining the 3-axel and training to get at least one quad under his belt in order to be competitive. I think most of all, it's cool to see Adam skating with confidence and great presence.

Well, a poster in the Trash Can thread re Adam's new program feels that Adam's interpretation is not at all like Klimkin's after seeing the full video and not just the photos. I agree that Klimkin's and Adam's approaches to this music, as well as their styles are quite different. They both do have a similar move in the Mr. Frick squat glide with lean (I don't recall if there is a name for that move).

I appreciate the differences in both approaches, and I like both interpretations. Obviously Adam's program is going to evolve further, but it's looking wonderful even at this early date, and he exhibits strength and confidence.

3. jlai

jlai Title-less

I totally missed the Icenetwork article about Tim Koleto dancing for Korea. That's a big change.
    It's great that he's interested in Korean culture

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

5. Sylvia

Here's Moeller's winning FS to Muse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S64RLerwk5k
    He skated a much better FS in Italy than at Nationals, while Jimmy Ma skated a much better FS at Nationals than in Italy.

ETA:
    Moeller's entertaining first international competition blog for Team USA at Gardena: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130401&content_id=43600512&vkey=ice_news

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  6. reese

reese Well-Known Member

7. Sylvia

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  8. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Breaking news: Lysacek seeks to stay relevant without showing up at actual competitions.

I'd love to see him make me eat my words. But I think he's been gone for a long time. With a lot of injuries. Does he plan to compete before nationals? It will be interesting to see how he does on the Grand Prix, if he bothers.

10. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Oh, come on Lysacek, give it up already.

Besides which I feel it is the height of arrogance to not even have competed in three years and then expect to just waltz in at Nationals and finish first or second.

11. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I agree. Even if he were brilliant at Nationals, clean with (a) quad(s). That's still ONE competition in THREE YEARS of absence. I say he should not even be allowed to be considered for the Olympics if he does not compete in any competitions this fall. It's just not fair. One set of programs at one competition is what they would be basing their selection on if he were to show up at Nats and make the team. What a slap in the face to skaters who have been competing these past three years, working their butts off to do well and to have results in competition that support their case for making the Olympics rather than hurt it. There are around 10 guys at Nationals who have had a great competition in the past 3 years, and many of them will not even be considered for the team, but if Evan makes it only competing at Nationals, that's the comparable situation. Even if he's great, well okay, Jeremy was great at 2012 Nats, Ross was great at 2012 NHK, Josh was great at 2013 JWC and Nats, Jason was great at 2013 JWC, Armin was very good at 2012 Nats, Adam was very strong at 2012 Nats, Ricky was great at 2012 Finlandia, Max was great at 2013 Nats, etc. etc. It's not really fair

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It is the "height of arrogance" for any poster on a message board to make/assume competition/life decisions for any skater.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:lol:

14. Sylvia

Last comp. of the 2012-13 season kicks off tonight/overnight - from the World Team Trophy thread:
    Men’s short – 3:35 a.m.
    Aaron: 4:02 a.m.
    Abbott: 4:48 a.m.

ETA: (All times Eastern)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  15. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I don't think your definition of "fair" enters into it. If Evan skates well and shows that he is one of the two best skaters the US has to enter in the Olympics, then he should go. He's allowed to try. It doesn't really matter how hard everybody else has been working. Whoever shows that they're the best, that's who should go.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

:respec:

17. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Um, how can posters on a message board "make decisions" for a skater? Wow, I didn't know we had so much power. So, if I post it here, Aaron will skate to Mackelmore's Thrift Shop for his exhibition program next year? You heard it here first, folks - I've decided; make it so!

18. skatesindreams

There are several posters here, who given what they have said in this thread, seem to believe that they possess that knowledge and influence.

19. Sylvia

20. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I think they probably just don't express themselves well. Not to mention, the ignore feature is wonderful. ;)

21. skatesindreams

It is.
    However, some of the people one wishes to "ignore"; post so much, and are quoted by others; so that certain threads are "empty" if you do!

22. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Some threads are "empty" even if you don't. :shuffle:

23. Sylvia

Relevant excerpt from the Skating magazine blog post (link is posted in the Kiss and Cry forum, currently open to all until July 1st):

24. Sylvia

Aaron finished 4th overall (236.62; 238.36 is his SB at Worlds) and Abbott 6th (231.84, up from his previous SB of 227.63).

Quotes distributed to the media and tweeted by Lynn Rutherford:
    ETA these 2 quotes from the Skating magazine blog, Day 2:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  25. Sylvia

The Skating Lesson's 42-minute interview with Jason Brown (April 11, 2013), plus jump practice videos: http://www.theskatinglesson.com/jason-brown-interview/
    ETA: "Exuberant" is the first adjective that comes to mind. :) (I've cross-posted this interview in the Jason & Joshua Uber thread in the Trash Can.)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  26. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Thanks Sylvia! Set it to load before
    I left for work this morning...only eleven more hours til I can watch it!

27. Sylvia

28. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Really impressed with Douglas Razzano and Adam Rippon for their support of USFSA's non-elite activities. My facebook is light up with pictures of them hanging around Adult Nationals, and they even handed out the medals for the Junior/Senior Championship Men.

(However, makes me really sad I decided not to go to nats this year!)

29. Sylvia

Minori @Jeremys_JPfans tweeted that Abbott revealed the following at his fan meeting in Tokyo:
    https://twitter.com/Jeremys_JPfans/status/323460607250669568

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  30. skatesindreams

That sounds amazing!