U.S. Men 2012-13 news, updates & general discussion

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 16, 2012.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

My fabulous transcriber for my podcasts just got to #45, which was my live coverage of the 2011 US Nationals. I interviewed Kori Ade (Jason Brown's coach) for a long time while there, and I wanted to share her comments from the transcription in this thread:

2. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Send it to Aaron as a good luck charm,

3. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Nadine White, Goebel won a bronze olympic medal, not a silver.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Nadine also forgot Boitano, as pointed out in this Trash Can thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ian-the-next&p=3857249&viewfull=1#post3857249
    A new Max Aaron article was posted in his GSD thread yesterday: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...mp-Max-Aaron&p=3857109&viewfull=1#post3857109

Thanks, manleywoman, for posting your Kori Ade podcast excerpt about her evolution as Jason Brown's coach! I'll cross-post the link in the Jason and Josh thread in the Trash Can.

ETA that Jason Brown has finished writing his Junior Worlds blog! http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130225&content_id=41967172&vkey=ice_news

Cute video posted today in the 2013 Junior Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  5. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Interesting article with Max, I agree his style is more European, however at this point I'd say he's more of a KVDP than a Joubert :p. Joubert is very charismatic and charming with strong basics and is remotely polished. Not to mention devastatingly handsome...
    Anyways not saying Max can't become a skater like Joubert in time, but for now, I think KVDP is a more appropriate comparison - amazing jumps and lots of power, but the rest is all a bit rough around the edges. Best of luck to Max at Worlds, I have a feeling he'll deliver!

6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Interesting comparison, but I think that Max has more speed than KVDP and is better on certain spins.

7. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I've got it! I know who Max skates just like!

Max Aaron!

And there's nothing wrong with that...

8. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Quite remarkable! No wonder the two of them have such a strong bond. They are truly in it together. So glad you transcribed this for us.

The only thing that has me scratching my head is... Ryan Bradley? I wouldn't expect Jason to have a conventional idol, but I was thinking more along the lines of Rohene Ward!

9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Fairly decent sp starting positions for the U.S. men, with Max 4th in warm-up group 4, and Ross the final skater in the final warm-up group 6. :)

10. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

The first thing I read on the 'net when I logged on earlier today was this: http://gma.yahoo.com/allergic-teen-dies-eating-cookie-050855791--abc-news-wellness.html

Since Joshua Farris has a similar allergic allergy, I find it scary, no wonder he travels with a big suitcase full of his own food. I recall reading that IN article wherein he mentions even touching someone that touched milk he could have a reaction. :(

Sorry for digressing a bit, but thought I'd share. :)

Back on track, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAX & ROSS, KICK BUTT IN THE FS!!!!!!!:kickass:

11. aftershocks

OMG, my heart goes out to Ross. Obviously, his quad was not secure and his nerves were uncharacteristically rattled. The severe low-balling by the judges in the sp was disastrous (I think Ross should have been no lower than 10 or 11 in sp). Why was Ross behind Peter Liebers in sp when PL didn't even attempt a quad and to boot doesn't have as good skating skills as Ross???

I wished that neither Ross nor Max would be thinking about trying to bring back a third spot. That was not something that should have weighed on them at all. If Adam and Jeremy couldn't deliver a third spot last year, why should Ross and Max be expected to? The fact third spot for U.S. men was lost in the first place rests squarely on USFS shoulders re .19 result at 2011 U.S. Nationals.

No hemming and hawing now either re who should have been sent instead of Ross. U.S. men and pairs in particular are gonna be a crapshoot for awhile until someone comes to the fore who can handle the pressure, the required jumps, the evils of CoP, the lack of savvy fed politiking support, and the dissing from ISU judges, and still perform lights out.

And good for Max! Take that ISU judges! But yeah, it'll take a lot more than that too. U.S. needs some miracle workers to fight back against all the disrespect.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I'm happy for Max- top 10 at his first World's, having not even competed on the GP yet. Really looking forward to what he does next. I'm also happy that he pretty much proved he was deserving of his national title.

I know he gets hammered for "poor components" but quite honestly, his facial expressions were awesome and he really does get into the character of what he was skating. It was like watching the dancers in the movies.

And I've never seen a skater bounce off the wall that effortlessly...must be the hockey training, and it is good he didn't let the hit phase him.

13. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Me too. :( Now he's going to be the goat and blamed for US men not getting the third spot back. But we were highly unlikely to get it back no matter which two we sent.

Ross was quite good at US Nationals, but I think the pressure of being an Olympic hopeful got to him. Either that or he's dealing with an injury. :(

14. olympic

I think while Ross didn't do himself any favors with his performances at London, I don't think the 'damage' is permanent in the eyes of the USFSA. However, it was a missed opportunity to establish himself as a leading US man. Instead, he's still stuck in this ever-growing pack of elite US men who always seem on the verge of breaking through, yet never ever do.

My guess is for next season, TPTB in the US are going to be keeping a closer eye on Max (no brainer), Ricky (by virtue of 4CC's), and Josh (future investment).

15. pinky166

Max has 2 GPs for sure for next season which is great, Ross does not. I just hope the USFS is smart and 1.) does not hold back Jason Brown on the JGP again to help get Miner a second GP and Rippon a 1st or 2nd and 2.) politiks for Farris to get 2 GPs before Miner and Rippon because he's been more consistent this season honestly and crushed Rippon's SB and Miner's last two international scores considerably with the numbers put up by his JW win. Just take a chance and go with the young guys who deliver for once - certainly panned out for Max Aaron.

I agree the damage isn't permanent or too severe for Ross, he's still just 22 and he can do well when he delivers - it likely just means he won't be getting PCS favors at Nationals next year which quite frankly is a good thing. I think he had the SOHL in the FS at NHK and the USFS got excited about that - it's understandable, but one good program at one good competition does not a skater make, they need to be better about looking at the whole picture and how these guys are scored and viewed internationally - both when they deliver and when they don't. Placing in the top 6 was going to be a big ask for any of the guys and only a clean Jeremy could have likely managed it. Farris or Dornbush would have likely done better but it wouldn't been enough for 3 spots and Ross not doing so well here combined with their good showings at JW and 4CC are likely to play in their favor anyways in terms of GP selection and heading into Nationals and the Olympics next year. On another note quad mayhem may be on it's way out so perhaps the US can have a "star" emerge in the coming years that won't need to be able to rattle off 4 quads per competition to be in the mix. It will be interesting to see, that's for sure. Oh, and I hope people give Max a break regarding his artistry, his component marks are very respectable and I'm sure he'll continue to work on improving that side of his skating, but for the meantime, it's just fine.

16. jlai

jlai Title-less

I doubt he'd get blamed for it, considering the better placement is only 7th.

I hope Max isn't gonna become another one of those one podium finish wonder at nationals. I like Max (and Dornbush and to a lesser extent, Rippon). On one hand, it's great so many guys get a chance at top 3 and go to worlds or 4cc; OTOH, to develop talent you can't keep sending diff skaters year after year

17. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

We need a strong contender who can finish inn the top 4 consistently internationally and we don't have that now. Max did his job finishing 7th. But i'm not sure he's the one to be that man. Maybe it will take the younger guys like Josh or Jason or even Dornbush. I don't see it being Minor and Abbott is about done his body can't hold up much longer.

18. aftershocks

Ross shouldn't be blamed for anything. It was not his nor Max's job to bring back 3 spots. Adam and Jeremy couldn't when they had every opportunity to do so.

Also, Jammers, I'm not entirely sure that Max is gonna be taken out of the running for anything, especially if a false music start at Nats and crashing against the boards at Worlds didn't deter him. He brushed off both incidents like pesky flies and seemingly just forgot about what happened and kept focused on the business at hand. I was never a huge fan of Max, but now "I'm a believer!" :D IMO, Max will continue to be strong next season, and if he is, he should be sent to Worlds so that he can build momentum.

More than likely if Richard stays strong next season, or anyone else among top level contenders rises significantly above the pack, they will be given a chance along with Max. It's too sad to think that Jeremy going to Worlds in 2011 might have saved the third spot in the first place and then with an extra guy on the team in 2012, it might have taken some pressure off of Adam and Jeremy. Who knows, but maybe had Jeremy gone to Worlds these last 3 years, he'd be stronger mentally. Not going to Worlds this year and seeing the results is probably more deflating for Jeremy than for anyone else. But again, it's not Max's nor Ross' fault or responsibility.

19. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Is it opposite day and nobody told me? :lol::lol::lol:

20. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Max did very well for himself. It's only up from here, right? I wish he would find a different coach, though.

I thought Ross would be top 10. Surprised. It has to be tough to go through that.

Selecting a World team in January is always a crap shoot. How can you tell who will be skating well in March?

Jeremy might have been recovered and back on his quad in the short by March. Or not. We'll never know.

21. aftershocks

^^ Well I think the changes in the sport have outgrown the way its presently structured in terms of country-based, political-based World team selections, rather than allowing all skaters to rise on the basis of their talent regardless of country affiliation.

It does seem that USFS constantly sending different men skaters every year to Worlds is not gonna help any of them build confidence and momentum.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. olympic

Well said, Pinky

Bold mine.

This is why the USFSA really needs to come up with a different system for selecting the team for all 4 disciplines. The winner take all mentality is less effective with CoP than it was under 6.0. I say use Nationals of course, but maybe the USFSA can establish a formula that figures a skaters' results from the previous Fall's international competitions and factor that all into a 'grand score' after Nationals. Then if there are 2 skaters extremely close for the 2nd (or 3rd) spot, send those skaters to 4CC's for a skate-off. I think a selection process that spans over a period of time captures those skaters that are much more consistent.

And also beef up the USFSA injury monitoring process.

23. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Last few posts summed up:

"My favourite was too much of a headcase (again) to make the Worlds team! NEW SELECTION SYSTEM NOW!"

24. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I think it's always going to be a crapshoot. Russia didn't go by its Nationals results either, and that blew up in their face, too.

I'm still scratching my head at why people think Jeremy going to 2011 Worlds would have saved that third spot.

If I remember correctly, Ricky was 9th, Ross 11th and Bradley buried even further down. Jeremy would have needed 3rd or better to save the third spot (because Ricky would have been bumped to 10th place... 10+3=13). The odds of Jeremy attaining 3rd were as long as any other scenario out there. First of all, his track record at the marquis events is not great. Moreover, at that event Chan and Kozuka skated lights out and were not going to be beaten. Hometown boy Gachinski also skated quite well with a quad and was not going to be passed in Moscow.

Basically we were pretty much screwed, no matter what. :p

25. pinky166

I think the standard is just really high right now, and there's too much BS reputation scoring going on for certain skaters so for someone like Ross, sending them to Worlds and expecting him to help bring back 3 spots is a tall order. Max skated about as well as he could and was 7th. Ross would have needed to have been 6th to get the 3rd spot back, and only then just barely. Even if he skated 2 clean programs that might not have happened because Takahashi's total score was 5 points higher than what Ross scored at NHK with his perfect FS. Plus with the way the judging was last night it's too hard to predict how a clean Ross would have been marked anyways. He should have just been focusing on skating the best he could do, not worrying about 3 spots knowing the field is stacked and the judging system is questionable and yada yada.

I still think the judging was questionable at Nats and Ross benefitted from it but after what happened at 4CCs you could see Ross was rattled which speaks to having a 2 competition selection process like other Nations do, see who can handle the pressure better and skate overall better at 2 competitions (Nats and 4CC). So yes, Dornbush and Farris did a lot better at 4CC and JW than Ross did at Worlds - but they also didn't have a lot of pressure, so maybe getting sent to 4CCs and being told it's a skate-off, the result would be different. When all is said and done I think basing team selections on the results of one competition under COP isn't a great idea. Any way you slice it, it's a crapshoot, but having a skate-off at an ISU event does help matters by putting skaters under pressure again and seeing how an international panel responds to their efforts. Then you take that and Nationals and make the best decision.

26. olympic

FTR, not my post. I tend to gravitate towards Ricky, but I don't have a favorite.

27. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

What the US lacks right now is a skater who can consistently get into the top 4 internationally. Skaters like Aaron, Dornbush and Minor are good enough to get into the top 8 but we need a real star who's a threat to get on the podium at least and who won't bomb or have a meltdown.

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Ross' last name is spelled Miner.

"Rome wasn't built in a day." There are good young prospects in the pipeline, as we all know. Let them develop at their own natural pace and let's not shove them into the Worlds spotlight until they have the tools -- both physical and mental -- to deal with the pressure. Kudos to Max Aaron for successfully dealing with the pressure this week in his Worlds debut in London!

29. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

We got spoiled with Lysacek. During the time frame from the 2006 Olympics to the 2010 Olympics, he earned a medal at every international event except the 2006 Olympics (4th) and the 2007 World Championship (5th). Some may argue that Lysacek was just lucky. However, he consistently delivered when it counted at the major international competitions.

Give the other skaters time to develop. Lysacek was not always a consistent competitor. That developed over time.

30. olympic

I agree Sylvia, but part of the problem is that since the US doesn't have a star, the young inexperienced skaters get shoved into the Worlds spotlight, ready or not.