U.S. Men 2012-13 news, updates & general discussion

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 16, 2012.

1. stevlin

stevlin Member

At 4 cc in Japan Ricky is in 3rd place after the short program. Yay! Miner is in 9th and Aaron is in 10th. Go USA.

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yeah, great program for Ricky after not being at his best at Nationals. I think Miner and Aaron actually skated well but were heavily penalized for the one mistake each made in their programs. Otherwise, I thought they both skated great and should actually be much closer in points to several of the skaters placed in front of them. When are U.S. guys gonna be given reputation points I wonder? We'll see how it pans out in the free skate. No matter what happens, it's a good trial run for Ross and Max prior to Worlds. They seem in good shape physically, especially considering they're just two weeks out from the grueling U.S. Nationals competition. For Ricky, just being able to compete at 4CCs is icing on the cake at this point.

I wish them all well.

3. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Aaron-4th; Dornbush-5th & Miner-9th. They are currently standing on SB list:Miner-11th; Aaron-13th & Dornbush-14th! Little Nathan Chen is 21st! I'm proud of our young up & coming skaters...in all disciplines!

4. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

^ITA.

I'm so happy that Ricky had a decent placement overall at 4cc--really hoping for Ricky in Olympic team the next season. I wasn't feeling Aaron at Nats but wow, at 4cc, he was really inspiring. I wouldn't worry too much about Ross. He has had a pretty consistent season all along and this could just be a setback for him to kick again.

5. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The placements for US men at 4CCs were OK. I am most glad for Dornbush simply because it almost vindicates the USFS having faith in him and giving him opportunities season after season when he (almost) didn't deserve them.

However, IMO the results here for Aaron and Miner did not add to their chances for top ten for Worlds - when you add back in Chan and the bunch of Europeans.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

IDK about Miner. It is indeed a blip to his steady improvement over the course of the season, but I guess we'll see if it is just that (or something else) on the World's stage when the time comes.

I'm one of the first to critique Max's skating, but he did nail 3 quads in his 1st high-pressure competition, traveling all the way to Japan just 2 weeks after Nationals. I think he'll be OK for Worlds and finish in the top 10

7. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

My jaw just dropped when I saw that he didn't have seasons best scores on wedgie data in 4cc result page. And then th way he showed himself there was just remarkable.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Here were the quotes provided to the media after the Four Continents Men's FS:

Max Aaron (FS: SB 162.19 points, SP: SB 72.46 points, 4th place):
    Richard Dornbush (FS: SB 151.01 points, SP: SB 83.01 points, 5th place):
    Ross Miner (FS: 140.35 points, SP: SB 74.01 points, 9th place):

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  9. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Dornbush would have medalled if he did his 3 jump combo.

10. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

Yep, his 3a/2/2 combo, if landed cleanly, typically gets him about 13-14 points. I wish he could have medalled but I'm glad he got the opportunity to increase his season best score and end his season on a better note.

11. Sylvia

And Aaron would have won the bronze had he been cleaner on his last 3 jumping passes. :)

12. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

Yes, 3-5 were so close!!

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Not even that, if he had done the 2toe2loop after the 1axel, it would already have been enough.

14. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I think Aaron has done pretty well for his first major outing. He came from far behind to end up fourth overall. He only recently took up firgure skating (after his injuries prevented him from competing in hockey). Kudos to him. He has much to learn and unlearn (hockey skating techniques which are suitable for figure skating).

15. Sylvia

Max Aaron has been competing in figure skating for over 10 years, though he started in hockey first - from his Team USA bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=101022&mode=I
    "Started hockey skating at the age of 4 and figure skating at the age of 9 after seeing how much fun his sisters had skating ... Sisters Molly and Madeline are both pairs skaters ... Played elite hockey for 14 years ... Suffered a fractured back four years ago and was off the ice for a year."
    (His back injury was during the 2008-09 season but he still competed at Midwestern Sectionals in Nov. 2008, finishing 8th in Junior Men.)

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Sylvia

Unfortunately Brandon Mroz has withdrawn from next week's Challenge Cup in The Hague, due to injury I heard.

Alex Johnson tweeted on Feb. 14th "It's been a long 3.5 years...but totally worth it! #perseverance #teamusa #challengecup2013" - photo of his new Team USA jacket: http://instagram.com/p/VupYtmkCVh/

17. aftershocks

^^ Thanks Sylvia.

What are the requirements skaters must meet in order to receive a team jacket?

18. Sylvia

To be assigned by USFS to an international competition (Senior, Junior or Novice).

19. dots

dots Well-Known Member

so this means Alex M. Johnson is competing next week? :eek: I didn't know that!

20. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Yes! Hope he does well. :cheer2:

21. aftershocks

22. Sylvia

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  23. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "recently" ? He can do quads and 3As, so he couldn't have taken up figure-skating just that recently :)

24. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

25. aftershocks

^^ Ah, his program and his backstage prep should be included, but who knows whether they got enough footage on him to edit in. There are plenty of guys at all placement levels included, so I guess it's a glaring but unintentional oversight. Alexander may be in one of the group shots, or in the background somewhere. Yes, Alexander should be in the foreground.

OTOH, quite a lot of images of Wesley Campbell are included in both vids, and a bit of Sean Rabbit, Keegan Messing, Brandon Mroz, and Armin are included in the first vid. But I don't recall seeing Stephen Carriere in either vid, and only a bit of Richard Dornbush in both vids, so I suppose lots of complaints to go around from fans of particular skaters. IceNetwork's response might well be: "Purchase a season pass subscription. It's not too late." :lol:

I don't get anything from the second link due to a missing backslash in the original link. I found the men's free skate highlights here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysdkVHICnHA

ETA:
    Viewers on youtube are also complaining re the content of the second vid. After looking at the second vid, a lot of it seems to be a rehash of backstage shots from the first vid, so yeah kind of sloppy non-inclusive editing. How was it compiled and who did the editing, I wonder? Non-figure skating fan video editors? :lol:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  26. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Shame about the fact that they only saw fit to include four or five skaters of a field of nineteen in the second vid. I mean, if they were the TOP four or five, I could understand it, but Max is barely shown (disgraceful, considering HE is the National champion!) and I don't think Joshua even got a look in. And to leave Alexander Johnson out when he had arguably the free skate of the night is ridiculous. Honestly, if I was Max, I'd be really insulted. This is the UFSA's OFFICIAL highlights video, and he's barely in it.

But then this is not the first time the USFSA have shown dodgy video-making...they had a "Senior Men's 2012-2013 season preview" which included a few more "obscure" men's skaters, even including Nathan Chen (who was a Junior)...and left out the guy who just became their new pewter medallist...

:rolleyes:

27. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I was sort of waiting to see if Tom Wehrle would post a set of backstage videos this year. Were these put together by Tom?

28. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

http://schaatsen.nl/challenge-cup-2013/uitslagen

Alexander Johnson just WON the LP over Brian Joubert at Challenge Cup, scored 152+ pts. Won the silver medal overall with 228+ pts. Will this go towards him getting international assignments next season???

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Sylvia

Unfortunately scores from Senior B competitions don't count for ISU Season Best scores, but this is great result and performance for Alex! He should receive senior international opportunities next season, without a doubt.

Re-posting from the Johnson cheer thread:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  30. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Alex's score here is actually a point higher than Jeremy Abbott's SB score (18th on SB list). Alex 1000% deserves to get Skate America this fall.