U.S. Men 2012-13 news, updates & general discussion

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

There are separate news/articles threads in GSD for the 2013 World team members - links:
    Max Aaron
    Ross Miner

The always entertaining and informative blogger Jason Brown's first installment from Junior Worlds in Milan! Cross-posting from the Junior Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry and the Farris/Brown Uber thread: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130225&content_id=41967172&vkey=ice_news

@joshDfarris tweeted today:
    "Awesome first day in Milan!! Going in to the city tomorrow, can't wait!"

I've compiled a Men's total scores list in the Junior Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...Stats-thread&p=3848333&viewfull=1#post3848333
  2. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Jason's blog made me very hungry.
  3. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Jason is such a good writer. His blogs come off like he's a Rhodes Scholar gosh! Glad Josh appears to be enjoying himself despite presumably not being able to eat most of the yummy food that has been described, I'm thinking back to that silly video he and Jason made last year at Junior Worlds banquet where Josh could only eat the veggies. Praying for no allergic reactions this time around.

Also, happy birthday to Max! Enjoyed the part about him buying his first suit...weird he went 21 years without a proper one! He seems like such a goof :)
  4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I think they need to make it warmer backstage. Last year the highlight of the videos was watching them warm up in shorts. Skating costumes do nothing to show off how athletic these guys are. In shorts their legs are insane.

Also loved Keegan jumping over the space divider with no effort in the first video.
  5. Sylvia

6. misskarne

7. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

:kickass:GOOD LUCK TO JOSH FARRIS AT JR. WORLDS THIS WEEK!!!:kickass:

Here's hoping he brings home the gold. And I truly think he will do so, especially after reading that he plans on seeing Leonardo da Vinci's "The Last Supper" in person. Ahhh, I wish I was him, how lucky! :saint:
  8. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I guess it is a secret known to few that going to see The Last Supper guarantees a good skate.

:rolleyes:
  9. misskarne

Well you never know. He is probably using it as a reminder to double-check his dinner ingredients the night before the competition. ;)
  10. NadineWhite

we shall see..... ;)
  11. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I went to see the last supper three years ago.....I wonder how my skating lesson will go on Thursday :rofl:
  12. Zemgirl

Since it's been a while, I recommend a quick hop to a local museum for some art appreciation, or at least that you view the masterpiece online.
  13. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

:drama: I keep the entrance ticket in my wallet as a memento....does this count for nothing?!
  14. misskarne

Aha! So that is the secret. I would have had my loop jump months ago if only I had known to go look at this painting! :lol:
  15. NadineWhite

Here's hoping the three Americans can pull off a sweep tomorrow, which hasn't been done since Kristi, Tonya, and Nancy did it back in 1991 at Big Worlds! :respec::kickass:

GOOOOOOOOOOOO JOSH, SHOTARO, AND JASON!!!:smokin:
  16. Zemgirl

Except, you know, in 2008, when Flatt, Zhang and Nagasu finished 1-2-3 at JW. And 2007, when it was Zhang, Nagasu and Wagner. And 1998, with three Russian ladies on the JW podium. If you're going to equate senior and junior Worlds, at least get the history right.
  17. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Facts. :blah:

;)
  18. Zemgirl

I know! Facts ruin everything. :D
  19. NadineWhite

Ooops, didn't bother to check the junior girls because its the men I'm interested in, and the facts state that no American junior men have ever pulled off an upset sweep yet, hope that changes tomorrow. :cool:

And if they do I equate that to the first time Kristi, Tonya, and Nancy did it at Big Worlds in 1991.

Tata!:kickass:

GOOOOOOOOO JOSH, SHOTARO, JASON!!!:respec:
  20. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

And now we can't even get one american girl on the podium at Worlds. :(
  21. Zemgirl

If you're only interested in the men, why did you equate them with the ladies (which is the correct term, not "girls")? Why is it considered an upset for the Americans to do well, especially considering that the best 18 year old in the world left the junior circuit long ago and last year's champion isn't competing this year, either? There are some other questions I could add, but I'll stop at that.
  22. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Maybe this comparison would make more sense to me if I had recently seen The Last Supper.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  23. Sylvia

24. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

The US men just swept the podium at Jr. Worlds! -

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wjc2013/CAT001RS.HTM

1. Josh - 228.32
    2. Jason - 224.15
    3. Shotaro - 204.34

Jason actually beat Josh in the LP - 154 to 152! Josh fell on the 4T

Will these marks get Josh and Jason Sr. GP assignments next year?
  25. jlai

jlai Title-less

Josh will get gp for sure. Jason's chance improved with his season's best at junior world. (There can't be too many skaters who can beat that season's best who aren't already in top 24)
  26. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Woot! Way to knock it out of the park, guys!
  27. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I hope this means GP for Josh and Jason and that Shotaro will skate as a senior at Nationals next season! Way to go guys!
  28. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

They also medalled at this event last year and skated well enough to be guaranteed at least one spot for this season's GPs. Didn't stop the USFS from keeping them junior.
  29. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Or maybe they chose to stay junior. It might be a good idea for Jason to stay junior and really polish the triple axel. Maybe he can work on adding a quad with less pressure in juniors v. seniors.
  30. Sylvia

Jason Brown has stated that it was his and his coach's decision to stay junior this season - I assume this was in part for Jason to gain consistency on his 3A in competition, which looks like a smart decision now since he won silver and gold on the JGP without landing a clean 3A and landed all 3 of his 3A attempts for the first time at Junior Worlds. He and Josh Farris both got to compete in the Sochi Olympic venue at the JGP Final as well, which they wouldn't have done had they moved up. Farris should gain a ton of confidence by winning the Junior World title on top of his successful Nationals, so I think both made the right decisions for this season, in retrospect.

It also looks like both guys should be in the top 24 of the ISU World Standings rankings heading into next season - my calculations have the WS order, with 2010-11 points dropped and 2011-12 points reduced to 70%, as: Miner, Abbott, Dornbush, Farris, Brown (good chance to be in top 24), Rippon (will drop out of top 24 for sure), Aaron.

ETA Season Best total scores (200+) order for the U.S. men heading into Worlds is:
    Miner 235.37, Aaron 234.65, Dornbush 234.04, Farris 228.32, Abbott 227.63, Brown 224.15 - around cut-off for top 24? - Chen 222.00 (returning to JGP), Rippon 210.47, Omori 204.34 (likely returning to JGP), Mahbanoozadeh 203.65.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  31. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

I don't see Josh staying junior next season. He's won everything he possibly could on the junior circuit, he came in fourth at senior nationals and he's in the top 24. If USFSA doesn't submit his name for the senior GP, I would be very surprised. I think a case could be made for keeping Jason junior another season but I could see him moving up too.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
  32. misskarne

I think the USFSA would be nuts to keep either of them back if they want to go up. Damon Allen's remarks about a "nice end to Josh's junior career" etc suggest that he's going Senior whether the USFSA wants him to or not, and although a case probably could be made for Jason to stay down I think there's nothing to be gained there, he's won pretty much everything except for the JWC, and is that really enough of a carrot to send him round again in the Olympic season?
  33. NadineWhite

34. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I think the emoticon generator just perished from overuse.
  35. Sylvia

"U.S. men pull off unprecedented sweep in Milan": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130302&content_id=42192778&vkey=ice_news
  36. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Jason would be nuts to stay a Junior. He's already better then most of the top Senior men so why stay as on the JGP?
  37. misskarne

I'll bet it was!
  38. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Why stay Junior? It's an Olympic year. They have a serious shot at making the team.
  39. Sylvia

Re-posting Jem X's article link from the Junior Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry - Phil Hersh spoke to Jason Brown via phone from Milan: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...n-helps-make-history-20130302,0,1623762.story
  40. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Very sensible.