U.S. Men 2012-13 news, updates & general discussion

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Basically, it means that all 5 of the Senior men at SWP Regionals can advance to Pacific Coast Sectionals because there are 4 or fewer Senior men registered at both Central Pacific and Northwest Pacific Regionals.
    From the current USFS Rulebook:
    "2471 Fill-Up Rule: Competitors at a regional championship may progress directly to their sectional championship if, at the close of entries, there are four or fewer competitors in senior, junior, novice intermediate or juvenile singles events.
    A. Additional competitors from the same event in other regions of the same section shall be permitted to enter in order to bring the number of competitors up to a maximum of 12 (or more, if ties make it necessary).
    B. These additional competitors will be selected in the order of their placement. Should this result in two or more competitors qualifying for one additional place, all will be included, even if this causes the total number of competitors in the event to exceed 12."

No. AFAIK, he hasn't competed since Pacific Coast Sectionals in November 2011. Here's my compilation of scores for the Senior men who are known to have competed so far this season: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/2012-2013-senior-men-scores/

2. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

Thanks Sylvia!

I see. I thought "you need more than 4 skaters for the comp to be held" rule would be considered at "each" regional comp.

And I will miss Austin if he has decided not to compete any more... (don't know if he has)

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I did not expect that!

6. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

7. dots

dots Well-Known Member

8. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Keegan Messing won the bronze medal at Nebelhorn. Here is his LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yN_rkI9sdA

Not bad. big step out on 4t, but stayed off his butt, and hand down on another triple. Freak fall after a split jump, though :(

9. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Not that I'm one to doubt you Sylvia :), but I'm just wondering why he'd need to be invited if he was representing France? Also I'm thinking back to quite a few years ago when Shantel Jordan & Jeremy Barrett were invited to French Nationals (and won IIRC) when they weren't age-eligible for international competitions.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

^^^ I think because Zahradnicek may not be released to compete for France until next season so he is allowed to participate in domestic competitions in the meantime?

Newly announced Senior B assignments for the following men:
    Max Aaron - Cup of Nice in France (Oct. 24-28);
    Armin Mahbanoozadeh and Douglas Razzano - Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria (Nov. 6-10).

Dornbush and Weir compete their short programs today - see this post in the TV Alerts forum for a link to watch (live and/or on demand?): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3702962#post3702962

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Johnny sp at Finlandia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaCdSZ-sZJc

Richard Dornbush sp at Finlandia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5XjY3EReFo

Overall sp results:

http://www.figureskatingresults.fi/results/1213/FT2012/SEG001.HTM

Bonus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFBk1ujPhVA Hanyu sp (trying to emulate Dai?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbDfhulAmWk Fernandez sp (well done -- needs work on spins and presentation skills)

ETA: JEREMY ABBOTT new programs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtWzcVMkbfE Spy sp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HclDBc_ek2s Bring Him Home fp (abbreviated version)

And the plot thickens for U.S. men. Good luck to all.

12. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I really like Ricky's sp! Watched it three times already. Beautiful melody of With Or Without You also helps ;)

13. aftershocks

^^ Yes, right! I like RD's sp more than his fp at this point. However, so good to see him back on track for a competitive season. :)

Great to see Johnny back on competitive ice. Watching Javi and Hanyu, and then Johnny reminds me of Johnny circa 2004-2006 (especially JWe's Rondo with red/black costume). Hope Johnny gets stronger throughout the season. This is a good start for him.

Truly, I think Jeremy Abbott is better than everyone. I wish he could internalize that truth and rise to the top on the strength of belief in himself and his extraordinary talent.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Unfortunately Nathan Chen was unable to finish his 2nd JGP competition -- @USFigureSkating tweeted earlier today:
    Hopefully it's not a serious injury and he will be ready and able to compete in the Junior Men's event at Pacific Coast Sectionals next month to qualify for Nationals. He has a bye through Central Pacific Regionals this month for being the defending national champ returning in Jr.

ETA: I'm cross-posting this fun item from another thread... Nathan Chen recently made the Oct. 1st issue of Sports Illustrated's "Faces in the Crowd" page :)cheer: for the inclusion of a figure skater!): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/scorecard/faces/2012/10/1/index.html

15. aftershocks

Hope Nathan heals well and soon. Thanks for the SI link. Very cool -- his accomplishments are amazing.

Any word on how he suffered the leg injury (in practice?), and what kind of injury is it?

16. dots

dots Well-Known Member

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

What a hot piece of ass!

Sorry but someone has to say it! :slinkaway :swoon:

17. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

It's just a jump to the left
    And then a step to the right
    With your hands on your hips
    You bring your knees in tight
    But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane,

:scream:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

No they don't. :saint:

19. misskarne

misskarne #408

I just watched Johnny's program, and if he thinks he can turn up at Nationals and win with that, he's got another think coming.

Bland, bland, tacky.

20. olympic

21. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

22. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhh that was exciting! :watch:

Round One:

Weir vs. Dornbush:

Dornbush winner!!!

Next stop Abbott vs. Lysacek :EVILLE:

23. olympic

Looking at the TES in my link above, Ricky w/ 1 fall actually beat a clean Hanyu in TES!

Very exciting!

24. aftershocks

^^ Good for Richard! I still like Richard's sp better. His fp is good and he obviously performed well, but I found it a bit too frenetic in some places, plus Jeremy Abbott did this style of program far more masterfully last season. I see Richard attempting to incorporate the story-telling elements from his fp of two seasons ago, but his effort for this fp so far doesn't work for me on the level of artistic interpretation. Still it is early yet, and in any case, fs judges don't really care about artistry as long as technical difficulty and consistency is achieved.

I'm sure Richard will get better and better as the season progresses, and it's great to see him so strong and confident, and back on track. He definitely has two solid programs, and I'm glad the skate boot problem was solved too. :)

25. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

Indeed! Ricky's BV was nearly four points higher than Yuzuru's, which is about how much he lost on the fall with quad (-1 fall + -3 GOE). But he made it with major +GOE. He got a whopping 1.63 points for that awesome 3Z-3T combo I mention earlier and a 1.17 for the 4T-2T and the choreographic step sequence.

26. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the toe be called the Dornbush Toe since no one else has done a 3toe with both-hands-over-head yet :)

And Nobunari Oda has the Oda Loop.

27. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

Okay, I'll play -- What a beautiful Rippon Lutz-Dornbush Toe! :D

28. aftershocks

:lol: Ha ha, yes but the younger guys have the overall advantage, IMHO, because "you can't teach old dogs new tricks." If Jeremy Abbott brings his A game consistently, IMO, he's far better than most guys in the men's field. IOW, Jeremy Abbott and Dai Takahashi, IMO, are the main guys who combine superb artistry with superb technical brilliance. The key is in displaying consistency and mental strength under competitive pressure, especially for Jeremy. In Dai's case, it is just continuing to be spot on with landing the quads, because he's already mastered the mental game, and his artistry and charisma are out of this world.

I am glad for Johnny that he's gone back to the drawing board/ competitive ice and is looking good. Obviously, he still has similar hurdles to overcome (i.e., judges' and others' personal opinions of him coloring their assessment of his skating, plus he is no longer at his physical peak). That's a lot to overcome, but I wish him well. Again, I'd much prefer watching a senior professional tour with Plush, Johnny, Evan, Lambiel, etc., and having them leave senior eligible tour to the youngins (young guns), and to the veterans who never stopped for a breather, i.e., Jeremy and Dai.

Eh okay it is what it is. And you're right, olympic, it is also "very exciting" re Dornbush showing his competitive chops TES-wise against Hanyu. I think Hanyu has the potential for greatness both technically and artistically, but right now I think he only lacks maturity and experience (same as Richard for that matter). If all the eligible men continue to improve artistically and continue to develop technical consistency, it will be exciting to see all of them going at it. It is exciting to see Richard doing so well. Again, the plot only thickens for U.S. guys.

In any case, I give the younger guys the advantage over the veterans coming back for Sochi -- even in Plush's case. ;)

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  29. aftershocks

Ha ha, but no, Rippon did it first with both arms overhead -- no matter what jump it was. All these guys are just copying Rippon (and Rippon was simply doing Boitano one better). Therefore, anytime anyone jumps with any arm overhead, they all are doing TanoRipp, eh? ;)

ETA:
    Now that everyone is copying Rippon, I'm just waiting for when the move will be given more credit for its difficulty

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  30. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

Well the 3-3 TanoRipp combo sounds pretty good, actually!