U.S. Men 2012-13 news, updates & general discussion

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 16, 2012.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I found this link on IceNetwork to an archive of AT&T Ice Desk interviews, apparently from last fall. It looks like they've updated the Ice Desk to look like an ESPN breaking news set with anchors Tonia K and Sarah H. You have to be a subscriber to see this, but I found it entertaining. I've only looked at the Jason Brown telephone interview so far. I think it's great! There needs to be more widespread fs coverage throughout the year and beyond major events. Sounds like Sarah H has been taking voice lessons, and that's a good thing!

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121113&content_id=40270680&vkey=ice_news

ETA: Loved the telephone interview with Ryan B as well. He's so cool, and he just turned 30, wow! :cool:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  2. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Here's my prediction:

Abbott
    Miner
    Rippon
    Brown
    Farris
    Dornbush
    Aaron
    Armin
    Messing
    Razzano
    Cassar
    Carriere
    Mroz
    Choate
    Warren

JMHO. I think Brown is going to surprise everyone. :)

3. aftershocks

^^ I'd be happy with your prediction and with Brown "surprising" everyone. If Armin skates well, he probably would score higher than both Messing and Aaron. But I'd just like to see Dornbush place higher than you have him. :)

4. aftershocks

Thanks, but what about the fact that Dornbush placed 13th last year. Is it because Dornbush was selected to go to 4CCs and senior GP that he gets a bye this year despite placing below top 5 at Nats last year?

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

^^^ If you click on the Nationals page of my blog, I explain all the byes to Nationals. :) Dornbush's GP in Russia conflicted with Sectionals.

6. aftershocks

^^ Thanks, Sylvia. Well, I think Dornbush surely deserves the bye (but it seems so does at least Messing and Carriere ;)). Ricky has accomplished significant wins as a junior and he's skated very well internationally as a senior, despite his problems at Nationals last year. However, the bye system seems fairly flexible for top skaters. As surely the GP selection event date was known in advance to conflict with the Sectionals event Dornbush would have had to compete at. Anyway, its all good that Dornbush received the bye and I hope he does well at Nationals and regains his confidence.

7. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Well it's due or die time next week. Put up or shut up. They all have to lay it on the line. *chills, can't wait* :respec:

I wonder what history has in store for us all? She's always thrown us a loop when we least expect it...

Just hoping they all put on a SHOW worthy of Nationals. :40beers:

Now off I go to listen to "Lose Yourself" once again in preparation for Nationals. :cool:

:kickass:GOOOOOOOOOO AMERICAN MEN, KICK BOOTY AT NATIONALS!!!!!!!!!!:kickass:

8. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I think Hochstein could surprise. He didn't skate very well at sectionals, but he's got a 3A and a quad, judging from that recent practice video. Go Grant!

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  9. aftershocks

^^ ITA, sure. I had expected to see Grant do better at Eastern Sectionals, but he didn't skate that badly in any case. It's got to be hard to try and peak at the right time, but still skate well enough in qualifying events to make Nationals. I was sorry for Scott Dyer who had made Nationals the past two years, but he had a number of miscues in both his short and free programs, and with the talented Philip Warren moving up from juniors, men seniors at Pacific Coast Sectionals was a very deep field.

10. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

IDK about Hochstein. We've been anticipating a solid 3x from him for 3 seasons now and he has yet to have a real break-out performance. Of course, it would be great to see him put it all together, but I'm not holding my breath.

11. stevlin

stevlin Member

Go Dornbush. I like his style.

12. Bookslut

Bookslut Member

Interesting thought about Brown. Any reason in particular? He did a 3A in the short at the GPF but not in the long, and I can't believe he has a quad.

Really like his skating, but your prediction seems awfully optimistic. Do you know something we don't? Have you talked with his coach or seen him skate recently?

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  14. misskarne

misskarne #408

I am more than willing to accept your opinion! :D

But I hope Joshua Farris comes to the party as well. After all, Joshua and Jason have shared the podium at every single level at US Nationals, except for Juvenile...and Senior... ;)

15. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

My God, I just came from the Canadian Mens thread at their Nationals and was literally blown away!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Kevin Reynolds landed 3 quads in the FS, made it look like child's play, as well as a 3axel in combo. Not to mention Patrick Chan landed 2 quads in the FS.

Now how about the American Men!?! What have they got in store for us all next week? The Canadian men have laid down the gauntlet. Here's hoping the American Men rise to the occasion and do *not* choke...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi0KZrabhlM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdoAqO2X66E

16. insideedgeua

insideedgeua Member

He has no trouble with the 3A now ( very consistent). I watched him land his first clean quad toes just over two weeks ago. Lots of people cheering him on. This is still fairly new though and I doubt you will see it at Nationals.

tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  17. misskarne

misskarne #408

:swoon:

18. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Brown historically skates well at Nationals, but he'll need his 3a this year to do that most likely. I have no doubt it's really nice in practice, but sometimes it takes a while for a jump to get competition ready. I also hate his SP, though his FS is :swoon: lovely. Also I'll be surprised if Rippon ends up that high, it seems the 3a is still a problem and he's abandoned his quad attempts thus far this season (not like they were ever very close last season anyways though), I think if they all skate to their abilities, Aaron, Messing, Farris, and Mahbanoozadeh will all finish ahead of Rippon, and maybe Brown too. I also think Dornbush will finish pretty high so long as he doesn't implode. I don't think he'll be perfect, but if he keeps it together well enough I expect he'd at least finish in the top 6.

My prediction:

Miner
    Abbott
    Aaron
    Dornbush
    Farris
    Messing
    Mahbanoozadeh
    Brown
    Rippon
    Carriere
    Johnson
    Razzano
    Cassar
    Warren
    Hochstein
    Mroz
    Choate
    Brewster
    Rabbit

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

20. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

21. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia for the link to the interview with Armin. I really enjoyed reading it!

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

23. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Thank you Sylvia! I can always count on you to provide interesting information on lots of skaters.

Nationals should be very interesting.... lots of talented skaters working very hard to be the very best that they can be. :)

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

You're welcome, SkateFan66! That's one of the reasons I started this general news thread for the U.S. Men in GSD -- so I could post articles on some of the unheralded or lesser-known but still talented guys.

Since the Junior Men's competition is over, I will post this article about 12-year-old Vincent Zhou's big win last night: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130123&content_id=41110054&vkey=ice_news
    Zhou has won 3 consecutive National titles (Intermediate in 2011, Novice in 2012 and now Junior this year) but will not be old enough for the JGP until the fall of 2014! The new U.S. Novice men's champ, Tomoki Hiwatashi, 13, is older than the Junior men's champ! :lol:

One more men's preview article - Ross Miner: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130122&content_id=41094978&vkey=ice_news

25. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

I really like Ross Miner this year. Tom Dickson's choreography has given him a much better look. He really sold the FS at his GPs and I was impressed. Go Ross!

26. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Icenetwork article on jeremy:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130125&content_id=41165246&vkey=ice_news

I swear I read a few people on FSU saying this after a send off show (about the flying upright), and others dismissing it as "maybe it was for the exhibition" (yep, this thread on the 13th). Glad he found out! So who was it from the board who told him after practice??? The way he says how he found out is very :sekret:

27. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Wow, that's kind of an incredible (but true) story. maybe one of the callers spoke up at practice?

28. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

And now we know which top U.S. skater doesn't read posts about himself on FSU. :hat1:

29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

See, I feel like if it was a caller, he would have said "an official pointed out to me after practice that my spin didn't count". Instead he talks about how grateful he is someone mentioned it. That just sounds like a weird way of putting it if it wasn't some FSU fan, who found his team and was all "um, so you know you're getting no points on that spin, right?"

Although it probably was someone from USFS... I'm going to keep pretending.

What would be really interesting is if it was another coach. You have to wonder what coaches would do in that position- they notice another skater is about to screw themselves, do you say something, or do you see your skater getting an advantage?

30. snoopyskater

snoopyskater Member

It doesn't make Yuka and Jason look very good from a coaching standpoint to have missed something big like that. As top level coaches, they should be keeping up with this.