U.S. Men 2012-13 news, updates & general discussion

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Now that the first Senior B international is in the books, it's time for a new season news and general discussion thread for the U.S. Men.

International Scores to date:
    231.27 Max Aaron, Salt Lake Sr B 1st
    222.00 Nathan Chen, JGP Austria 1st (JR in U.S.)
    218.69 Joshua Farris, JGP Lake Placid 1st
    218.06 Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Salt Lake Sr B 2nd
    213.44 Ross Miner, Salt Lake Sr B 3rd
    203.59 Timothy Dolensky, Salt Lake Sr B 4th
    185.81 Jason Brown, JGP France 2nd
    169.70 Harrison Choate, JGP France 4th
    165.74 Jay Yostanto, JGP Austria 6th (JR in U.S.)
    124.22 James Schetelich, JGP Lake Placid 12th (JR in U.S.)

Coming up:
    JGP Turkey: Brown, Shotaro Omori (JR)
    JGP Slovenia: Farris, Lukas Kaugars (JR)
    Nebelhorn Trophy: Stephen Carriere, Keegan Messing
    Finlandia Trophy: Richard Dornbush, Johnny Weir

ETA Top summer competition scores (170 or higher total):
    233.08 Richard Dornbush, Glacier Falls Summer Classic
    209.68 Grant Hochstein, Middle Atlantics (exh.)
    208.76 Jason Brown, Southport Summer Classic (exh.)
    204.99 Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Vail Invitational
    195.04 Keegan Messing, Liberty
    192.41 Max Aaron, Liberty
    192.33 Sean Rabbitt, LA Open
    191.56 Andrew Gonzales, Skate Detroit
    190.59 Brandon Mroz, Liberty
    190.06 Alexander Johnson, Skate Detroit
    188.87 Harrison Choate, Liberty
    188.68 Ross Miner, Liberty
    187.89 Vincent Zhou, LA Open (JR in U.S.)
    187.34 Philip Warren, Glacier Falls
    185.33 Nathan Chen, LA Open (JR in U.S.)
    184.31 Stephen Carriere, Glacier Falls
    181.03 Shotaro Omori, Golden West (JR in U.S.)
    178.90 Joshua Farris, Vail Invitational
    177.28 Wesley Campbell, Liberty
    175.63 Jonathan Cassar , Golden West
    173.23 Douglas Razzano, Golden West

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Wow.. I am sooo impressed with Nathen Chen. And he is only 13? This prodigious kid will mow over all the seniors in when he enters the rank. When is he able to join the Seniors? He certainly has the skills to play with the big boys.

3. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I'm really excited for Ricky and Johnny's upcoming Senior B.

4. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I think it's way too early to say that. He still has to get through te puberty monster. Plus, seniors is a whole other ball game.

5. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

What exactly is the completed / rotated Quad scorecard for American Men? I count -

Armin - x2 Quad Toe (Vail LP; Salt Lake Sr. SP)
    Max - x2 Quad Sal (Salt Lake Sr. SP + LP)
    Richard - x1 Quad Toe (Glacier Falls LP)
    Joshua - x1 Quad Toe (JGP Lake Placid LP)

I think the US men are at this point in better shape than last year ...

6. Proustable

Proustable New Member

2014/2015

7. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I think that Max will have a toe in his program by the end of the year too. Perhaps two sals and a toe in :O ... Imagine his program as 4Sal, 4Sal 2toe, 4toe, 3A, 3A 3T, 3Lz, 3Lz half loop 3s, and 3F. Sounds awesome.

8. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I'm very impressed with Max & think that he & Ricky Dornbush may be leading the way in the future for raising the bar on quads in the USA. American men have a lot of catching up to do internationally.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Mahbanoozadeh was quoted in the pre-SLC article on IN that he landed 4T in both his SP and FS with "+1 GOEs across the [judging] panel, so I was really happy."

Dornbush landed 4T with +1.50 GOE in his SP at Glacier Falls Summer Classic; he got credit for landing 4T with -1.25 GOE and fell on his 2nd 4T attempt in the FS. He fell on the 3 4T he attempted at Golden West.

Keegan Messing attempted 4T in both SP and FS at Glacier Falls - they were called 4T<<+2T in SP and 4T< fall in FS.

At Liberty, credited quad attempts in the FS were by Max Aaron 4S with -1 GOE (he fell on 4S in SP), Brandon Mroz 4Lo with -2 GOE (4Lo< fall in SP), Ross Miner 4S fall (4T< fall in SP).

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Copying over some of the Nathan Chen-related posts from the U.S. Men pre-season thread:
    Re-posting what I wrote in the JGP Austria thread in Kiss and Cry:
    2012 U.S. Novice Men's champ Vincent Zhou, who turns 12 in October, defeated Nathan Chen at the Golden West club competition last month (and overall at L.A. Open in July) -- he will contend for the 2013 U.S. Junior Men's title as well as Shotaro Omori (he's scheduled to compete at the JGP in Turkey next week) who also finished ahead of Chen at Golden West. Omori has acquired a 3A in the off season and is coached by Tammy Gambill, as is Zhou.

11. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

It is way too early. I'm really enjoying watching Nathan now. I'm trying not to project too far into the future (although I find myself getting caught up in the "what ifs" too, occasionally) So far I feel great admiration for the balance he, his coaches and his family have been able to achieve.

12. Proustable

Proustable New Member

You have him repeatng the 4Sal, 3A and 3lz. Replace the solo lutz with the loop, I expect.

13. jlai

jlai Title-less

Has anyone heard anything re: Kevin Shum? And have Tomasello and Spencer Howe recovered from injuries?

14. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The Zayak Rule treats quadruple jumps separately from triples. The layout johndockley92 mentioned complies with the Rule.

On the other hand, it would be nice to see Aaron do something to boost his PCS. :shuffle:

15. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

No, I don't think it does. The Singles Freeskating Requirements sheet posted on USFS (which I would assume complies with ISU rules) states that "2 triples or quads may be repeated, but must be in combo or sequence."

ETA: Maybe you were thinking of the rule that allows skaters not to get "Zayaked" for attempting a quadruple jump that ends up being downgraded. Early on in IJS, if a skater attempted a 4T but it was downgraded, the element would be entered into the protocol as "3T", and then if a skater subsequently performed two triple toes, the last one wouldn't count, since the computer counted that as three triple toes in the same program.

16. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

It appears that either I misunderstood the Rule or it has been changed.

Rule 512

So Aaron has to choose which two (at most) of the 4S, 3A, and 3Z he wants to try repeating.

17. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

As impressed as I am with Nathan, ITA!

Fingers-crossed that Nathan weathers these upcoming transitions smoothly. :)

Also, ITA with A.H. Black that I'm enjoying watching Nathan now and hoping his team continues to be successful in keeping him balanced and on track. It is a huge asset that Nathan seems to be highly motivated and mentally focused.

18. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

It was changed to include quad jumps, but I think the change was at least 10 years ago -- maybe around 1998/99? Before IJS, anyway.

19. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Weird, I didn't know about that! Either way, a program with 2 quad sals, a quad toe, two axels, a lutz, flip, loop, & Sal and toe (in combination) will give him a sure chance at a medal even with his components.

As for the Juniors, I'd say that Nathan, Shotaro, Lukas, Vincent, Jay, Kevin Shum, Troy, and perhaps even Emmanuel have a shot at the podium.

20. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Emmanuel is skating senior this season IIRC, though I believe he's battling some kind of injury as he pulled out of most or maybe even all the summer competitions he was entered in.

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I don't know the current status of Emmanuel Savary - he competed a Senior FS back in the spring but has not competed since, AFAIK, and may not have tested up.

Neither Kevin Shum nor David Wang, both of whom are listed in the ISP, have competed this summer, reportedly due to injury :(, and I haven't yet heard if either has registered for Regionals.

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

23. misskarne

misskarne #408

24. stevlin

stevlin Member

Me too, especially for Ricky Dornbush. When will that be and will it be on tv?

25. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^
    Does anyone know the answer to stevlin's questions?

26. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Ricky and Johnny will be at 2012 Finlandia Trophy Oct 5-7. Not sure on the TV part yet.

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

IIRC, last year there was some TV coverage in Finland of the Finlandia dance and ladies' event - if there is a non-geo-blocked live stream again this year, I'm sure someone will post a link in the TV Alerts forum. We're lucky to have fan videos every year - links will be posted in the Finlandia competition thread in Kiss and Cry (and should be searchable on YouTube).

Carriere and Messing will be at Nebelhorn Trophy next week - hopefully there will be fan videos posted like in the past.

RE. the upcoming U.S. Regional Championships, it looks like the only Senior Men's events scheduled are at Southwest Pacific (SWP) and New England (NE) - don't yet know about South Atlantics (SA).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  28. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

who are the entries?

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Southwest Pacific (5): Jonathan Cassar, Scott Dyer, Andrew Gonzales, Sean Rabbitt, Philip Warren - all should advance to Pacific Coast Sectionals due to the fill-up rule.

New England (2 elected to compete): Wesley Campbell, Brad Vigorito. Harrison Choate was registered as well but now has a bye due to his JGP assignment to Croatia.

30. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

Hi, Sylvia,

What is the fill-up rule?
    Also, have you heard anything about Austin Kanallakan?