U.S. Ladies vs. Euro Ladies- Which Comp this week will be more riveting?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, Jan 25, 2011.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

So, before the competition starts this week.

Which Ladiezzz comp will be more riveting ? US Nats or the European Championships?

I think it will be the US ladies - Czisny- GPF Champ. Will she stay upright? Only 2 spots available. Flatt, Czisny and Nagasu have all won an LP on the GP Circuit at least once.

OTOH, Kostner is limited in her jumps. Lepisto is out, which leaves Korpi, Leonova and Gedevanishvili

2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

So which U.S. ladies, Jr or Sr? I think the Jr. might be more exciting. :scream:

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm actually sad that the qualifying competition won't let us enjoy the first group of Euro ladies trashy voids :wuzrobbed

4. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

The JUNIOR ladies short at US Nationals was quite riveting, IMHO.

5. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Yes, I'm really into the junior ladies. Go Courtney Hicks! :)

But I'm also excited for senior ladies and I'm kind of excited for Euros, too. Let's just see what happens.

6. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

It certainly was. It was my first time seeing Courtney Hicks and she was amazing! I wish she was skating in seniors. :shuffle: I hope her LP is as good.

7. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

ITA. Katarina Kulgeyko is a Carolina Kostner in the making. Her spanish themed SP was brilliant!

Euros should be fun to watch, but I feel like we all know the podium will be Carolina, Kiira, and one of the Russians, so not much of a nail biter. I'm more interested in the men's event because the podium is so wide open this year.

8. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I actually think both competitions will be fun to watch. It's going to be a very exciting weekend! :cheer2:

9. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I had never seen Courtney Hicks before last night. She blew me away. How is she not skating in the Senior Nationals. That SP would have placed her in the top 5 no doubt. I can understand her not skating as a Senior internationally because there are so many good US skaters but she's in a class by herself as a Junior. The depth in US Ladies skating is incredible. The problem has been finding a champion among them in the last few years.

10. pinky166

IDK, I think if Katarina brings her 3-3 in the FS then she can give Hicks a run for her money. I was impressed with most of the junior ladies to be perfectly honest, they all looked really strong and even the girls from Easterns who don't have all the tech did quite well on the components side of things. Some of the girls are really young too, Edmunds is only 12 and Jiang 13.

11. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

Me too!!

About ladies: I think that ladies' event even with Lepisto wouldn't be more interesting than U.S nationals.

12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I think the US ladies will be very interesting- it's pretty wide open on who will get it. Czisny, Flatt, Nagasu, Wagner or will it be one of the newer girls?

I don't know if there really is a frontrunner...

13. poths

poths Well-Known Member

How can anyone classify US nationals as interesting when the likes of FLatt, Zawadski and Gao are likely to be the best of the bunch. :scream:

I do love a bit of Czisny.

Euros is going to rock my world between Korpii, Kostner, Meier and the Ruskies battling for medals and headcases like Gedevanishvili to keep you guessing. The OES trio of Lafuente, Meite and Vannut alone interest me more than US NATS, but then I'm weird.

14. pinky166

I feel like a lot of the US ladies are better than the current crop of Euro ladies, save Kostner.

15. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Define better? :confused:

I don't enjoy any US lady save Czisny and Nagasu, ocassionally. However I enjoy dozens of Euro ladies.

US ladies is a national contest. Most girls strive to be the same thing, pockets of them share the same coaches/choreographers layout, MITF etc.

Euros is a continental competition. There is way more variation in terms of program construction (granted, some strive for what American girls strive for too :drama: ) there are different approaches, from the pouty, to the moany, to the perky.

16. pinky166

I mean in terms of technical prowess. So many Euro ladies leave out a lot of triples and tend to double so many jumps. There are a good number of US senior ladies who have 3-3s and 2a-3ts and a full/almost full arsenal of triples. I mean if you look at Euros last year, Kostner won the event with 4 triples and a couple splats while at the US nationals we saw several solid performances.

17. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I think Courtney Hicks could have had one of the highest technical scores (maybe THE highest) if she were skating in Senior Ladies in Bern..:p

18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Just exactly which bit do you enjoy? :D

19. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Vannut: says it all right there. I KNEW I liked her!

20. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

And if Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva were skating in Bern... Or at the US Nationals (senior, junior, it doesn't matter)...

poths, I understand what you mean, but I think it all depends on what you like more. As for me, I find the Americans a bit similar. A lot of pretty princesses in similar dresses, maybe Alissa, who shows the real ladies skating, is an exception, but her technique is scary and she is as inconsistent as Kostner, and sometimes Ashley is fun to watch too, but not always. Flatt, Zawadzki and Gao are just boring.
    The Europeans are all different, Carolina and Kiira are real ladies. Kiira has a softer style, Carolina skates with power and I can watch her just moving across the ice forever, her skating skills, speed and lines are so good. The Russian girls are different too, Alena is a fire on ice and Ksenia can skate like a queen. And I also like Valentina Marchei and Sarah Meier. It makes Euros much more interesting for me.

The main problem with both competition for me is the fact that there's no skaters like Mao and Yuna, the leaders, the real champions. But maybe few years later when Liza and Adelina will be old enough...

poths and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Jammers

I see less depth in the European championships then at the US Nationals and the Europeans include many countries not just one like the US Championships.

22. poths

poths Well-Known Member

:lol: For the record, landing flutz', URs, mule kicking flips and lips does not "Technical Prowess" make.

Flatt and Nagasu can't even remotely touch the likes of Kostner, Lepisto or even Korpi in terms of basics. I'd put Czisny on par with Korpi.

Meh...

23. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Perhaps.
    You see Russia can only send 2 ladies, when in reality they'd have 8 or 9 that would destroy a host of the US gals.

I guess we'd need an Asian fan or a Aussie to solve this question, but let it be noted that a Euro wouldn't have had the arrogance/cattyness to even post this thread.

24. Jammers

Perhaps but the US has destroyed the Russians over the years in Ladies skating. There are years when we could have sent 5 or 6 skaters to the Olympics easily. And the US has been doing this since the 1950's with very few lulls in between.

25. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

And Russian pairs were undefeated in the Olympics for decades.
    And Canadian men have been historically very strong.
    And Japan has the deepest field in singles currently.

Different countries have strengths in different disciplines.

26. pinky166

Not really. Adelina yes, and then Liza, Ksenia, Alena maybe. There are some other young girls who are pretty good (Sheveleva, Agafonova, Shelepen, Lipitniskaya, Radinova) but I wouldn't say any of them would destroy the frontrunners at US senior or junior nationals at this point.

27. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch New Member

And who cares about basics if you can't do a lutz or a flip. ;)

The Sr ladies in Europe suck! :lol::lol:

The best ladies skater in Europe won't even be at Europeans this week (Sotnikova).

28. pinky166

That is all I am saying. Good basics are nice but they don't make up for double jumps.

29. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Oh yeah, I remember 3-3's at the US Nationals past 2-3 years, almost all of them were underrotated as well as some single triple jumps. Alissa won Nationals in 2009 with 3 triples in FS, Lepisto and Kostner at least did 3-3's when they won Euros past two years (clean and fully rotated 3-3's). Last year Flatt won the title at Nationals, a skater who can jump but lack everything else and is just boring. Half of Mirai's jumps in the FS were downgraded... In what way are they better?

30. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

Let me see.

Kostner: She has done lutz and flip all her senior career ecluding this season and part off last season. To make it clear if you have not yet understood: she is injured!

Lepistö: She has lutz. It has not been consistent before last season, but it is clean and nice now. I guess she could jump a second solo lutz in her LP and call it flip with wrong edge take-off like Ashley Wagner does with her flips/flutzes!

Korpi: She has lutz and flip. She has done lutz all her senior career. Flip has MIA for many seasons, but she landed one in Finnish Nationals this season.

And what comes to consistency, most of the American ladies are not that consistent either... :slinkaway