U.S. Ladies news & updates - road to Boston & beyond, 2013-14 season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 2, 2013.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

The only top skaters without a sr B who may still get one are Czisny, Mirai, and C Zhang? Unless USFSA gives Hicks another one

Eta: Wait, Zhang hasn't competed with her programs, so no sr B? (Will that criterion apply to Czisny?)

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I thought I read either in this thread (or another) that team Czisny requested competitions later into the Fall to ensure she competes healthy. My money is on her competing at Ice Challenge which someone pointed out conflicts with Sectionals and thus exempts her.

As for Zhang, who knows ... the USFSA is obviously not incredibly excited over her anymore

3. RD

RD Well-Known Member

But why should they be?

4. olympic

Well, I'm not a fan but I think the USFSA judges dumped her worse than she deserved at '13 Nationals. The 49.99 SP score was IMO ridiculously low.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Samantha Cesario article (pre-Champs Camp): http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/32658-samantha-cesario-up-for-the-challenge
    Excerpt:
    Cesario's final 2 tweets from Champs Camp included a photo of her and her coach, Mary Lynn Gelderman, and a caricature drawing of her and her roommates:

"Wonderful week here in Colorado. Thank you to everyone that helped put together such a great first #champscamp for me!" http://instagram.com/p/dbsZIIHMkc/

"Having a blast our last night at #champscamp ... so does it look like us?!" http://instagram.com/p/da02P-HMhl/

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  6. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I'm shocked how little Cesario skates..

7. Sylvia

Updates from Champs Camp on Gracie Gold, Christina Gao, and Alissa Czisny: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/08/26/58200968
    Excerpt:

8. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

9. olympic

According to the article, Alissa to do a local competition next month. She has all the jumps except the 3loop. Looking ahead, they are looking at the Coupe International de Nice toward the end of October.

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

And no 3sal. (she was attempting it in the 2012 season)

Is this French competition timed to allow her to skip Regionals or Sectionals? Looks like she is going to have to attempt 2 lutzes, 2 flips, 2 axels and 1 toe unless she gets her loop back in time. And the loop is the trickiest one for skaters with hip issues. Perhaps she shuld skip the loop and spend mroe time on the sal instead?

11. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Yes, she is a power skater and she should own it. I don't think she is one of those skaters that naturally strives to be a creative artist, but she knows she has to improve her presentation to move up and she is willing to work hard for it. I wish she had gone the Slutskaya Totentanz or Harding Juraissic Park route for one of her Olympic programs. Her power, speed and fast spins and huge jumps are so impressive, she needs music to highlight those strengths

12. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

I find this strategy confusing. I'm not an expert but I don't think a local comp will get her out of Regionals Oct. 4-8. Cup of Nice is October 23-27 but I thought the event had to be within 14 days of Regionals and this is 15 days - would this exempt her from Regionals?? She would still have to do Midwest Sectionals Nov. 19 - 24. If she was assigned to Ice Challenge she would be doing the international Nov. 19-23 and that would mean no Sectionals. Would USFS send Alissa to 2 internationals within 1 month??

13. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Maybe USFS wants Czisny to have to go through sectionals (just a guess)

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I think it's reasonable for USFS to facilitate Czisny to Nationals. If she must attend at least one qualifying comp, Regionals is much safer and easier for her to qualify, in case she isn't 100% yet.

15. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Seriously- Alissa should sail through Regionals on PCS and spins alone... (and deservedly so.)

16. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I really don't think that the US Figure Skating folks are sitting around discussing how they can get Alissa to the US Championships. Instead, I think it is more likely that the international committee is receiving updates on her readiness, and will send her to an event if and when her team believes she is ready. There might be some strategic assigning in sections where the competition is a big more tough, but I really don't think that this is the norm.

17. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Someone must be excited, or at least enthused, because she is competing at Skate America.

18. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

She will ensure that Ashley is the top US lady. Everyone has their role to play.

19. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

It's the Hail Mary spot, though I must admit Caroline has received that spot more than once in the last few years...

20. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I was thinking exactly the same thing. One of the up-and-comers or Mirai might upstage Ashley with her athletic ability, but Zhang won't.

21. RD

RD Well-Known Member

But don't Wagner's main competitors ALREADY have two (other) events? I can't buy this conspiracy theory...

22. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Exactly- and honestly Alissa could probably use a couple of competitions at this point to build some confidence.

23. Sylvia

It was posted today in the Finlandia Trophy thread in Kiss and Cry that Mirai Nagasu is listed as one of the competitors in the Finnish press release and confirmed on USFS' International Assignments page now.

Karen Chen and Yasmin Siraj placed 2nd and 5th, respectively, in the Junior Ladies SP today in Riga, Latvia (there's an event discussion thread in Kiss and Cry).
    Chen (3Lz+3T<, 2A, 3Lo): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDq1t66iF9w
    Siraj (3T+2T, 3Lo-, 2A): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtzrLpTlSfI

24. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Great news about Mirai!

(And the JGP season has already begun? Whoa. Go, Karen!)

25. Sylvia

JGP update: Karen Chen won the bronze medal in her JGP debut (not her best FS, though); Yasmin Siraj finished 6th overall.

26. olympic

Watched the video of her LP. It wasn't her best but you could tell she battled her nerves and gutted it out. Good for her! I think having Tammy Gambill as a coach will help her once she starts to grow, too

27. Sylvia

Karen Chen's excellent, winning Jr. Final round FS at Glacier Falls in early August (scored 119 points): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn9_1rr-IdY

JGP Latvia Ladies' medal ceremony fancam video link is posted in the Kiss and Cry as well as in the Russian news thread here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-Autumn-2013&p=3984552&viewfull=1#post3984552

Golden West club competition live stream link is posted both in the Kiss and Cry and in the TV Alerts forum. Vanessa Lam (Sr.) and Novice champ Tyler Pierce and Elizabeth Nguyen (Jr.) are among those scheduled to compete today and tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  28. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Interesting to see so Japan send so many (3) ladies to the JGP Latvia. I didn't realize that the combined results from Junior Worlds last season would have permitted that number of entries. Not complaining, just surprised. Great opportunity for the next generation, so I'm all for it.

29. olympic

30. Sylvia

OT reply to leapfrogonice: Japan had 2 ladies at the JGP Latvia (they were given 1 extra spot there).

Vanessa Lam skated a very pretty short program to "Illumination" by Secret Garden last night at Golden West - her jumps were 3Lz, 3F+2T, 2A fall.