U.S. Ladies news & updates - road to Boston & beyond, 2013-14 season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 2, 2013.

1. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Get it Sam!!!!!!!

I love her sassy new SP :smokin:

2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Yay! Finally, she gets what she deserves. Huge step forward for her..many congrats Samantha!

3. jlai

jlai Title-less

If Hicks doesnt get a gp will she be the first pewter medalist without one?
    I wish GP werent such an elitist club

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  4. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

That is Hicks could not be invited to Champs Camp, either.:fragile:

5. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Would Hicks be eligible for Nebelhorn or Finlandia? Maybe she could start getting some credibility for the season that way ...

6. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Im happy for Cesario :cheer2:

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Cranberry Open Senior Ladies SP 1-3 yesterday: Christina Gao 60.52 (last season's music, 3T3T?, 2A, 3Lo), Yasmin Siraj 54.60, Kiri Baga 49.14

ETA that Agnes Zawadzki competed at the Vail Invitational back in July (to fulfill her competition readiness requirement for the SLC Senior B) - her scores there were 65.05 in SP, 108.05 in FS, 173.10 total.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  8. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Good scores for Agnes and Christina.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

ioana reported in the Cranberry Open thread in Kiss and Cry that the top 3 in the Senior Ladies FS yesterday were Kiri Baga (105), Christina Gao (96), and Yasmin Siraj (93). Here are 2 videos:

Kiri Baga LP http://youtu.be/FXKAxJKHz7w (Samson and Delilah by Saint-Saens)

Christina Gao LP http://youtu.be/rKerxjNJkiQ
    This was the debut of her FS to the Angels and Demons soundtrack, choreographed by Tom Dickson. After opening with a nice 3T+3T & 2A, she mostly did deliberate doubles (jumps did not appear to be her focus in this first outing of her program).

10. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

I was just looking at the Golden West entries on entryeeze and it looks as though Vanessa Lam has switched to Tammy Gambill. She was listed under the Chapmans in those entries a couple of weeks ago.

11. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Christina was wonderful. 2axel was 1000% improved, and while she needs a lot more mileage with this program, she is expressing with her whole body. The program isn't building to a climax as much as I would like and I feel she is lagging behind towards the end. Also, I am remembering that she is capable of more extended moves than the ones she did during her choreographic sequence.

Baga on the other hand was a vision. A joy to watch. So elegant and musical. The lack of harder jumps will forever hold her back but she is probably one of the most interesting ladies skaters to watch in the US.

12. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Gao has a leg injury of some sort, I noticed in the clip she did two double toes in addition to the 3t-3t she opened with, making me think that she was doing toes in place of flips and lutzes, which made me think her take-off leg/foot is hurt or something. If that is the case, it could mean she intends on bringing back the 3f-3t after all, and simply was not doing any flip or lutz jumps here. Like the program so far though, and I noticed she switched boots to Edeas.

Also something I've been noticing with the ladies, was the point value for layback and/or biellman spins decreased or something, because I notice here with Christina as well as with Polina Edmunds and some other ladies, that they are doing combination spins with some layback features rather than a straight up layback spin.

13. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah and Christina is really reminding me of SHIZUKA these days. So elegant.

14. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Christina's program is so beautifully choreographed. :swoon:

Loved the energy of Kiri's FS program as well.

15. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Christina's program is GORG!! Wow! ITA w/ Marco: she's using her entire body which does wonders for her interpretation and projection. The 3-3 looked good but IDK what happened with the rest of the jumps. At this point I'm just excited about her program. Finally, a US senior ladies FS that looks like it was made for an Olympic year. Gracie, Mirai and Courtney should take note...

16. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

Absolutely love Christina's program. I find it rather haunting, a little magical, and she's beautiful as ever. I definitely see improvements, ranging from technical (much better 2A, as noted by another comment above, and the technique of the 3T+3T looks much more powerful, esp. with the higher 2nd 3T) to artistic (expression, command, fire). And, as usual the costume is exquisite :swoon:

While I'm a little surprised of the direction Tom Dickson has given her, I think it was a smart move. I'll always love the subtle, sweet, lyrical, traditionally beautiful Christina, but I don't think it was selling as well it could (see: her international PCS hardly moved above high 6's-low 7's). So, she needed something flashier, and little more commanding, and I think it's a mission accomplished. She's already a gorgeous, mature skater, but this might be that little "oomph" she needed. I feel like Dickson has given her a distinct look that's definitely not done by anyone else right now, not to mention a little out of the mold of the classic, war-horse pwetty pwogwams.

Good for her. She's going for it. Wee! :cheer2:

17. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I like what I see from Gao. Girl wants an Olympics. Stock up!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

ITA. Christina's issue last season wasn't her jumps. She managed to have several clean/near clean performances throughout the season. Her SP did a pretty good job of leaving an impression but her FS (from an impact/impression standpoint) wasn't big enough. Her Libertango FS was beautifully choreographed, well-paced and all-around a great program. The problem was Christina couldn't capture the fire, strength and passion needed to really make it shine so despite the great program and solid jumps, she always came in on the low end.

This year her FS does have a distinct look to it and you can tell she gets it. That little something extra that was missing last year is there in this program. I love what I've seen so far and I think it will continue to get stronger as she gets more and more comfortable with it. Her 2A is more aggressive and that's a plus. I hope she reintroduces that 3F-3T combo back into both programs. Her 3F is a gorgeous jump for her (great spring, good height, perfect air position and straight as an arrow) and I think adding that 3T shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I'm really cheering for Christina this year. I think she's the Akiko Suzuki of the US ladies. She's a solid skater who is consistently under-appreciated. She's been getting stronger over the years and, with this program, it looks like she's on the right path to snagging one of those spots in Sochi.

Go Christina! :cheer2:

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

It's a very recent change - the Coaches line in Lam's bio hasn't been updated yet: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=101153&mode=I
    Vanessa Lam's program music is now added:
    SP Music: "Illumination" by Secret Garden
    FS Music: Music from The Artist by Ludovic Bource (last year's)
    Her College line now reads: Harvard University (2018), which means she plans to enter in the fall of 2014 - congratulations to her! :)

Ashley Cain has been assigned to Nebelhorn Trophy - her first senior international. :cheer:
    Kiri Baga and Vanessa Lam are listed as the 2 alternates.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  20. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Am I the only person who doesn't like Christina's LP? It doesn't really suit her, and half the time she's just throwing her arms everywhere without much meaning... The program doesn't build either.

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

^^^ I see it as a work-in-progress.

Christina Gao has been assigned to Nepela Trophy, Oct. 3-5 in Slovakia (this will be her first Senior B :)): http://usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216

ETA that Angela Wang will make her JGP debut this season at the fourth JGP in Gdansk, Poland (she originally was assigned to the first one in Latvia). Yasmin Siraj is the "placeholder" name for Poland (her assignment likely depends on how she fares in Latvia).

22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I wonder if Hicks is getting any assignments this year. I thought she was likely for SA, or at least one of the International B's.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Hicks is assigned to the Senior B in Salt Lake City.

ETA that there are 3 more Senior B competitions listed on USFS' International Assignments page left to be assigned: Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 4-6), Cup of Nice (Oct. 24-27), and Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria (Nov. 19-24; conflicts with Sectionals).

24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Thanks Sylvia. I missed that. I'm glad she's got some assignment.

25. oliver

oliver New Member

I agree. I don't care for her program nor do I care for the dress. It accentuates her poor posture.

26. jlai

jlai Title-less

I thought Hicks being the pewter medalist would get Nebelhorn, which, counts towards seasons best since it's the Olympic qualifier according to another poster (while US skating Classic doesn't) . I'm surprised Cain got that instead. I hope Hicks will get another good assignment.

That said I'm thrilled Cain got a senior B! :cheer:

27. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

It's still got a ways to go, but for a debut, I liked it a lot. If there was anything I didn't like, it was the sleeves on her dress. Really distracting having the extra fabric near her hands because it looked like her sleeves were too long and getting in the way. I guess the designer was going for "angel wings" or something? Nitpicky, but there you are. Here's hoping Christina is in the mix for that third spot!! I'd love to see her get it!

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here are all the skater bio/program music updates that I've come across since my post #1 in this thread:

Samantha Cesario: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100850&mode=I
    SP Music: "Fever" by various artists
    FS Music: "Carmen Suite" by Georges Bizet and Konstantinovich Shchedrin (new FS after Liberty)
    Choreographer: Inese Bucevica
    Coaches: MaryLynn Gelderman, Jason Briggs
    Salt Lake Sr. B, Skate America (new)

Caroline Zhang: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100051&mode=I
    SP Music: Selections from The Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber
    FS Music: "Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto" by Chen/He
    Choreographer: David Wilson
    Coaches: Peter Oppegard, Karen Kwan-Oppegard
    Skate America

Alissa Czisny: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100046&mode=I
    SP Music: "Consolation No. 3 in D Flat Major" by Franz Liszt (new)
    FS Music: Selections from the Gone with the Wind soundtrack by Max Steiner and Richard Clayderman (last year's that she didn't get to skate at 2013 Nationals)
    Choreographers: Yuka Sato, Marina Zoueva
    Coaches: Jason Dungjen, Yuka Sato
    (Listed in USFS' International Selection Pool)

Rachael Flatt: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100068&mode=I
    SP Music: "Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber
    FS Music: "Piano Concerto No. 2" by Sergei Rachmaninov
    Choreographer: Rachael Flatt
    Coaches: Justin Dillon, Lynn Smith
    College: Stanford University (2015)
    (Listed in USFS' International Selection Pool)

Vanessa Lam: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=101153&mode=I
    SP Music: "Illumination" by Secret Garden
    FS Music: Music from The Artist by Ludovic Bource (last year's)
    Choreographers: Diane DeLeeuw-Chapman, Doug Chapman
    Coach (new): Tammy Gambill
    College: Harvard University (2018)
    (Listed as an alternate for the JGP and Nebelhorn Trophy)

Kiri Baga: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100820&mode=I
    SP Music: "Dark Eyes" by Florian Hermann
    FS Music: "Samson and Delilah" by the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
    Choreographers: Garrett Kling (SP), Pasquale Camerlengo (FS)
    Coaches: Peter Johansson, Mark Mitchell
    College: Simmons College (2018)
    (Listed as an alternate for Nebelhorn Trophy)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  29. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

That was my issue with it. I'm reserving judgment though, to see how it develops through the season.

Christina would be my preference for the 3rd spot. I hope she makes a good case for it.

30. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Nitpicky - NIMHO! I had the exact same thought. Very flappy. Very distracting. And she is a beautiful girl and a beautiful skater. No need to distract.