U.S. Ladies news & updates - road to Boston & beyond, 2013-14 season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 2, 2013.

1. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

Yes. Her birthdate is 8/16/1999.

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Regarding SA - Hicks is making a strong case (thus far) for herself to be chosen and it remains to be seen what the status of Czisny's recovery is. But, I think the TBA spot will come down to the two of them.

3. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

4. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

I don't think Courtney would beat Ashley, honestly. She's a great jumper and put out a high TES, but she will get docked in PCS.

Looking at the roster, she is part of the group that will likely finish 3-6:Tuktamysheva, Radionova, Meite. I think she can beat Helgesson, Gedevanishvili, Marchei and Zhang.

5. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Any vids of Rachael's competition in Colorado. I hope she comes back, no matter what her chances.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  7. Sylvia

Update for post #1:

Caroline Zhang - bio now updated with 2013-14 program music: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100051&mode=I
    SP Music: Selections from The Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber
    FS Music: "Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto" by Chen/He
    Choreographer: David Wilson
    Coaches: Peter Oppegard, Karen Kwan-Oppegard
    Skate America

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  8. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Wow, sometimes I forget that Zhang is still skating...

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Sylvia

Re-posting these 5 videos from the Glacier Falls competition thread in Kiss and Cry (thanks to UMBS!):

Courtney Hicks
    SP Music: Music from the Soul Surfer soundtrack by Marco Beltrami
    FS Music: Music from Evita by Andrew Lloyd Webber
    Choreographers: Alex Chang (SP), Jonathan Cassar (FS)
    Short Program (63.39, 1st)
    Free Skate (122.47, 1st)

Polina Edmunds
    SP Music: "Pink Cherries Cha-Cha-Cha," "Besame Mucho" and "Another Cha-Cha" by Ballroom Orchestra
    FS Music: "Solveig's Song," "Morning" from Peer Gynt Suite by Edvard Grieg
    Choreographer: Marina Klimova
    Short Program (56.37, 3rd)
    Free Skate (117.23, 2nd)

Mirai Nagasu Short Program (56.67, 2nd) to "The Man I Love" by Gershwin, choreographed by Cindy Stuart.

The 2 winning Senior Ladies programs at Liberty in July:
    Samantha Cesario SP (57.05) to "Fever" - 3Lo+3Lo<, 3F, 2A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nosf97iFoQM
    Ashley Cain FS (102.78) to "Ave Maria" - 5 of 6 triples landed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=laABaSsYXSc
    I hope Cain will get an international assignment.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  10. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

:swoon::cheer::cheer2: Love love love Butterfly Lovers! I'm sure Caroline will play it beautifully. I just got good memories of Chen Lu now. :swoon:

11. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Same, though the bar is thus set high for those who remember. Here's to hoping she makes it "her own"

12. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I love the Butterfly Lovers choice. But POTO is my most hated warhorse of all, it would take a clean performance by Patrick Chan with Quads for this music to be bearable, and Caroline won't be doing that for sure.

13. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

14. Sylvia

Tweeted by @SammiCesario: "So excited to be competing for #TeamUsa at 2013 @HiltonHHonors Skate America! #dreamcometrue"
    :)

ETA that Cesario has a new FS (she had a successful SP to Carmen not long ago):
    Samantha Cesario: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100850&mode=I
    SP Music: "Fever" by various artists
    FS Music: "Carmen Suite" by Georges Bizet and Konstantinovich Shchedrin
    Choreographer: Inese Bucevica
    Coaches: MaryLynn Gelderman, Jason Briggs
    Salt Lake Sr. B, Skate America

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  15. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Thrilled for Cesario! And is she already dumping Titanic? Great as I wasn't so impressed about it at Liberty.

I feel bad for Hicks though.

16. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

wow, quite surprise that hicks didn't get that spot. any chance for her with the subsitute list. but great to see cesario at SA

17. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Hicks is pretty far down the subs list, unlike Cesario

18. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Happy for Cesario, but the mind wanders to the grassy knoll...

Would Hicks have been a threat to Wagner?
    Did Csizny sekretly admit she had no chance this season?

Glad it's not Csizny, would have been happy for any of the other contenders.

19. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

great music choices for caroline zhang, especially the free skate.

hope she will have a great season and will not get robbed as at last seasons nationals sp. as i cannot imagine her going beyond the 2014 season, i hope she will get a satisfying end to her career. and if she moves on, she will make me a very happy fan :lol:

i think it will be very important for her to be really on her game at skate america with great international scores, and us federation realizing that. fingers crossed.

20. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I was a Cesario fan before it was trendy. :p Glad she's finally starting to get her due.

21. demetriosj

Yes!

22. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Why did the USFSA pass up Jason for Adam? Rippon has reached his peak as far as i'm concerned. Jason is the future of US skating if he continues to improve. And why didn't they give Courtney Hicks SKam instead of Cesario? Hicks has been on fire this summer. I guess the USFS really wants Wagner to make the GP final since she will have no competition at all from Zhang or Cesario.

23. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

Well, truth be told, Cesario was 4th at Junior Worlds last year, and Hicks was 5th. On top of that, the difference in PCS is pretty large. Courtney sure can jump, but I don't think she's ready for the senior circuit. IMO, Cesario has a more mature look and feel and is a little past the junior level just by that. Hicks can certainly jump, but I don't think she would break out of low 6's for PCS...she was barely breaking high 5's at the JWC (http://www.isuresults.com/results/wjc2013/wjc2013_JuniorLadies_FS_Scores.pdf)

I do wonder if this USFSA telling Courtney she's not in it for a spot on the Oly/World team though...hmm :slinkaway

As to those talking about Czisny, I think it's still too early to speculate. AFAIK She was doing 3T's regularly only about a month ago (I got that from Adam Rippon's TSL Interview), and I don't think she'll be competing on the Grand Prix at all. However, she can still pull a Michelle Kwan and have a moment at U.S. Nationals. :swoon: Only time will tell!

24. jlai

jlai Title-less

I highly doubt they think Cesario is in the running for Sochi and Hicks isnt. More likely that the deicison came before Glacier Falls

25. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Actually I don't think so. Hicks has great technical prowess but Wagner would almost certainly come out on top in the PCS. Unless Wagner melted down, but based on her competitive history that would be an unlikely occurrence.

IMHO Gold is the only serious threat to Wagner AT THIS POINT.

26. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Quite surprised that USFS did not hold off on filling SA slots until after Champs Camp concludes at the end of next week.

27. Sylvia

I assume the ladies' decision was made before Champs Camp so that either Cesario or Hicks could be invited to the camp in Colorado Springs next week.

28. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

Excellent decision by USFS in my book. I think Cesario is a stunning, mature skater on the ice and consistent in competition. I am very excited about her if she can stay injury free. Hicks will have her day no doubt..and hopefully will be working hard on her presentation skills this year.

29. demetriosj

Politics? as usual in most of their questionable decisions..

30. Sylvia

If people want to complain (or say anything else) about the men/pairs/dance TBA selections, here's the link to the Skate America TBA spots discussion thread in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?88850-TBA-Skate-America-2013-spots-discussion

Another thread in the Trash Can features SP and FS videos of a talented Intermediate level skater named Tessa Hong at the Glacier Falls club competition: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?88897-TSL-quot-Tessa-Hong-A-Rising-Star-quot