U.S. Ladies [#9]: Battle to/in Boston

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

This. Faking an illness is a cowardly tactic and Ashley has shown time and again that she is no coward.

2. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

I certainly hope their experience, maturity and overall skating quality are reflected in their PCS. Rooting for the old gals (relatively speaking ;) )

3. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

I love Ash being very brave to make this sport more popular in US. Hope she can manage to deal with those sticky media people such as coughHersh and coughcoughTSL. ;) Wish the best for her at GPF.:cheer2:

4. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why TSL thinks that if Ashley loses to some of the Russian babies at the GPF that she'll suddenly get the short shrift from the judges. How does that make sense? One bad competition doesn't kill your career. Mao had an awful fall grand prix season in 2009-2010 (with other skaters beating her left and right) and it certainly didn't hurt her scores in Vancouver...

5. smarts1

Let's hope so and that Julia doesn't get another 33 for PCS in the SP...

6. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I agree, this isn't 6.0 anymore. Losing to Mao in the fall of 2005 didn't hurt Slutskaya at the 2006 Olympics. Her PCS in the SP were higher than her PCS in the 2005 Worlds SP (30.34 to 30.49).

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Trying to stay relevant, the Hersh method.

8. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Maybe because the Olympics are going to be in Russia? As we saw at the COR the judges can't wait for a excuse to prop up the scores of the Russian skaters. Losing to the Russian girls in the GPF gives them a excuse to keep Ashley down in Sochi.

9. smarts1

I doubt that would happen though... Besides, there are only 2 ladies spots for the Russians this year, and we don't even know who's going to be on that team since any 5 of them could be on it.

On a side note, it is interesting that Mao got nearly a 35 for PCS in the SP at the GPF while Ashley only got a 32. I would have expected closer to a 33 considering Adelina got a 31.

10. smarts1

Even in the 2001-2002 season, Sarah Hughes beat Michelle in Skate Canada, and it obviously didn't affect Michelle's marks in the SP at the Olympics (even with the 3 flip)... If anything Sarah was hammered...

11. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Experience should not be relevant to PCS. It shouldn't matter how long a skater has been skating or at that level, only how good they are in a particular performance, and when "new" or young or unknown skaters are held down because they aren't known to the judges then that's one of the biggest travesties of judging. Likewise, "maturity" per se is not a judging criterion and suggesting that it should be reflected to me shows unfair bias against those who are or look young. (There might be legitimate aspects of what you are considering under "maturity" that really should be considered under PCS, and that perhaps older and more experienced skaters tend to be better at, but there are certain ways in which very young or small skaters aren't going to appear as "mature" no matter how good they are in legitimate areas of PCS, so phrasing it as "maturity" per se as being desirable is a pet peeve of mine). Sometimes youthful enthusiasm and exuberance are described as "immature" but can be very positive in terms of both enjoyment and some areas of PCS, like personality and emotional involvement with the program.

12. mag

mag Well-Known Member

It doesn't surprise me. Both Ashley and Adelina skated really well. I actually would have had them tied in PCS based on their performances today, but a one point difference is fine because over five categories it is less than .25.

13. smarts1

Well I just watched Ashley's SP and I think that's the first I ever saw the score tracker increase after a program ended instead of decreasing 2 points like it always seems to do. Ashley seemed disappointed with her scores though... I think she said to Rafael that she thought her score would be higher.

Actually it seemed like most of the girls were disappointed with their scores. Particularly Julia too.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  14. smarts1

Also, :eek: at Polina's and Angela's scores in the SP at the JGPF. Like I said, they're not a threat to go to the Olympics.

15. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

You got that right. They seem to be falling in line with the rest of the American girls. Scared to death!

16. smarts1

Also what is with all the Russian babies being so bendy and stretchy? It's scary how similar they are to one another from jump technique to overall packaging to skating skills...

17. smarts1

I think they're fine, but their time is not now. It will be in 2018.

18. smarts1

I think they're fine, but their time is not now. It will be in 2018. Also, is it just me or does it look like Angela's grown/become more womanly (in terms of her figure).

19. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Let me clarify. Experience, maturity, quality...those are buzzwords I can use to get my idea across without having to take the time to go into detail or having to actually explain anything :p. Let me rephrase to reflect what I meant by that:

I certainly hope that Mao's soft knees, elegance from her toes to her fingertips, understated passion, soulful musical interpretation, elegant and classic spin positions, +3 holy cow footwork, and ability to emote to an audience are reflected in her scores. Moreover, I certainly hope that Ashley's refined skating skills, complete control of her upper body movement, classic elegant posture, new-found facial expression, sense of conveying emotion, the excitement of her fiery attack and increased technical content, her rejuvenated footwork sequences, and complete package of all of the above are reflected in her scores. (And unfortunately last night I thought they were a little stingy with the PCS)

:)

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

Well said regarding both skaters. Both skaters are clearly ahead of the rest of the pack in many ways and that should have reflected more. I think Ashley should have hit that 70 mark this time but I suspect given she skated 2 skaters before Mao that the judges were holding back marks in case she didn't skate to form.

Oh well, hopefully they both skate well in the long program and distance themselves from the rest.

21. smarts1

I think she would have broken 70 if they gave her a level 4 for her step sequence like she's been getting all season.... In general, almost all the skaters seemed a little disappointed with their marks after their SP. Ashley and Julia in particular. Julia had a bitc* face going on there in the kiss and cry. Guess the judges shouldn't have pampered her so much at TEB.

22. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Wang has always had a more sturdy, womanly build compared to her competition in juniors. She had her growth spurt at an earlier age than most ladies skaters and didn't grow very tall because of it. People have said she resembles Caroline Zhang build-wise for a couple years now, though Angela is a good few inches shorter and less busty which likely helps her jumps. I don't notice a change in her build this season, and honestly I think her issues are primarily mental unfortunately. She has good technique and the jumps seem easy for her when she hits them. She may not have the ideal build for figure skating, but she's short, quite strong and muscular, and far from heavy at all so I don't think her body type is really hurting her jumping ability. She just seems to lack confidence and headcase in competitions. Her technique could maybe be improved a little bit but it's pretty solid, and the fact that she can nail 3lz-3ts easily one day and fall on everything the next speaks to a mental or training issue rather than a technique or physical one IMO

23. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Did you mean the Russian GP?

Well the Russian Fed could only politik so much at each competition. Watching Sot and Lip back to back you will realize how much Sot has better elements and has the better overall package. Besides her insane flexibility, nothing about Lip's skating really stands out. Having said that, I am sure her consistency will allow her to make up ground in the free.

Also, I think Sot's more conservative jump strategy recently is a smart plan and will work wonders for her. She is showing clean programs and will be building good momentum heading into Nationals and Euros / Sochi.

I suspect whoever that places better between Sot and Lip at GPF and Euros will receive a huge GOE and PCS surge at Sochi.

24. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

:fragile: ITA, what a way to lay flat dead and have the Russian girls walk on to victory. They did not make a case to go to Sochi, to say the least.

On the other hand, think of Worlds last year and the Sochi qualifications. Wagner/Gold were really a long shot to qualify 3 spots, especially given Golds inconsistency and inexperience. Both Sot and Tuk were more experienced and they had a 3rd lady in Leonova who could help if either imploded (not to mention she was the reigning silver medalist). As the Sochi qualifier, it was by far the most important competition of this quad , and US ladies delivered against really unlikely odds, while Russian ladies really blew it when the stakes could not be higher. Ice is slippery.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Excerpt from USFS' GPF/JGPF Day 2 recap: http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2013/12/06/2013-grand-prix-final-junior-grand-prix-final-day-2-recap/
    Edmunds' FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAOa6-TMTcw

26. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Edmunds had an excellent free skate, with no downgrades, and if she can combine a skate like that with a clean short then I think she still has a shot Sochi if the big names (Zawadzki, Gao, Nagasu) falter.

27. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Yes, that was lovely. I hope she at least gets to go to 4CC. Do we know if she's guaranteed any Senior GP spots next year or is it too soon?

28. smarts1

... Well that was an uneventful splatful GPF performance from everyone excluding Julia... Ashley's lutz is worrisome. It's been quite wonky all season. She barely got off the ice on the lutz in her LP. And that jump layout is not working for her. Putting a three jump combo as the last jump element of your program is way too risky and it's not really working for Ashley. I hope they rework some of these elements before Nationals. Maybe her team is working to have Ashley peak around the Olympics and Nationals?

I'm also surprised Mao is going for 2 triple axels in the long...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  29. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I will watch the telecast tomorrow. But, looking at the protocols, I don't think anyone is very happy including Julia who was the only one to stay on her feet but below her best. Adelina was probably the most unhappy - what a disaster. With Russia having only 2 spots and Russian Nationals in just a few weeks, I think Adelina's performance in the LP may have put spot #2 back into play. A rejuvenated Tuktamysheva might get it.

AW - I was thinking the same thing about the Lutz: When she lands it, it looks really 'wild'. I wonder if she's working w/ RA on a proper outside edge in practice and it's throwing off her rhythm (?).

Regarding the 3 jump combo, I think an alternative is to put it on the 2d 3loop where she has a little more energy. I was going to say put it on the 3(f)lutz which is an even earlier jumping pass and she'd still get a bonus, but it seems to be a jump in progress for whatever reason and that's probably not a good idea! A final thought would be to put it on the 1st 2x, but then we would lose the beautiful split jump out of the 2x, and she's lose a bonus but still might make it up w/ a Rippon toe like in her LP from the last 2 seasons.

Oh well, I think she said she just wanted a medal here and she got that. But, a big opportunity was there for her to grab the silver. It would've solidified her position as a chief contender for the Bronze in Sochi, but I think it's now just a horse race among herself, whoever the Russian baby du jour in February will be, and Kostner (who I have a hunch will markedly improve in the next month or two).

I hope she works it out. She has plenty of time between now and Nationals, which should be less stress-laden for her than last year w/ the US having 3 spots and she's already defended the title once and has proven herself over and over to the USFSA. I think Nationals should be about skating for herself and working out the kinks looking forward to Sochi, not necessarily competing w/ the other US ladies including Gracie Gold. She has a spot in the top #3 w/ a subpar skate regardless, so she should just skate for herself w/ an eye on a bigger goal.

Finally, I hope this isn't becoming last season where she began to unravel a little in the LP at the GPF and didn't regain her form until WTT. :(

30. jlai

jlai Title-less

I actually think nationals will be tough for Ashley as a defending champ yet again. BUT, she only needs top 3, no need to repeat the win to go

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.