U.S. Ladies [#9]: Battle to/in Boston

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

I hope she would be considered (considering also how well the other contenders do at Nationals). IIRC, after Ross Miner withdrew from his first Nationals as a Senior he was named to the Junior World team because he had had such a strong fall season, though he ended up withdrawing from Junior Worlds also.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Karen Chen's name has been added to the Junior Ladies roster as a Bye: http://www.usfsa.org/content/2014 qualifiers.pdf

However...
    In the blog comments, "fractured ankle" (hearsay) is mentioned by others but NOT confirmed by Karen herself. If a fracture is in fact involved, then her status for Nationals may still be up in the air. Only time will tell, of course.

If she ends up not competing at Nationals, I think it's possible she will be considered, depending on how well she recovers and also how others skate in Boston (as RFOS mentioned above).

3. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sylvia. I'm glad to see that she's not out yet.

4. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

For senior ladies there are 21 participants at Nationals. This is a very deep field.
    19 (!) of those ladies have achieved minimum scores to compete internationally; only Forte (she competed last internationally at Skate America in 2011) and Chiera (has not competed internationally) have not.
    Forte and Chiera are also the only two who aren't in the ISP.

Eastern
    Kiri Baga (SC of Boston)
    Franchesca Chiera (Panthers FSC)
    Joelle Forte (SC of New York)
    Yasmin Siraj (SC of Boston)

Midwestern
    Mariah Bell (Rocky Mountain FSC)
    Ashley Cain (Stars FSC of Texas)
    Barbie Long (Illinois Valley FSC)
    Hannah Miller (Lansing SC)

Pacific Coast
    Rachael Flatt (St. Moritz ISC)
    Leah Keiser (All Year FSC)
    Vanessa Lam (All Year FSC)
    Caroline Zhang (All Year FSC)

Bye
    Samantha Cesario (SC of New York)
    Polina Edmunds (Peninsula SC)
    Christina Gao (SC of Boston)
    Gracie Gold (Wagon Wheel FSC)
    Courtney Hicks (All Year FSC)
    Mirai Nagasu (Pasadena FSC)
    Ashley Wagner (SC of Wilmington)
    Angela Wang (Salt Lake Figure Skating)
    Agnes Zawadzki (Broadmoor SC)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  5. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ Wait, Kiri is now at the SC of Boston?!?! Since when?

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

7. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

This summer. She started studying at Simmons College this fall, I believe, so SCOB is the closest skating rink to her college in Fenway. Also, I think she and Toth stopped skating together this summer so Kiri was then free to go to college and train where she pleased, and Boston was obviously a good choice for both.

8. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Mark and Peter do not tech good jump technique. They never have. Their students are WELL-TRAINED aka they do lots of run throughs which usually leads to decent consistency, and they are packaged well, so that's why SCOB skaters have done reasonably well and some quite well, but none of them really have good jump technique unless they are imported from somewhere else (eg. Gao and Baga, who had all the triples before they came to Mark and Peter). Training hard and doing lots of runthroughs will only take you so far if your jump technique is average at best, which is what we're starting to see with Yasmin and Ross IMO. They are trained and in-shape, but the teknik is just not reliable and the result is jumps that don't happen in competition. I also think Christina's jumps looked better under Orser, save the 2a (which still has a weird technique) and maybe the 3lo (though I attribute this more to her doing 3lo more now as she includes it in her SP), even though her consistency, physical strength, and stamina seem better under Mark and Peter. SCOB has some pretty good pairs coaches though so Yasmin could be a promising prospect for that, although being a lefty won't help matters at all and I think she's about 5'2" now so it's not like she's super tiny anymore.

9. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

Courtney Hicks just won an event over Miki And: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mz-MUHTV40

Holy cow, IMO, her triple lutz is really the best of all current ladies skating, Gracie included. Hers is high, fast, covers a lot of ice, and has a smooth, fast, flowing landing. Love it! Both of her lutzes scored postive GOE. The second lutz in particular was fantastic. Her jumps are starting to remind me of my favorite jumper of all time, Midori Ito. :)

10. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Re: Courtney....there is no merit to enormous jumps under this system if you can't show a solid/flowy and controlled landing (for GOE and impact). She hooks the landing of every jump but that pretty lutz, she shows little to no body control on most landings, and the effect of the jumps is marred significantly. That hurts when her largest merit in skating is her jumps, after all.

Midori had those enormous jumps, but she could control them and show solid outflowing landings that did not hook. Massively impressive that Midori was able to achieve such a feat. I wish that Courtney could hone that ability!

11. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Those are huge, high lutzes!! Hope the judges don't ignore her at Nationals.......but I'm not holding my breath.

12. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

Hicks has the jumps but little else. I'd rather watch Alissa just stroke across the ice.

13. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Bless Alissa. But if skating were just all stroking, she would still succumb to nerves. Ten seconds into her program she would slid across the ice like Bambi with her gangly legs up in the air, very unladylike, and then hit the boards with a big thud.

Skating is a sport. Courtney has a lot of improvements to be made but I love seeing her fearless jumping out there on the ice. Good for her. I'm still not rooting for her to take that third spot though. :lol:

14. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Loved that from Courtney. She looks much less frenetic. Hope she skates that was at Nats.

15. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Not me!

16. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

With the exception of Alissa, everyone with any sort of rep has made it to Nationals. I hope it's an interesting, exciting competition.

Polina is skating as a Senior at Nationals, eh?

17. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

18. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

Just watched Courtney skate - my goodness she is so sloppy! After this season, she needs to get into a dance class and work on her basic skating!

19. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

^^^
    THIS! Courtney is a lovely girl but she's a jumper. Nothing more going on for now.

^^^
    And THIS!

20. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

LOL at your first sentence. This is true.

I agree that skating is a sport but CH needs so much more refinement before I'm okay with her getting on any Olympic teams.

21. jlai

jlai Title-less

Is her basic skating that poor? I thought her basics are comparable to other senior ladies, but her posture and line are where she's not competitive

22. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

Well, her basics aren't great and her performance/interpretation ability is low. I'd put her basics and interpretive ability behind those of Wagner, Gold, Nagasu, Zawadski, Gao, Cain, Wang, Miller, Edmunds, Chen, even Flatt and Cesario (except Hicks has better speed than those two). She only has the jumps and if they fail her, not much else.

23. jlai

jlai Title-less

I think you are lumping her bladework and her interpretive ability together. Some skaters with good stretch and line actually dont have great bladework. Cough...Wagner...cough

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  24. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Hicks live, but I would put her blade work about on par with Wagner. Wagner is much better than Hicks at all the other PCS categories, but basic skating skills, not so much. Dd went on a mini tirade at worlds about all this things Wagner does wrong when she does cross overs.

Hicks does have explosive jumps, but they do look a little like they are a wing and prayer some times. IMHO she needs to spend some time with an ice dance coach.

25. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Sure Wagner doesn't have the best edges BUT she has phenomenal strength and control over her body and can control whatever she's doing on her blades. Courtney has no control over her body (think core, and controlling shoulders etc), just look at her landing positions and the way by which she skates out of corners. And in terms of skating skills, bladework is just one part of that, there are many facets to skating skills. Wagner is a mile and a half better than Hicks in all aspects of skating skills, but albeit with shallow edges. No one should ever lump Wagners skating skills with Hicks.

26. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I saw some improvements by Courtney in terms of choreography and expression at the recent Ice Challenge. The edges in her footwork looked deeper and more secure, too.

Is it top tier yet? No, but she's definitely putting the effort in.

Even if she misses a jump, she's still the only top U.S. lady attempting 7 triples repeating the Lutz and the flip. With two double Axels as well, she's basically maxing out her difficulty.

The choreograph sequence definitely needs work, but I didn't find her flying catchfoot camel unattractive.

I expect to see even more improvement by Nationals think she has a real shot at the Olympic team.

27. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Hicks reminds me of Surya in a lot of respects, just better than Surya. To the very least, Surya made some interpretation attempts at her music though...

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

29. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

On Franchesca Chiera - it was a delightfully pleasant surprise to see the rise of a fresh face and exciting story (jump from Novice to Senior). Watched her Free program, which was thoughtfully isolated and pitched on the video page of the Icenetwork coverage and enjoyed her energy. BUT was quite struck by the construction/jump content. Almost all of her jumps were of the 'toe' variety (toe/flip/lutz). There was a double axel but otherwise no edge jumps. Obviously, skaters can have preferences and/or 'nemesis' jumps (e.g., Kristi Y only ever delivered a clean triple salchow apparently when when she won US Nationals in 1992) but still, why no loop? no salchow?

It 'worked' for her just fine. Base value for flip and lutz being what they are and all that, but was curious to know if she had in her arsenal what are considered (given lower base values) less difficult triples.

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Franchesca Chiera landed a clean 3Lo in her FS: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2014/2014_eastern_fs_sectionals/SEGM026.html
    (She had a Salchow in her FS earlier in the season.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.